Internationals TONGA RLWC2013 Campaign

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Well, there was this instagram photo taken at Nandos that he posted before the game...

Aiphotos gakfbcdnnet hphotos ak prn 1171609 582325408482486 1635130349 n
The accompanying comment from Konrad to that picture was that he was only having salad if I remember correctly. And he looks leaner now then he did this time last year IMO.

I fear the Tongans will take out their frustrations on a Kuki team who must be hurting after that USA loss. Could be a brutal scoreline.

Sorry to ya but I expect nothing short of an absolute thrashing! Vengeance styles...

Reactions: 1 user

Far Away Fan

Is it me or did Konnie Look Like he was carrying a few pies ?

I guess he went home after the season's end so it would have been roast pig and a whole heap of other things and with the welcome back that he would have had and all the family and cultural thing (offence given if all food offered is not eaten) etc etc etc..... He's on record as saying when he sees food he can't help eating it. Saw him saying this on TV much earlier this year. Warriors people were helping him with this. Hey, wake up, Koni, be professional!

Great meters, tho. The best. :)

And the difference in the scores was down to goal kicking, not Koni's piles pies thighs pigs.

The thing is, the score should have been more like 30:16 and with good halves and a kicker who can kick it could have been. Oh well.

MarkW

MarkW

Sooo, after today's results, Tonga HAVE to win their next two vs Cooks and Italy and pray that the Yanks can continue their winning way vs the Scots (unlikely).

Reactions: 1 users
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
1002919 663507887026941 420768372 n

Finally got to watch the replay. What a hard game to watch!

First of all I want to thank God for the win.

Secondly I want to give a huge S/O to my main man Jordan Rapana for somehow spilling the ball. Thats why kids, you have to hold the ball in two hands. Act of God IMO.

Tonga look flat. There seems to be no cohesion. The pass, pass, backdoor pass they did 100 times wasnt fooling anyone. The middle seemed to have fixed the weak jersey pulling tackles they did against the Scots but now the edge defence sucked. A couple of those kicks to the wing from the Cookies I thought Konnie, Tupou and Fisi'iahi were guilty of standing frozen and ball watching. The team all look unfit too.

What about Konnie though!? What a game he had. Thought he showed up the forwards with some of his hitups and that individual try of his was simply amazing. Topped the match with 164 metres. Fuifui played some big minutes and was unwavering in his runs. Brent Kite played 66 minutes, made 106 metres and made 39 tackles. I was impressed with Taumalolo as well. Had some great touches.

Cooks unlucky not to record their first RLWC victory ever. They were truly gutted and the MoM acceptance speech by Taripo who was trying his hardest not to choke up was heartbreaking. Gotta feel for them really.

Isaac John was great for them. Steered the ship well enough and his kicking game was on point most of the match.

My MoM was Dylan Napa. Dude was everywhere! Running everywhere, tackling everything. Had a beast game. Also a bit of a grub with all the face/neck work he gave the MMT players in the tackle. Love grubs. Every team needs one.

I thought before the RLWC begun that we would be competitive but its clear that we will get flogged by top 3 teams. USA would go in favourites against us right now!!!

1458566 674149759284144 1486225158 n

Reactions: 2 users
Mr. Muller

Mr. Muller

I cant lie, theres times I wanted the Cooks to win and get it over with. I know, very unpatriotic but we came away with it in the end. Like you Mt Welly it was hard watching the M.O.M speech, really felt for him as he had a great game and definitely outplayed Tupou. I'm not so sure about this Scots vs U.S game, I'll be cheering my ass off for the yanks but yeah, just dont know.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
I cant lie, theres times I wanted the Cooks to win and get it over with. I know, very unpatriotic but we came away with it in the end. Like you Mt Welly it was hard watching the M.O.M speech, really felt for him as he had a great game and definitely outplayed Tupou. I'm not so sure about this Scots vs U.S game, I'll be cheering my ass off for the yanks but yeah, just dont know.
A lot of the bros and cuzzies on FB are the same. They wanted the Cookies to win. Didnt think we deserved it. Needless to say they have all been unfriended ;)...

BTW, how was the family sports day the other week?

Mr. Muller

Mr. Muller

Lol, forget i said that then.

Sports day was great, alot of pulled hammys, old injuries playing up and sunburn but nothing a few steinys at family prizegiving couldnt fix. Thanks for asking bro. :)

mode81

mode81

Tonga not looking very convincing, patchy form but a wins a win and you take them, Jordan Rapana wins the best bombed try award, even worse then SBW's blunder

FrancisMelee

Tonga not looking very convincing, patchy form but a wins a win and you take them, Jordan Rapana wins the best bombed try award, even worse then SBW's blunder
makes you wonder if his missus is tongan....

