Staff Todd Payten

I feel the same. When you hear him talk about how he got us improving it was all let them relax and play free etc. If we had him signed next year I would not be convinced we will continue the same form. People need to be careful about expectations. I for one will be shocked if we show the same attitude etc to start next year

That attitude should not be an expectation, it should just be there.

Reactions: Tragic
Nice article on nrl.com today about Todd and the warriors.
Interested by this part:

"We had younger players asking more questions at training and looking at more footage. Even the more senior guys, they also had a thirst for it in wanting to get better.”

Is it another hint that our players in the past haven’t paid much attention to the ‘game‘ beyond their own match? Is this seasons results a flow through from understanding the game better and their role in it?

Full article:

When the Warriors team and officials approached Sydney airport on Monday, the players headed to the international terminal and coach Todd Payten veered left to domestic.

The man who has done so much to lift the Warriors' profile – and rugby league for that matter - even higher in New Zealand over the past five months was not stepping foot back in Auckland.

"This is probably the best move I've ever made in terms of moving. Someone has packed the house up for us and put it all on a container," Payten said.

Payten and his belongings are now heading to Queensland.

First, he will quarantine with his wife and three children for two weeks in the same resort on the Sunshine Coast where the Melbourne Storm have taken up residence for COVID protection. Payten's wife Julie also has family in the area.

I've really enjoyed New Zealand, this team, these players…. there is a really good culture here

"We go from this bubble to the next bubble but we're not part of the Storm bubble if that makes sense. We will be in a separate area," he said.

Once cleared medically, Payten heads up to Townsville where the Cowboys will await their third head coach within six months.

It's familiar territory for him since he was the Under-20s coach and then assistant NRL coach for four years before joining the Warriors in late 2018.

But Payten arrives a significantly improved coach this time. He knows taking over the Warriors mid-season from Stephen Kearney has changed him.

"It has showed me the more individual feedback players get in terms of coaching, the more they want," Payten told NRL.com.

"We had younger players asking more questions at training and looking at more footage. Even the more senior guys, they also had a thirst for it in wanting to get better.

"That has improved me as a coach. You understand how everyone is different. So you have to work out the best messages and then massage them among the players and staff.

"Being in the bubble allowed me insight to people off the field so I could see how they connect with others and what individual habits. Seeing that first-hand has been special."

Being the one who makes the final decisions has shown Payten not to rely solely on someone else's views about a player until he's done his own research as a head coach.

A prime example is Warriors halfback Chanel Harris-Tavita.

"He competes, he works hard at his game, he's skilful and he's so tough. But when I first got here everyone told me how flashy he is," Payten said.

"But I never saw that as I watched him more closely. What I was seeing on the park I would then take to form my opinion and not someone else's perception.

"He's been sitting in Greenie's (former half Blake Green) shadows and missed out on a spot in the side after round two but didn't kick stones. He came and saw me and said, 'How can I get back on the team?'

"I've learned to really find out about the individual."

Payten, who came off the bench and scored the final try in Wests Tigers 2005 grand final win, also coached the Under-20s side after retiring.

He's heard the old saying that 'Balmain boys don't cry' but he found it hard to hold back the tears after his final game as Warriors head coach.

"I've really enjoyed New Zealand, this team, these players…. there is a really good culture here. And seeing the Haka gets me every time."

Is it another hint that our players in the past haven’t paid much attention to the ‘game‘ beyond their own match? Is this seasons results a flow through from understanding the game better and their role in it?

I imagine being in the bubble, unable to go out on Friday/Saturday night, as well as being on AU time meant they probably did catch a lot more games live.

There were a few advantages for us being in the bubble, far less travel and the ability to create an environment with far less distractions so they could concentrate pretty much solely on football.

I think I recall Payton saying after us getting a flogging that he was surprised how little NRL games our players watched. Hopefully the skills and preparation done under Payton continue to develop under Brown and when they return to Auckland.

I imagine being in the bubble, unable to go out on Friday/Saturday night, as well as being on AU time meant they probably did catch a lot more games live.
I'm sure I read on here a while back that the players didn't really hang around to bond/do extras pre covid. That they would smoke bomb straight away and did minimum only with one another. Part of this coaching success might be they have been forced to bond...

I'm sure I read on here a while back that the players didn't really hang around to bond/do extras pre covid. That they would smoke bomb straight away and did minimum only with one another. Part of this coaching success might be they have been forced to bond...
We are a family clubs - our boys are busy reading bed time stories to the kids when the other teams games are on.

Reactions: Worried2Death

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Interested by this part:

"We had younger players asking more questions at training and looking at more footage. Even the more senior guys, they also had a thirst for it in wanting to get better.”

Full article:

When the Warriors team and officials approached Sydney airport on Monday, the players headed to the international terminal and coach Todd Payten veered left to domestic.

The man who has done so much to lift the Warriors' profile – and rugby league for that matter - even higher in New Zealand over the past five months was not stepping foot back in Auckland.

"This is probably the best move I've ever made in terms of moving. Someone has packed the house up for us and put it all on a container," Payten said.

Payten and his belongings are now heading to Queensland.

First, he will quarantine with his wife and three children for two weeks in the same resort on the Sunshine Coast where the Melbourne Storm have taken up residence for COVID protection. Payten's wife Julie also has family in the area.

