Internationals Tonga Squad v Kiwis

• Thread starter Morningstar_old
  • Start date

Morningstar_old

Strong-ish squad again, hope that they are more disciplined than they have been in the past few years under Dymock. Stoked for Ukuma as well!

https://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-league-news/tonga-boast-star-power-kiwis-test-3055876

Parramatta utility Feleti Mateo is the headline act in Tonga's squad for the rugby league Test against New Zealand in Rotorua next Wednesday.

Mateo is set to line up 10 days after being in the beaten Eels side in the National Rugby League (NRL) grand final against Melbourne.

He also played against the Kiwis in last year's equivalent contest, a build-up match for both sides before the World Cup which the Kiwis went on to win.

While Mateo again gives Tonga a high-quality performer he is not the only player with NRL experience in a team coached by Rohan Smith, son of long-time NRL coach Brian Smith.

Smith's squad include Manly winger Tony Williams, former New Zealand Warriors back rower and 2006-07 Kiwis international Epalahame Lauaki, Newcastle second rower Richard Fa'aoso, Cronulla's Melbourne-bound Atelea Vea, Viliami Mataka, of Wests Tigers, Parramatta's Etuate Uaisele and 2009 rookie Warrior Ukuma Ta'ai.

Ta'ai will become a double international after previously representing Tonga in test rugby.

Also named are former NRL players now playing in England, ex-Warrior Tevita Leo-Latu and Willie Manu.

AdvertisementMateo, Latu, Fa'aoso, Manu, Lauaki, Williams, Uaisele and halfback Eddie Paea are among the group of players who appeared for Tonga at last year's World Cup.

Tonga squad: Paki Afu, Richard Fa'aoso, Sam Huihahau, Toshio Laiseni, Tevita Leo-Latu, Epalahame Lauaki, Siuatonga Likiliki Pita Maile, Willie Manu, Viliami Mataka, Feleti Mateo, Eddie Paea, Nafe Seluini, Ukuma Ta'ai, Joel Taufa'ao, Sione Tovo, Etuate Uaisele, Siosia Vave, Atelea Vea, Tony Williams.

Northern_Union

Would have been good for the international game if this game had been played in Tonga. They'd get a good crowd for it as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

motu1_old

is there going to be a live stream beacause i don't think it's going to be broadcast in aus

playdaball_old

Perhaps another game like the WC match a few years ago - Kiwis won in last minute

Northern_Union

Perhaps another game like the WC match a few years ago - Kiwis won in last minute

Played at the Wilderspool ground (old Warrington ground) and had Awen Guttenbiel playing for Tonga.
Mathew Ridge kicked a DG in the last minute of play for the win.

2big2strong_old

Ok. Could one of you NZ based people, probably whoever streams the Warriors games, please please look into streaming this game. Probably half of the people on this forum are based overseas and I was so gutted that I missed out on last years Tongan and Maori games against the Kiwi's. Could we have this set up for streaming?

motu1_old

Ok. Could one of you NZ based people, probably whoever streams the Warriors games, please please look into streaming this game. Probably half of the people on this forum are based overseas and I was so gutted that I missed out on last years Tongan and Maori games against the Kiwi's. Could we have this set up for streaming?

i'm with you please someone

Northern_Union

errrr i wont bother offering my streaming services :D

2big2strong_old

Haha, are you talking about the Maori game last year NU? At least you tried! I appreciated the time you took to try and get it to work. Much better than nothing and I have the Vodafone ONEtribe DVD which was an early christmas present. I was thinking more along the lines of that NZwarriors.com bot that streams the warriors and NYC games, if they could stream the Kiwi's ones as well it would be O for Awesome.

Jesbass_old

No idea who the bot is, 2b2s, so I have no idea of who to ask.

Incidentally...it was actually O for Olsen! (I know - I'm as shocked as anyone!)

2big2strong_old

No idea who the bot is, 2b2s, so I have no idea of who to ask.

Incidentally...it was actually O for Olsen! (I know - I'm as shocked as anyone!)