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Mate Ma’a Tonga has named their 19 man squad for their game against Italy in Halifax at The Shay today 4pm (UK time).

Mahe Fonua
Daniel Foster
Sydney Havea
Siliva Havili
Konrad Hurrell
Brent Kite
Samisoni Langi
Siuatonga Liklilki
Willie Manu
Nesiasi Mataitonga
Fuifui Moimoi
Mickey Paea
Pat Politoni
Nafe Seluini
Ukuma Ta’ai
Jorge Taufua
Peni Terepo
Daniel Tupou
Siosaia Vave

Four players have been ruled out through injury
Glen Fisi’iahi (groin), Sika Manu (fractured eye socket), Ben Murdoch-Masila (ankle), Jason Taumalolo (knee)

eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Never did hear a good explanation as to why Italy, Tonga, Scotland (all better teams on paper and in reality than USA, Cooks, Wales) ended up in the same pool – group of death perchance?

Konrad smashing Ciraldo was awesome, good world cup from him, team never got him 1 on 1 or anything though, had to come up with his own efforts.

Fui Fui was like Steve Price c. 2008 the amount of work he was getting through – hope yous caught his after match interview – gold.

Italy were having a good old whinge to the ref by the end, balanced officiating, who’d have thunk it. Mini questioning the (non) double movement, ref just shut him down with a look and walked away. The more I see other officials the more I’m convinced NRL refs have deteriorated, not saying they are corrupt or anything, just seem to make more questionable calls, give into the personality of the players, always having a chat, you’re supposed to be the one in charge… If that was Hayne or any of them really, would have definitely sent it upstairs after mini yelled at him, had a big chat about “don’t come up and talk to me like that” and then given Italy a bunch of piggy backs to get back in the skippers good books.

MarkW

MarkW

The last video ref awarded try was a bit dodgy but the attempted conversion was hilarious... Fui given the duties and lines up to kick it, then Kite rushes in and boots it hahaha.

Fui giving his interview all in Tongan was cool too.

I think more prep and less party will serve Tonga better next time around. They were clearly underdone for that opener vs Scotland but improved in the following games.

The RLIF rankings are weird... I mean, Wales are 5th but they are clearly not top 10 material after what we saw from them in pool play.

Apparently the rankings are based on a 3 year cycle - so in that time period Tonga have played a whopping two whole games both against Samoa where they won one and lost one. I dunno.

RLIF, NRL and NZRL need to do more to make the Pacific Cup a more regular event for starters. The cost is obviously the biggest hurdle, but if it could get an Owen Glenn type backer then who knows.

As others have mentioned, having a dedicated representative window around Origin time would be ideal and beneficial for the international development of the game... I'll babble on about this here: Strategies & Ideas to Grow International Rugby League | NZ Warriors.com | NZ Rugby League Supporters

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Like Locke is every single game this year?

At least Locke doesn't pretend to be injured, he still plays but he plays poorly and with a terrible attitude. Fish was taken off against Scotland because his bootlace came undone. They're both fucking useless, which is a shame because they are both undeniably talented.

Sup42

Sup42

Tonga need an experienced Coach.

Their halves while terribly inexperienced , showed glimpses of the Halves they will become for Tonga by 2017 if they keep playing footy.

Around the 37 minute mark after watching more of the same Kids Crash bash footy From Tonga, there was a good pause for a penalty , with the scores in the balance , Tonga had the chance to plan something.

That set the stage for Konrad Hurrell to take the first hist up in a Propping role.

Bad plan

On the flip side. Consider the Defence that Tonga put together after only three games.

The best defensive display of the World cup.

SL coaches and NRL coaches alike must have watched that game and thought ' I would have got them doing this that and the other....and had a fair shake at the cup '

Last edited:
Biffbebiffing

Biffbebiffing

At least Locke doesn't pretend to be injured, he still plays but he plays poorly and with a terrible attitude. Fish was taken off against Scotland because his bootlace came undone. They're both fucking useless, which is a shame because they are both undeniably talented.
So he gets injured in a game and can't play the last match for his country in a world cup a week later and somehow that equates to him faking an injury? Do you really think he just said "oh na coach, even though the medical team has cleared me I might just have this last game off eh?'.

MarkW

MarkW

Yeah, good point. Charlie Tonga's coaching credentials are what exactly? Played a handful of NRL games a few years back... and?

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

So he gets injured in a game and can't play the last match for his country in a world cup a week later and somehow that equates to him faking an injury? Do you really think he just said "oh na coach, even though the medical team has cleared me I might just have this last game off eh?'.

Pretty much.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
At least Locke doesn't pretend to be injured
At least use phrases like 'I reckon' or acronyms like 'IMO' when posting your own opinions that based on fuck all proof. You dont know that he wasnt injured.

If he was fit, he would have played.

Last edited: