Staff Todd Payten

bruce

Contributor
Brown has made comments that he will always be in demand as there will always be clubs that need a rebuild. We must truly be screwed if it is going to take years.
Gould asked for 5 years to rebuild the Panters...it took longer...but he did it.

I watched that the other night. It was a good interview.

His time here was weird. Move to Auckland and then get stuck in a pandemic with your family back in NZ, take over as head coach and having to deal with players split from their families and some wanting to return home.

People have made comments about how he didn't want to coach us. The initial rejection of the job wasn't handled the best but he has been open that he had a family situation and the Cowboys job suited that situation. He's also mentioned the team performing for him helped him get his current role.

From our point of view its a shame as how they performed in 2020 showed Payten could of done well here.

Interesting though how after rejecting the role he was still retained. Brown can't move to New Zealand and the club moved on. A different year and different circumstances with one being a head coach and the other interim head coach taking over after previous guy was fired.

His time here was weird. Move to Auckland and then get stuck in a pandemic with your family back in NZ, take over as head coach and having to deal with players split from their families and some wanting to return home.

People have made comments about how he didn't want to coach us. The initial rejection of the job wasn't handled the best but he has been open that he had a family situation and the Cowboys job suited that situation. He's also mentioned the team performing for him helped him get his current role.

From our point of view its a shame as how they performed in 2020 showed Payten could of done well here.

Interesting though how after rejecting the role he was still retained. Brown can't move to New Zealand and the club moved on. A different year and different circumstances with one being a head coach and the other interim head coach taking over after previous guy was fired.
That pandemic put us on the back foot, i still think it's going to take us 2 years to get a team that will compete ☹

Akkerz

Contributor
Can't stand the Johns boys but that interviw was one of the best. TP was very open. I regret he is no longer with the Warriors but he likely wouldn't have had the successs here that he is getting in Q'land. It would have been interesting to see how far he could take the Warriors in his own way & without the outside interference.

That pandemic put us on the back foot, i still think it's going to take us 2 years to get a team that will compete ☹
Especially with how development pathways. We basically need to come back and pick up the pieces.

The thing is and I'll be guilty of this to. When we lose we will rag on the club but will forget how much damage the last few years have done.

We are pretty much reliant on recruitment at the moment to get a competitive first-grade side. Obviously didn't work this year, hopefully, some of it is fatigue from the last few years. Next year a lot of first-grade level players coming in so hopefully a change for the better under a new coach.

The telling part for me was talking about the well run the cowboys are from a management / governance perspective. I thought that was a sly dig on the warriors or illustrates his thinking on a reason he chose them at least.

The telling part for me was talking about the well run the cowboys are from a management / governance perspective. I thought that was a sly dig on the warriors or illustrates his thinking on a reason he chose them at least.

Just past the 10 minute mark Payten discusses the Warriors, was fairly complementary I thought but the thing he got out of his time at the Warriors the first thing he says is about Auckland being a beautiful place so I suppose that says enough. He does say there’s good people in the club at least. Was interested to hear him touch on getting travel right, trans Tasman before covid more so and what he learnt from Kearney in not coaching in fear.

bruce

Contributor
Does anybody now how they got the name Cowboys? a clue...there are no actual cowboys up there....No more clues. ;) :D :D

Reactions: Juju