NRL NRL Naughty chair

Does anyone know when the ruling for Leniu is coming out? I thought judiciary stuff was Tuesday night?
Next tuesday after the full round 1 games.
There's three others from last weekend that will also be heard then if the players don't plead early....

1709689140116.png

I dont understand why the walsh one isnt ruled as a penalty try? someone is gonna score and the only way to stop them is to break the rules- if he doesnt shoulder charge him he scores so why dont they rule that as a penalty try?

I would suppose it is the same as if a player is tripped when chasing a grubber, it isn't always a penalty try because the fullback might be back there or something and so the refs can't say for sure that it would have been a try if not for the trip

In this case, regardless of the tackle Walsh still made it there in time to stop it, so if it wasn't a shoulder charge, it can't be said for sure it would be a try, especially in the corner like that.

Not sure if that is what is in the rule book but I agree with not giving a penalty try, though it should have 100% have been 10 in the bin imo. Was it not because it is pretty boy Walsh, or because it was in Vegas?? I'd say the latter but still a bit of both lol

I would suppose it is the same as if a player is tripped when chasing a grubber, it isn't always a penalty try because the fullback might be back there or something and so the refs can't say for sure that it would have been a try if not for the trip

In this case, regardless of the tackle Walsh still made it there in time to stop it, so if it wasn't a shoulder charge, it can't be said for sure it would be a try, especially in the corner like that.

Not sure if that is what is in the rule book but I agree with not giving a penalty try, though it should have 100% have been 10 in the bin imo. Was it not because it is pretty boy Walsh, or because it was in Vegas?? I'd say the latter but still a bit of both lol
Well I disagree that he could've stopped that try any other way- was gonna score 100% imo.
However the fact u see it the other way suggests there is some grey area I suppose...

Well I disagree that he could've stopped that try any other way- was gonna score 100% imo.
However the fact u see it the other way suggests there is some grey area I suppose...
There was an incident in a Warriors v Roosters game quite a few years back (a game in the post season) where a PT was awarded to the Warriors and in explanation (Harrigan if I recall correctly) said that you assessed the likelihood of a try as if the offender was not there at all (beam me up Scotty principle).

I’ve seen nothing to suggest that the rules have changed since then but Ref might be able to comment

Broncos hooker Billy Walters is willing to testify at the NRL judiciary if called upon as a witness in the Las Vegas racism hearing.

Walters’ teammate, Payne Haas, could also become a key witness for Brisbane after telling club officials he overheard Roosters forward Spencer Leniu call Broncos whiz Ezra Mam a “monkey’’ in the season-opening clash in Las Vegas.

Walters confirmed to this masthead that he was one of the players in the vicinity of Leniu when the alleged slur was made, which, alongside Haas could be crucial at the disciplinary hearing now that a of the word being spoken. The NRL’s prosecution will rely on witness accounts.

Leniu will appear at the NRL judiciary on Tuesday after being charged with contrary conduct in the 69th minute of the heated round 1 clash.

Mam, 21, made a formal on-field complaint to referee Adam Gee and may be required to appear at the judiciary to give his version of events.

But the Indigenous sensation may not be alone, with Brisbane teammate Walters declaring he would front up if required.

Walters said he was reluctant to speak in-depth about the incident to ensure he didn’t prejudice the hearing, but confirmed he was willing to testify.

“I don’t want to get into it too much. We’ve been told not to speak too much because we want the NRL to deal with it properly and not influence it,” he said.

“But if I’m called upon by the NRL I’ll definitely tell my version of events.

“We’ve got Ezra’s back no matter what happens.”

With a split first round over two weekends due to the United States double-header, the Leniu judiciary hearing won’t be held until next week following the completion of round 1 fixtures.

A former senior Cricket Australia official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said it was the lack of audio evidence that enabled Indian spinner Harbhajan Singh to have a three match ban scrapped on appeal after he allegedly called Andrew Symonds a “monkey’’ at the SCG in 2008.

The Brisbane Broncos have arrived back in the River City after their exploits in the US and the season opener in Las Vegas.

“Had Harbhajan been caught on audio it would have been a different outcome but Channel Nine had a reporter go through the tapes for a day looking for evidence and they could not find anything,’’ the source said.

“Harbhajan was initially banned by match referee Mike Procter but the bans were scrapped on appeal because a New Zealand judge said there was not enough evidence.

“The lack of audio evidence was decisive because it then became a matter of “he said, she said.’’

Despite the fact Adam Gilchrist, Ricky Ponting and Matt Hayden said they heard Harbhajan say the word “monkey’’ the judge ruled this evidence was insufficient for a conviction.

“The match referee was happy to make a conviction on the players’ word. The judge wasn’t. It can go either way but Mam’s witnesses who say they heard the word now become more important given there is no audio. This could be the Symonds case all over.’’

The fact that Harbhajan got off his bans on appeal infuriated the players and Symonds himself who was never the same player or person after the incident.

The one key factor yet to be resolved is whether Leniu will deny making the claim or confess to saying it.

When interviewed after the game he admitted to being involved in “fun and games’’ but distanced himself from allegations of racism

Pulled this from page 17 of the NRL Rules and Interpretations:

Penalty try
The Referee (or Review Officials) may award a penalty try if, in his opinion, a try would have been scored but for the unfair play of the defending team. A penalty try is awarded between the goal posts irrespective of where the offence occurred.

Kind of vague tbh, seems that Gee wasn’t wrong, but if either of us were reffing that game, we wouldn’t be wrong either

If it weren’t for it being in Vegas, I think the call likely would have been different

There was an incident in a Warriors v Roosters game quite a few years back (a game in the post season) where a PT was awarded to the Warriors and in explanation (Harrigan if I recall correctly) said that you assessed the likelihood of a try as if the offender was not there at all (beam me up Scotty principle).

I’ve seen nothing to suggest that the rules have changed since then but Ref might be able to comment
IMO and nothing to do with the rule book.
If a try was def going to be scored but for something illegal, it’s obvious to everyone that you give the penalty try.
I haven’t given many in my long and distinguished career but they are all no brainers. If it’s 50/50 I go with the penalty and sin bin the offender.
I have never given a penalty try and a sin bin unless it is foul play.
You can’t penalise a team twice for one offence.

Is it true that he's only started in a small percentage of his NRL games?

Maybe Ivan knew he couldn't leave Spencer on the field for too long.

Reactions: Ref
So if someone gets called a “peanut” they can complain if their dad died of a peanut allergy?

Get a fucking grip. The pandering to people’s sensitivities is raising a generation of people who are incapable of living in the real world.

A mate of mine when we were cops had a woman make a complaint because he called her 'Madam' claiming he was calling her a whore. There are 'professional victims' out there. The numbers of which are increasing.

I wouldn't ban sledging I'd just say either be good at it or stay quiet
Definitely not, it’s all part of the game….in almost any sport.

Some of the “best” sledgers in professional sports had a level of intelligence that had the ability to discombobulate their opponent without making it too personal based on race/sexuality/religion/family and not making themselves sound like halfwits.

Those things are off limits.

Think Kobe Bryant, Jordan, Larry Bird, Floyd Mayweather, John McEnroe, Muhammad Ali etc.

They weren’t just superior athletes but quick witted yet their trash talk stung leaving their opponents either speechless, questing themselves and/or throwing back lame trash talk in response that the above just ignored or laughed off.

Not many are very good at it for the simple fact they’re not very smart.

Back