scotsman_old

TRYYYYYYYYYYY To Kemp. Runaway down the line

Misses conversion

34-12

5mins remain

edit

2big2strong_old

EDIT

Can't wait to get the final report of the game. Sounds like Fien has really put his hand up as #1 choice Halfback from the sounds of it. Did we kick any goals? sheeeesh. Witt missed 4 from 6 or something today so there must be something going on.

Last edited by a moderator:

aussie_warrior_old

30-12 to 24-12... I can only assume the 30-12 is a later score and 24-12 is old.

sebastian_old

I've never heard of a Warriors team getting so many 40-20's!! Or even winning all 3 trials, which I don't think we've ever done in our history. Sorry to hear about Kirk getting injured but Manu is the injury which concerns me the most "A rolled ankle" doesn't sound too serious you'd think he'd be right for Rd. 1? Anyone have info please??
Fien obviously wanted to make a statement tonight & from the sounds of it has pushed Stacey out of the No. 7 for the first round. Fien playing so well with Moon should also equate to Moon being 5/8. This game has made my mind up about our halves pairing, Fien 7, Moon 6. Stacey as the backup for Fien.

Ryno_old

Gold Coast Titans thumped 34-12 in pre-season trial

February 28, 2009 08:35pm
THE New Zealand Warriors wrapped up their NRL pre-season in fine fashion in Lismore with a 34-12 thumping of the Gold Coast Titans.

Spearheaded by halfback Nathan Fien and electric fullback Wade McKinnon, the Warriors dominated up front and out wide to register seven tries to two in front of 5156 fans.

After a scrappy start, Warriors centre Brent Tate stepped his way through some feeble Titans goal line defence to open the scoring 10 minutes in.

New Zealand capitalised on a build up of pressure at the Titans end when new five-eighth Joel Moon dropped a pin point kick for former Brisbane Broncos teammate Denan Kemp to touch down just inside the corner post.

While he missed his opening two conversion attempts, Kemp backed up his good work with the ball in hand minutes later at the opposite end of the park, producing a sensational try saving tackle on opposite Esi Tonga.

The Titans had their fair share of scoring opportunities, but lacked the ability to finish without skipper Scott Prince, who missed the clubs final trial match because of a long-standing family commitment.

A booming Nathan Fien 40-20 kick just a minute out from the half-time break ignighted the Warriors third try.

From the proceeding scrum, New Zealand No.1 Wade McKinnon chimed into the backline and split the Titans defensive line like ten pins to score just to the left of the uprights.

Kemp landed his first conversion of the night, to see the Warriors head into the sheds leading 14-0.

Titans coach John Cartwright rested his stars for the majority of the second stanza, giving those on the fringe of selection one final chance to impress before their opening match against the Newcastle Knights in a fortnight.

While the Gold Coast experimented, the Warriors - who used the match more as a round one warm up than a selection trial - wasted no time in picking up where they left off the previous half.

Steamrolling utility Sam Rapira crashed over just five minutes and Kemp converted.

Immediately from the kick off Fien landed another 40-20 and in a play almost identical to McKinnons first half try, Moon cruised though to cross the chalk without so much as a hand laid on him.

With a hint of blood in the water the Warriors began circling.

Exciting fullback McKinnon finished off a long range effort kick started by Tate down the right flank.

A clever weaving effort from stand-in Titans halfback Brad Davis close to the Warriors try-line, produced the Gold Coasts first points of the match in the 59th minute.

A slice of Shannon Walker magic, who took over the fullback role from William Zillman in the second half, saw the Titans score again minutes later.

But the damage had already been done.

Warriors winger Kemp crossed late in the match as a final insult to the Titans.

sebastian_old

I hope Ivan has a replacement for Fien in mind (if Fien does leave us at the end of the year) such as Peter Wallace or someone within that quality. If not & Fien's form continue's to impress I hope we offer Fien a new contract early in the season because if Fien does a have massive season we won't wanna lose him. I wonder what Ivan's vision for halfback is? Will he wait for Fien to impress or are we going after someone else?

Spence_old

Fien still has a few more years left in him, and I think, if given the choice, he would like to stay in Auckland.

ToiletDuck_old

Scott Prince wasn't playing? Damn. Oh well still a good victory.

What's the latest on Manu? Did he come back on at any point..?

2big2strong_old

There's one very important thing I need to point out about this game.....

It was an 'Away' game, in very hostile redneck country. Including our last few away games last year in Melbourne, Parramatta etc. it looks like we're starting to get away from that stereotype. We've now won 3 out of our last 4 'away' games. Hopefully that trend continues because I'm sick of hearing commentators go on and on about our 'abysmal' away record.

2big2strong_old

Some pics....

186401.jpg

186421.jpg

186451.jpg

186321.jpg

Samo_old

I heard Stacey Jones talking to someone as he was leaving the stadium and signing autographs. He told him he's not playing round 1.

Awesome 40/20's by Fien and I think Moon got one.(maybe 4 in total i think).

It was not an easy stadium to see the whole game but I think Manu came back on in the 2nd half.

We were right on the corner that Kemp got his first try, it looked awesome, was a real leap and did well to stay in the field of play.

Warriors fell asleep in the last 20 mins but did well with the final try a few mins out from the final whistle.

Goal line defense was awesome, at one stage the Warriors spending around 10 mins with back to back sets. Then as soon as they got to the opposition 20 they put points on within a couple of minutes