Staff Tony Iro

mosh_old

Just wondering remember back when Tony Iro said the Warrior are over the cap on air on SkyTV and got sacked a week later?
Was he right about us being over the cap back then, I think it was 2003-2004. Quite interesting as I think some people owe him an apology now...

PHANTOM MENACE_old

He was right. And still is. Every club is over the cap or has been in the last 2-3 years

raypower_old

Ackland probably has just as much chance as Iro but what's the point in discussing when Ivan seems to be on solid ground currently?

edguy_old

. well i just hope our next coach isnt afraid to drop out of form players , or blokes that arent cutting the mustard ....

thats the point

Skinny_Ravs82

A bit premature to be making that assumption, though understandable considering you don't like what's going on. But if the situation came up, I would think we should get some one from outside of the Warriors.

Iafeta_old

Sound the bells, they're 3-4 with most of their best players out, time for the coach to be beheaded....

edguy_old

yep .we get flogged every time we play away , and we keep the same out of form, under performing players week in week out ..... and we 14 th on the ladder ...ahead of sains and souths .....woo hoo go us ...
we going great guns !!!

Iafeta_old

Who said we're going great guns?

If I recall correctly last year he also lost 6 in a row. Ended up going ok from recollection.

The difference this year to last year is simple - last year, no injuries.

This year....

Steve Price
Wade McKinnon
Jerome Ropati
Manu Vatuvei

I mean realistically, that's our best four players aside from Brent Tate. Take 4 out of 5 best players out of any club, they're going to struggle. Furthermore, there are NO other players in the top 25 available for selection this week. This is it. Who knows if would have made further changes if blokes were AVAILABLE.

edguy_old

anyways .. i wasnt calling for cleary to be sacked...
but asking what people thought about tony iro possiby coaching us in the years to come?

Iafeta_old

Haven't even crossed that bridge. Haven't thought about any potential coaches in the future. The time will come, but at this stage the club expects Ivan to be here until the end of 2010 and I think it's supposition at it's worst to wonder what they'll do at the end of 2010 in relation to the first grade coaching position. It's kinda like wondering what we'll do when Russell Packer retires.

Warrioraholic_old

Im happy as with Ivan, it sounds like hes fighting a battle just to get 17. Just a bad run of luck really

2big2strong_old

Haven't even crossed that bridge. Haven't thought about any potential coaches in the future. The time will come, but at this stage the club expects Ivan to be here until the end of 2010 and I think it's supposition at it's worst to wonder what they'll do at the end of 2010 in relation to the first grade coaching position. It's kinda like wondering what we'll do when Russell Packer retires.

It's not that irrelevant of a subject is it? I mean, cleary's contract expires in 2 and a half seasons, I'd like to think Packer's got another 15 in him. The talk earlier in the year was that Melbourne Storm had Cleary in mind to replace Bellamy if he had of gone to Brisbane, so there are clubs out there keeping a close eye on him and him being an Aussie you'd think he'd take a decent deal to head back accross the tasman for his families sake. I like the look of Iro, and I think he'd be the automatic selection. Ackland is more of a developement officer than head coach material. anyway,

Jesbass_old

It's a 'what if' question, and dozens of them form the structure of this forum every week.

There's certainly no harm in asking the question. edguy said nothing about wanting Cleary sacked - he was just saying did we think that Iro might be his successor. Like it or not, Cleary won't be with us forever. Bennett is well and truly the exception, (and even Bennett at the Broncos is a different story from Bennett at the Raiders). The average life expectancy of a first grade NRL coach is decidedly low.

The club may not be looking to replace Cleary just yet, but it would be foolish of them to not consider the future.

For the record, I'm undecided on Iro, but I agree with 2b2s that Ackland seems more suited to being a development officer than a coach.

Iafeta_old

Who's going to be the next CEO Jes? What about the next head trainer? We have absolutely no idea, those are issues for the club to address. Much like those positions, it's nigh on impossible from outside the club to formulate an opinion on Tony Iro's coaching crudentials just yet. We're 7 games into his first season in charge of the Juniors, last year he coached the Lions where they finished outside the 8. The variables here are huge and unknown. Of course the club would draw up a succession plan, that's an HR model any smart business must have in place, but I would suggest they probably have a skill set, knowledge base or experience type in mind rather than a specific name or date for that to be an issue and would subsequently be attempting to provide both Ackland and Iro with those learning cultures internally to give them the opportunity. Got no problems with this being discussed, but it's like picking a needle out of a haystack. Any number of variables can and will happen in the meantime.

2b2s, I don't recall Cleary being a Storm option, I do recall Brisbane expressing an interest, and hence the Warriors moved to extend his contract. I recall some quite supportive of Tony Kemp's selection from coming within the ranks at the time, but that didn't work out. Whilst it's ideal to promote within, it's nigh on impossible for me to think who our potential candidates would be at the year 2011, if needed.

Jesbass_old

Who's going to be the next CEO Jes? What about the next head trainer? We have absolutely no idea, those are issues for the club to address. Much like those positions, it's nigh on impossible from outside the club to formulate an opinion on Tony Iro's coaching crudentials just yet. We're 7 games into his first season in charge of the Juniors, last year he coached the Lions where they finished outside the 8. The variables here are huge and unknown. Of course the club would draw up a succession plan, that's an HR model any smart business must have in place, but I would suggest they probably have a skill set, knowledge base or experience type in mind rather than a specific name or date for that to be an issue and would subsequently be attempting to provide both Ackland and Iro with those learning cultures internally to give them the opportunity. Got no problems with this being discussed, but it's like picking a needle out of a haystack. Any number of variables can and will happen in the meantime.

2b2s, I don't recall Cleary being a Storm option, I do recall Brisbane expressing an interest, and hence the Warriors moved to extend his contract. I recall some quite supportive of Tony Kemp's selection from coming within the ranks at the time, but that didn't work out. Whilst it's ideal to promote within, it's nigh on impossible for me to think who our potential candidates would be at the year 2011, if needed.

I'm pretty certain it's you. When I was having my weekly chat with Eric Watson the other night, I told him to keep an eye out for a certain Aussie-based Warrior fan "if that Scurrah fella doesn't work out". You should be receiving the phone call any time soon... :D

I agree that it's not an easy question to answer, but I far prefer a tough question like this one to something simple, like "Is Rovelli going great guns?" (Yeah, I'm being facetious, but it's only to make a point.) ;)

Viking_old

Isn't Tony relatively new to coaching at any level, I'm sure I read an interview with him where he stated that fact. He would need to win the Toyota Cup to have any chance, Ivan took the reserve grade championship at the Roosters before he was considered by the Warriors, nothing looks better on your CV than success. Tony's record so far is 3 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses, not amazing but promising. The Canberra U20s are 5 wins with 1 loss and a bye and we don't have Packer this week so lets see how it goes.

With 2 Toyota Cups in the cabinet he'd be a strong contender but probably not the favourite.