Hahahahaha, no way. He's saying that now to save face, O for Awesome has become an Iconic NZ saying and it's egg on his face that he doesn't want. It will go down in folk lore as one of the great NZ phrases, it's just like 'Sweet as Bro'.

Jesbass_old

Hahahahaha, no way. He's saying that now to save face, O for Awesome has become an Iconic NZ saying and it's egg on his face that he doesn't want. It will go down in folk lore as one of the great NZ phrases, it's just like 'Sweet as Bro'.

Yeah, but he only came out after the debate started again courtesy of the Sideswipe section of the Herald, with several readers saying that it didn't quite sound like "awesome". Seeing as Olsen Filipaina was a friend of the family, it's not that unreasonable a connection to make. (It's a far worse joke, though!)

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVwX0Y8Tflk[/YOUTUBE]

Watching his mouth, too, it looks like it doesn't close until after he's finished speaking.

Still...he did ask for a "constinent" at one point! :lol1:

2big2strong_old

MAORI U/18 TEAM FOR SHOWDOWN WITH WARRIORS DEVELOPMENT SIDE

Some NRL players of the future will be on show when the New Zealand Maori under-18 side faces a Warriors development line-up in the curtain-raiser to next Wednesday night's one-off Test between the Kiwis and Tonga in Rotorua.

The Maori team is being prepared by Auckland's Bartercard Premiership coach Rusty Matua and his assistant former Kiwi prop Johnny Lomax.

The full 19-man Maori side is:

1 Steve Shennen (Auckland)
2 Matiu Welch (Taranaki)
3 Adam Henry (Auckland)
4 Sharn Carroll (Wellington)
5 Kahu Ward (Wellington)
6 Charles Gabriel (Auckland)
7 Apirana Pewhairangi (Wellington)
8 Jorge Johannson (Canterbury)
9 Jethro Friend (Auckland)
10 Rihari Peeti (Canterbury)
11 Sheen Lomax (Wellington)
12 Jordon Hall(Auckland)
13 Davy Wayne Smith (Wellington)

Interchange (from):
14. John Koko (Bay of Plenty)
15 Shaiquin Hurunui (Wellington)
16 Te Ahu McGeorge (Waikato)
17 Reagan Verney (Taranaki)
18 Duane Gordon (Bau of Plenty)
19 Zensei Inu (Auckland)

Coach: Rusty Matua
Manager: Anaru Thompson
Assistant Coach: Johnny Lomax
Trainer: Dean Haggie
Medic: Bruce Berryman
Cultural Adviser: Charles Matua
https://www.rleague.com/db/article.php?id=34758

2big2strong_old

Yeah, but he only came out after the debate started again courtesy of the Sideswipe section of the Herald, with several readers saying that it didn't quite sound like "awesome". Seeing as Olsen Filipaina was a friend of the family, it's not that unreasonable a connection to make. (It's a far worse joke, though!)

Watching his mouth, too, it looks like it doesn't close until after he's finished speaking.

Still...he did ask for a "constinent" at one point! :lol1:

Ok, I could be completely wrong but this is my take on things....... "Awesome" in fresh Samoan dialect maybe sounds like "Olsen" but he closes his lips together at the end to form an 'M' sound. If your theory is correct, why on earth has it taken nearly 20 years for this to come to the surface? It's something the Tua camp came up with because of the embarrasment of being made out to look like a fool. How would Olsen Filipaina be a friend of the family? Filipaina has lived in Sydney since the early 80's and Tua only moved to NZ in the early 80's. This does not seem logical at all, Olsen Filipaina is not someone that has carried on parading around through celebrity or sporting circles. He's a 'dusty', a garbage man combing the streets of Sydney for rubbish and he has done so since his playing days at the Tigers, a self confessed recluse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Viking_old

Does anybody know who's in the Warriors dev squad?

The development squad could be any of the kids they've signed, there'd probably be 100 of them by now. The Warriors have been busy signing kids up all year. I wouldn't be suprised if the Afghani kid got a run.