I've really enjoyed New Zealand, this team, these players…. there is a really good culture here

"We go from this bubble to the next bubble but we're not part of the Storm bubble if that makes sense. We will be in a separate area," he said.

Once cleared medically, Payten heads up to Townsville where the Cowboys will await their third head coach within six months.

It's familiar territory for him since he was the Under-20s coach and then assistant NRL coach for four years before joining the Warriors in late 2018.

But Payten arrives a significantly improved coach this time. He knows taking over the Warriors mid-season from Stephen Kearney has changed him.

"It has showed me the more individual feedback players get in terms of coaching, the more they want," Payten told NRL.com.

"We had younger players asking more questions at training and looking at more footage. Even the more senior guys, they also had a thirst for it in wanting to get better.

"That has improved me as a coach. You understand how everyone is different. So you have to work out the best messages and then massage them among the players and staff.

"Being in the bubble allowed me insight to people off the field so I could see how they connect with others and what individual habits. Seeing that first-hand has been special."

Being the one who makes the final decisions has shown Payten not to rely solely on someone else's views about a player until he's done his own research as a head coach.

A prime example is Warriors halfback Chanel Harris-Tavita.

"He competes, he works hard at his game, he's skilful and he's so tough. But when I first got here everyone told me how flashy he is," Payten said.

"But I never saw that as I watched him more closely. What I was seeing on the park I would then take to form my opinion and not someone else's perception.

"He's been sitting in Greenie's (former half Blake Green) shadows and missed out on a spot in the side after round two but didn't kick stones. He came and saw me and said, 'How can I get back on the team?'

"I've learned to really find out about the individual."

Payten, who came off the bench and scored the final try in Wests Tigers 2005 grand final win, also coached the Under-20s side after retiring.

He's heard the old saying that 'Balmain boys don't cry' but he found it hard to hold back the tears after his final game as Warriors head coach.

"I've really enjoyed New Zealand, this team, these players…. there is a really good culture here. And seeing the Haka gets me every time."

i think if you include the line before it changes that sentence a lot.

"We had younger players asking more questions at training and looking at more footage. Even the more senior guys, they also had a thirst for it in wanting to get better."

I read that they loved the attention and desired more of it.

Reactions: Bushman
What he has done over the last 4 weeks to this cows team has been absolutely stunning.

We need someone with his charisma and passion for the game.

👏🏻 👏🏻 👏🏻
Not just the last 4 weeks. The groundwork was laid last season.

Put the onus on his big gun (Taumololo) last year which sent a sign to the whole club he wasnt there to fuck around. Then apparently the entire off season they did nothing but tackle every day.

Now their the 2nd best defensive outfit in the comp (from 4th worst last season)

Since Cleary the only time i felt this club had some steel about it and that every week the team would at least have a genuine dig, was the short time Payten was in charge.

Gutted that we lost him, dont rate Brownie at all but if we're going to change.....we need to make the right change.....we need the right coach.

Not just the last 4 weeks. The groundwork was laid last season.

Put the onus on his big gun (Taumololo) last year which sent a sign to the whole club he wasnt there to fuck around. Then apparently the entire off season they did nothing but tackle every day.

Now their the 2nd best defensive outfit in the comp (from 4th worst last season)

Since Cleary the only time i felt this club had some steel about it and that every week the team would at least have a genuine dig, was the short time Payten was in charge.

Gutted that we lost him, dont rate Brownie at all but if we're going to change.....we need to make the right change.....we need the right coach.
Completely agree, but the trick is, is there another Todd Payten out there that would be actually willing to come here? An up-and-comer who is looking for a chance? I'm not 100% optimistic.

We were definitely playing some good footy under Payten, especially given the time in which he had to turn it around. Brown seems to be able to get some good talent across the line, but what does that actually matter if we play like shit on game day? Everyone of course would prefer a solid team playing above their weight and getting great wins than a team of talented people who aren't on the same page...

Payten was exactly the type of coach we need and as usual we're now stuck here ruing the day we let another good coach slip through our fingers.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
will be interesting to see how he goes without JT in his roster.
Have his changes been more than superficial?

He got a lot of flack last year with people questioning his methods. What he has done is shown the players he expects high standards. He recruited to fix up some areas where he thought their squad needed improvement. Next year will likely build on that.

Brown has made comments that he will always be in demand as there will always be clubs that need a rebuild. We must truly be screwed if it is going to take years.

I've mentioned on a few threads over the years about rebuilding from the bottom is probably better than mid-table. The mid-table teams add a few players each year hoping that will be enough. The teams at the bottom know they need to make big changes.

When clubs get the right coach (even us with Anderson or Cleary) you don't need 2-3 years. If you get someone like Payten who comes in and sets standards and the players buy into it you don't need to waste 2-3 years and likely need to cycle that again with another coach.

Reactions: gREVUS and tajhay
We were definitely playing some good footy under Payten, especially given the time in which he had to turn it around. Brown seems to be able to get some good talent across the line, but what does that actually matter if we play like shit on game day? Everyone of course would prefer a solid team playing above their weight and getting great wins than a team of talented people who aren't on the same page...

Payten was exactly the type of coach we need and as usual we're now stuck here ruing the day we let another good coach slip through our fingers.
The worst part is it comes in 3's, or do we add Daniel Anderson to that list.