Internationals Tonga vs Samoa

2big2strong_old

Best game I've seen of the tournament.

Orsam game.

Bit messy but it's got everything you could ask for in a game of Rugby League.

Except no-one has pulled anyones pants down so seriously lacking on that aspect.

Half time score........ Coconuts 14 - Horsies 12

scottyb_old

Lauiti'iti is doing his usual thing of going missing in big games. He's been active in pumping the boys up but done nothing with the ball.

Viking_old

Lauiti'iti is doing his usual thing of going missing in big games. He's been active in pumping the boys up but done nothing with the ball.

Like the Challenge cups and Superleague titles he went missing in? Don't forget the All Golds game where the Northern Union were ahead but that lazy bum Ali scored two nothing tries to not help the All Golds fluke a worthless victory.

In tonights game I didn't see Ali make three tackles in a row from dummy half, the bludger!

Joe 90_old

Lauaki man. The eyes are open, the lights are on, but i dont think anyone's at home. The sooner he's some other clubs problem, the better.

scottyb_old

Like the Challenge cups and Superleague titles he went missing in? Don't forget the All Golds game where the Northern Union were ahead but that lazy bum Ali scored two nothing tries to not help the All Golds fluke a worthless victory.

In tonights game I didn't see Ali make three tackles in a row from dummy half, the bludger![/QUOTE
you picked 3 games i've watched all his games as a warriors and many super league games and i still think he goes missing in the big games. personally i wasnt upset when the warriors let him go. And nothing anyone says will change my mind

Viking_old

In tonights game I didn't see Ali make three tackles in a row from dummy half, the bludger![/QUOTE
you picked 3 games i've watched all his games as a warriors and many super league games and i still think he goes missing in the big games. personally i wasnt upset when the warriors let him go. And nothing anyone says will change my mind

I watched him make three tackles in a row from marker.

Granted, he isn't the player he once was but he's still better than most. How do you figure he goes missing in big games, you mention that I've picked 3 games but they were all big games? I would argue that he goes missing in normal games more often than not and produces the goods in the big ones.
I make it 3 from 5 titles not counting WCCs and All Golds.

scottyb_old

mate one player does not make a team, all i am saying and i have been saying this from the day the warriors sacked him, is that when he plays teams that are inferior to the team he is playing in, he looks great, when he plays better teams, you never hear his name or see a good play from him. Does 3 tackles in a row make him a great player NO. All i am saying is he was made out to be the micheal jordan of league and i think that is an OVER STATEMENT to the max

Mone_old

It was a different game than I expected as was the game between the bludger abo's and hori glue sniffers.

If that was offensive check the thread.

On the game I thought Samoa came out of the blocks hard and the structured approach from Mate Ma'a Tonga backfired.
Samoa could have run away with it but The Kingdom of Tonga came back and made a game of it, the pacific cup could become the premier international event in league in years to come.

jahc_old

I enjoyed the game, but if both Tonga and Samoa are going to make that many mistakes against Kiwis or Australia, they're going to get caned. Whats the saying.. Good sides will make you pay.

a.c.e_old

Great game! Because Samoa won, damn ref kept disallowing legitimate Samoan trys how bias!

I've always had time for Lauaki but that kick, if it was millimeters closer we'd have a riot on our hands. He just wasn't thinking at all, high pressure game and he starts having cramps in his brain. WTF! We dont need that at the Warriors.

Ali really isn't the player he once was, sad as this guy on his day could light up the field. He looks a tad heavy too. Maybe later on in the tourney he'll pull out some magic. Ali for me is the original Puletua/Prichard/Sonny.

2big2strong_old

It was a different game than I expected as was the game between the bludger abo's and hori glue sniffers.

If that was offensive check the thread.

On the game I thought Samoa came out of the blocks hard and the structured approach from Mate Ma'a Tonga backfired.
Samoa could have run away with it but The Kingdom of Tonga came back and made a game of it, the pacific cup could become the premier international event in league in years to come.

Difference is, they call themselves coconuts and horsies. I've never heard an abo or Maori call themselves bludgers or glue sniffers. Check yourself.

Viking_old

mate one player does not make a team, all i am saying and i have been saying this from the day the warriors sacked him, is that when he plays teams that are inferior to the team he is playing in, he looks great, when he plays better teams, you never hear his name or see a good play from him. Does 3 tackles in a row make him a great player NO. All i am saying is he was made out to be the micheal jordan of league and i think that is an OVER STATEMENT to the max

Who said Ali was the sole reason Leeds won their titles? Did he play a key role in Leeds winning those titles? Yes. By saying he goes missing in big games your infer that he was a passenger in the 05 tri-nations, 3 Superleague titles, the Challenge cup and All Golds wins. The fact that you feel he doesn't stand out in better teams is a testament to the players around him.

I'm not sure what you're expecting from him. What he's always had in abundance is size, natural ability and instincts that can't be taught but what he doesn't have is a high work rate. When you think of the other big name second rowers like Pritchard and SBW, they are similar in that they do the special things occasionally but they aren't involved in every play or make every tackle, you have other players with a higher work rate for that like a Mannering style of player. But you've got to have the mix.

Ali is 110kgs, most players that size are expected to run 5 -10 metres, 10 - 15 times a game unless they're last name is Price or run 50 metres 3 times a game if their first name is Manu. Ali's size gives him an advantage in breaking the line and getting his arms free but realistically he'd get 10 shots at doing that a game at most, half of those would be effective with luck. If he was 10kgs lighter he might increase his attacking runs by 5 but they'd be less effective. Now that he's used exclusively as a bench player the chances are halved again so you could say he'd get 5 chances to create something, not good odds but still he's doing it.

SBW is a big game choker going on the facts. Has never been in a Kiwi team that has beaten Aus or GB or even France that I know of. He picked up an NRL title as an 18yr old in a star studded team but it's been downhill since yet I'd never fault his effort.

I'd have Ali back at the Warriors because he always looking to offload, not sure if you'd noticed but we don't have any second rowers that do that now.
In fact Witt topped the offloads stats halfway through the year!

scottyb_old

ok viking lets just agree to disagree on this one, we both have views that neither of us will budge on and i respect your right to have your opinion and to defend it. We will just end up going in circles and ending up at the same place we started. No offence intended.
Yes i agree we dont have any ball playing secondrowers but i still wouldnt wont Ali back, i'd rather let Matulino or Fai turn into our ballplayers, which i think they will do next season

playdaball_old

Ali - I looked back at some old tapes during the 2002 season and he was the man. He dominated that LHS making things 'easy' for Meli and Toopi. I wonder how he would have gone under Scurrah and Hart as opposed to Mick Watson? A potenial great player who never reached his zenith (that is a word I have not used for years).

Jesbass_old

Admittedly, this was only the second World Cup match that I got to see, but it was an absolute cracker! What about the crowd invasion at the end - I'm sure some people will complain, but I thought the brotherhood shared by both teams made the event a celebration. Man, some of those kids on the box were fresh, lol...

I'm also really glad that the Samoans won, because it keeps the group alive. If they'd lost, their match against the Wolfhounds on Wednesday would have been a dead rubber.

Viking_old

ok viking lets just agree to disagree on this one, we both have views that neither of us will budge on and i respect your right to have your opinion and to defend it. We will just end up going in circles and ending up at the same place we started. No offence intended.
Yes i agree we dont have any ball playing secondrowers but i still wouldnt wont Ali back, i'd rather let Matulino or Fai turn into our ballplayers, which i think they will do next season

Fair enough, you could be right about Matulino and Fai. One thing for certain won't go anywhere near a premiership next year without a good ballplaying secondrower.