In the Maori squad, there's a hooker called Jethro Friend from Manurewa who I think is the son of Clayton. The kids an absolute gun, not much of him but the sharpest 9 I've ever seen in the junior ranks. The other kid I rate is Zensei Inu, half Sa half Maori 6 who's the size of of back rower, has been directing the Tat Roosters Fox side around since he was 17 and just made the NZ merit 18s side.

2big2strong_old

The development squad could be any of the kids they've signed, there'd probably be 100 of them by now. The Warriors have been busy signing kids up all year. I wouldn't be suprised if the Afghani kid got a run.

In the Maori squad, there's a hooker called Jethro Friend from Manurewa who I think is the son of Clayton. The kids an absolute gun, not much of him but the sharpest 9 I've ever seen in the junior ranks. The other kid I rate is Zensei Inu, half Sa half Maori 6 who's the size of of back rower, has been directing the Tat Roosters Fox side around since he was 17 and just made the NZ merit 18s side.

Haha, I knew you'd come through with the goods Viking, my main man when it comes to the grass roots scene in NZ.

I've read an article on Zensei in a Superleague magazine, he looks enormous. They said he was a distant cousin of Krisnan and that he could develop into a Feleti Mateo style lock or 6. Very good stuff.

Also, it's very good to see the Warriors signing anything with a heart beat. Obviously we won't be able to keep everyone, but it will minimize the amount of NZ talent leaking over to NZ like what happened during the early 2000's with SBW, Asotasi and Issac Luke etc. At least this way we can examine the stock before we let them slip through the gaps.

Jesbass_old

Ok, I could be completely wrong but this is my take on things....... "Awesome" in fresh Samoan dialect maybe sounds like "Olsen" but he closes his lips together at the end to form an 'M' sound. If your theory is correct, why on earth has it taken nearly 20 years for this to come to the surface? It's something the Tua camp came up with because of the embarrasment of being made out to look like a fool. How would Olsen Filipaina be a friend of the family? Filipaina has lived in Sydney since the early 80's and Tua only moved to NZ in the early 80's. This does not seem logical at all, Olsen Filipaina is not someone that has carried on parading around through celebrity or sporting circles. He's a 'dusty', a garbage man combing the streets of Sydney for rubbish and he has done so since his playing days at the Tigers, a self confessed recluse.

I reckon he closes his mouth after making an 'N' sound, but it's entirely possible to interpret it either way.

The reason it got brought back up is as I mentioned earlier:
...he only came out after the debate started again courtesy of the Sideswipe section of the Herald, with several readers saying that it didn't quite sound like "awesome".
To expand on that, Sideswipe were asking readers to submit memorable one liners from New Zealand TV. (Even one of mine got in there, so they were definitely scraping the barrel!) It was inevitable that the O for Awesome/Olsen line would get brought up, and then other readers debated what it was that he was actually saying. Some said it was 'awesome', while others thought it sounded closer to 'ocean'.

After the Sideswipe discussion, Mai FM ran a radio poll about it, and Robina called up and explained. There's no real point asking me how they're friends with Olsen, but if you're really desperate to know, I'll ask Donna Filipaina...but it's bit of a non-issue, I reckon!

Here's the final Sideswipe blurb, (after several days of debate over the Wheel of Fortune appearance):
Adam Green from Mai FM's B-rocka's Bad Breakfast writes: "After seeing the O for Ocean piece on David Tua in Sideswipe, we decided to put it out to our listeners ... A lot of texts/calls came through, including one from David's wife and manager Robina Tua, who sets the record straight after 17 years. She says what David actually said was O For Olsen, as in Olsen Filipaina, the famous Kiwi league player and good friend of the Tua family. After some intense YouTube listening we wholeheartedly agree. But she did also say that O For Awesome being what it is now, they are happy to have it that way."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sideswipe/news/article.cfm?c_id=702&objectid=10584896

It honestly sounds to me like Robina was just driving along and listening to Mai, and figured she could offer some insight into the debate.

2big2strong_old

I just re-read the article on him, he says his favourite position is centre (a big centre is something that the Warriors need IMHO). He also has the biggest quads I've ever seen, they're tree trunks, thicker than Karmichael Hunts.