Internationals Tony Carrol wants to play for Kiwis...again!

Northern_Union

It's a senior representative team playing at a higher level than Tonga. It's where the next Kiwis come from.

Jesbass_old

It's a senior representative team playing at a higher level than Tonga. It's where the next Kiwis come from.

But surely the Tongan national side is playing top level - international football - against the best teams from other countries. NZA doesn't do that, I'd imagine? Even if they do, they aren't the best side in the country.

Northern_Union

NZ A plays Australia A regularly, when was the last time Tonga played any Australian team?

Every sport with an international aspect recognizes 'A' test appearances and the NZRL are no different.

The last major league side Tonga met was England which was made up of players not involved in the 2007 tri nations. This was during the Federation shield final.

Interestingly also, Willie Mason played for Tonga in 2000.

Heres the result from the last time the NZ A met the Australian invitational

Australian invitational - 18 NZ A 48

the aussie side contained no less than 10 first graders.

Northern_Union

So if he was born in NZ, his first game of league was for MT Albert, he was schooled in the country of his birth, NZ, played for NZ 'A'.....how is he a foreign player?

*Kimmy*_old

We want the best available in the team at the World Cup - if Carroll's form warrants selection, then we would be fools not to accept him back in the fold. He actually played very well in his last stint in the Kiwi jersey. His versatility would make him a good bench player.

Kav
HE IS AN AUSSIE!! ffs.. when he turned out for Australia he became an Australian, I don't care what anyone else says. Why are we good enough for him in World Cup's but not any other time?

Anyway he was just shit stirring as apparantly he isn't going to come out of retirement.. *rolls eyes* boy oh boy I hate this man.

Jesbass_old

So if he was born in NZ, his first game of league was for MT Albert, he was schooled in the country of his birth, NZ, played for NZ 'A'.....how is he a foreign player?

He played for the top Tongan national side before he played for the top national side of any other country. Whether NZ 'A' are better than the Tongan national side is merely academic.

Northern_Union

He played for NZ A before he played for Tonga, anything else, as you say, is academic.

Northern_Union

Born in New Zealand, played for New Zealand, that makes him a New Zealander despite what you may believe.

jahc_old

I gotta agree with NU here Jes.. he totally came up through the NZ system.. playing for Tonga doesnt automatically make him not a Kiwi. It's just a brief opportunity he chose a few years ago.

Jesbass_old

He played for NZ A before he played for Tonga, anything else, as you say, is academic.

If he'd played for the top New Zealand side before playing for the top Tongan side, you'd have a much more watertight argument.

If he's such a true blue Kiwi, why did he play us against Australia? Sounds somewhat mercenary-like, wouldn't you agree? Tuiaki did the same thing. At least Webb and Fien showed real desire for the black and white jersey prior to signing.

Jesbass_old

I gotta agree with NU here Jes.. he totally came up through the NZ system.. playing for Tonga doesnt automatically make him not a Kiwi. It's just a brief opportunity he chose a few years ago.

Okay, I'm obviously missing the logic here, so hopefully someone can help me out. It's okay for Moi Moi to play for another country and then represent New Zealand, but not Carroll? I personally don't have a problem with that, but that appears to be the argument I'm being presented with.

My issue is that he put his hand up and basically said "I'll play for whoever picks me". That doesn't really sound like a passionate Kiwi to me.

Northern_Union

Do you have a problem with Mason playing for Australia after he had played for Tonga?

Jesbass_old

Do you have a problem with Mason playing for Australia after he had played for Tonga?

Not at all. When did Willie Mason come out and say "I'll play for whoever picks me" in relation to Australia and New Zealand? The same applies to Kevin Campion and various other players who had dual eligibility, and had played for a minor nation in the past.

Edit: Campo only played for us for two years, so he's a bad example, lol.

jahc_old

Okay, I'm obviously missing the logic here, so hopefully someone can help me out. It's okay for Moi Moi to play for another country and then represent New Zealand, but not Carroll? I personally don't have a problem with that, but that appears to be the argument I'm being presented with.

My issue is that he put his hand up and basically said "I'll play for whoever picks me". That doesn't really sound like a passionate Kiwi to me.
Im going to sound like the biggest wanker here, but yeah its okay because they were just a minnow nation. It would be the equivalent of Benji Marshall playing for the Australian schoolboys. They're not the top level.

*Kimmy*_old

Born in New Zealand, played for New Zealand, that makes him a New Zealander despite what you may believe.
He stopped being a Kiwi when he played for Australia. Just like Lesley Vainikolo stopped being a Kiwi when he decided to play for England.

Jesbass_old

Im going to sound like the biggest wanker here, but yeah its okay because they were just a minnow nation. It would be the equivalent of Benji Marshall playing for the Australian schoolboys. They're not the top level.

Are you referring to Tonga as a minnow, or New Zealand circa 2000, or both?