Internationals Tonga vs Samoa

Skinny_Ravs82

I keep hearing talk about the Samoans been the massive dark horses of this WC..and they probably stand the best chance but can they be the type of side that doesn't get rawed over the occassion if they get to the final like some teams??

Jesbass_old

I keep hearing talk about the Samoans been the massive dark horses of this WC..and they probably stand the best chance but can they be the type of side that doesn't get rawed over the occassion if they get to the final like some teams??

Dark horses? They've been touted to reach the semis since the groups were finalised. France would be the other playoff team, I'd imagine.

Jesbass_old

Fair enough, you could be right about Matulino and Fai. One thing for certain won't go anywhere near a premiership next year without a good ballplaying secondrower.

Mr Lauiti'iti played really well last night, although he wasn't their standout. Vagana was brilliant, apart from his attempted second try, and Latu just continues to impress me. I don't know how well he went against the Irish, but he's been Tonga's best player in the two matches I've seen them play. (vs Kiwis, vs Samoa)

Kid-Dynamite_old

I only managed to see the highlights of the game, but just from that it seemed as though Nigel Vagana had a good game!

Is it just me, or does he only seem to play well at international level!? (Be it for the Kiwis or now, Samoa)

scottyb_old

Am i right in assuming that if we beat england next week and samoa makes the semi's, that we will play them in the semi's. If that is the case it will be a cracker of a game and it will see us battle hardened going into the final (hopefully)

scottyb_old

BTW who else thought it was funny hearing the Tongan prop's name was Sam Moa when they were playing Samoa lol

daj3_old

BTW who else thought it was funny hearing the Tongan prop's name was Sam Moa when they were playing Samoa lol

Pretty crackup!

Nah if we win our remaining games we'll play england.

Semis will be...

NZ vs England
Aussie v (France/Fiji v Samoa)

jahc_old

The best thing about this tournament (for me) isn't seeing the Kiwis play, its seeing who can beat who. Samoa, a dissected Great Britain, PNG.. very interesting.

Kid-Dynamite_old

The best thing about this tournament (for me) isn't seeing the Kiwis play, its seeing who can beat who. Samoa, a dissected Great Britain, PNG.. very interesting.

FIJI!

How good were they!

Mone_old

My apologies for my comments, they were way out of line and very offensive.
Got too emotional when Tonga lost and went too far.
Its just for Tongans a "horse" pertains to a drunk guy and getting called a coconut is like a black man getting called a n#$%a by someone who's not black.
But no excuses I was definately in the wrong and should never have wrote that.
Again, apologies to all offended.

Northern_Union

I reckon with more domestic work the Tongans could be a power house in league. How the thing is we need more money to push the likes of Tonga along.

Northern_Union

True. Tonga is really on the up in the league world, they have been working there bums off in the islands to get league going domestically and they deserve to be rewarded with further development funds.

Jesbass_old

I don't know what the RLIF's financial plans are, but I'd be interested to know what they plan to do with the projected profits from the World Cup. They should have the international game at heart, and should be putting on annual clashes - Samoa-Tonga would be popular - as well as setting domestic structures in place so that in the long term, countries like Tonga can stand on their own two feet and support themselves.

Northern_Union

Other than 1 million for the winners and 1 million to be shared amoung the teams, i don't know. I do know that the world cup was in profit before a ball had been kicked or a bum placed on a seat so thats good news. And the RLIF ha said that most of the profits would go toward international development and i hope Tonga is one of the first cabs off the ranks for that money. Cook Islands being another, Scotland, Ireland and so on.

Viking_old

The Tonga v Samoa game is still one of the highlights of the WCC for me even though it was scrappy. Tonga will leapfrog Samoa if they continue on their present development path and they can get some money.

PNG really deserve better treatment, they actually used players from their domestic comp who gave good accounts of themselves and looked very well coached but out-gunned. Hopefully they can rattle Australia a little bit. A PNG NRL team is stretch but a Pacific cup with Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, Maori and an Aussie indigenous side would be an outstanding annual fixture.

Northern_Union

Tonga are miles infront of Samoa, Viking, Tonga have a good domestic comp now and there local admins are doing a professional job of running the game there.
Samoa lost a shit load of players and clubs to the debacle of the 2000 WC and never really made any attemp to recover, they just seem to trot out a team of X-Kiwis when there is a game to be played then vanish again.

2big2strong_old

I'm so dissapointed with Samoa, but not surprised.

They had more superstars then any other 'minnow' nation combined and got towled up by a more passionate Irish side.

It just goes to show what I've always thought, even with all their natural skill and razzle dazzle, the Island boys are missing that one thing that makes league players great. Heart.

I just hope all these 'Kiwi Samoans' like Vagana and Lauititi that consider playing for Samoa a greater honour than playing for NZ, take all their combined millions of dollars back to Samoa and inject it into the local game and country as a whole. THAT, would be honouring their parents heritage more than just pulling on a jersey. I just read that Samoa is the 10th poorest nation on the planet, no other pacific nations were even in the top 50. All these famous millionaire Samoans like 'the Rock' and all the NFL players and NRL and Rugby players that 'represent' Samoa need to really help out their homeland and build schools and hospitals and sports grounds, instead of spending it all on bling bling and corn-rows.