General Time for a change in culture..

Skinny_Ravs82

Another thing, it has been mentioned that initially Farah may have started the scuffle. How or why? Did some one accidently hit him or say something to him??

Ftr, I thought with a sin-bin offense it's usually when a player has been warned for commiting infringments once too often. Ie- they transgress twice in a space of a few minutes, or during the match. And isn't the ruling that a player is cautioned on the second infringement and on the 3rd occassion (maybe 4th depending how many times he gets called out) then the refs are forced to put them in the sin bin?

Jesbass_old

I'm not sure what Witt did to provoke him, but after tackling Witt, Farah threw a punch, then the Warriors swarmed him to stop it getting out of hand. THe ref warned Martin and Anderson for running to the fight, and about a minute later Anderson flopped on a Tigers player. The ref made no hesitation, and sent him to the bin.

Esoj_old

Never blame the ref.

Bad calls are a part of football. As a team you have to be better than that.

sometimes and normally I would agree. but when the ref makes game altering calls that cost teams games then they deserve everything they get. that sin bining was a joke and it ultimately was the turning point in the game. I am not sure if we would have won without the sin bining but the tigers may not have scored so many points without the sin bining and therefore won the game. I think with the way clark was going we still would have lost that game and the disicipline needs to lift when the ref is calling everything against us.

Skinny_Ravs82

It is true blaming the ref gets us no where. Still though if it's by their hands...or rather whistle which has changed the nature or the outcome of a match...it does blighten the game a little. I don't mind if players are the contributing factor in an outcome, win lose or draw but if the officials are part of it or play a heavy part in it, then perhaps their decisions making is under question. I just thought from what I heard it was a bit of a rash decision about the sin bin. His other decisions may have been 50-50 (unless it was blightenly obvious)

Jesbass_old

He had a poor game overall, in my opinion. He let forward passes go for both teams, but was quite inconsistent. He set a precedent right at the beginning by penalising Ropati for a negligible obstruction, (Ropati ran behind another Warrior, but there were no defenders anywhere nearby, so they weren't hindered), but he didn't maintain consistency. The Tigers did a much more blatant obstrucion later in the half and it went by mysteriously unnoticed.

Having said all that, though, I thought he controlled the ten metres very well. He stood 14 metres away from the play, instead of ten, and was able to catch defending players offside.

J_Hallow_old

He had a poor game overall, in my opinion. He let forward passes go for both teams, but was quite inconsistent. He set a precedent right at the beginning by penalising Ropati for a negligible obstruction, (Ropati ran behind another Warrior, but there were no defenders anywhere nearby, so they weren't hindered), but he didn't maintain consistency. The Tigers did a much more blatant obstrucion later in the half and it went by mysteriously unnoticed.

Having said all that, though, I thought he controlled the ten metres very well. He stood 14 metres away from the play, instead of ten, and was able to catch defending players offside.

Im finding that alot in most games in the NRL. A ref will penalise for one thing alot in the first 10 - 15 mins and then let it go for the rest of the game with the exception of a few times through out the game.

is it too hard to just ask for some consistency from Referees?????

Jesbass_old

Im finding that alot in most games in the NRL. A ref will penalise for one thing alot in the first 10 - 15 mins and then let it go for the rest of the game with the exception of a few times through out the game.

is it too hard to just ask for some consistency from Referees?????

Exactly. It's not surprising that a lot of fights break out due to the players getting increasingly frustrated by confusing and inconsistent calls by match officials.

J_Hallow_old

Exactly. It's not surprising that a lot of fights break out due to the players getting increasingly frustrated by confusing and inconsistent calls by match officials.

Its frustrating as anything to watch on tv or at the game. imagine being a player on the field???? it would be like a hundred times worse

What does robert finch do? i know he is the referee's boss, but what does he do? is he aware about the poor referee performances? its just not warriors games its across the NRL.
Like the match review committee for high tackles or what not. Maybe they should have one for Referree's, nothing like to hang them for their bad calls but maybe where individual referees can improve their game and what areas they are too strict on and not strict enough. something like this could improve the consistancy of their performances.

Mone_old

I dont think the refs are any worse than they have ever been.
The only difference is the amount of exposure they get, the amount of cameras on them,not to mention that they are listened to on microphones aswell.
What if a referee made some bad calls he gets dropped for a week, who comes in?
Then it will be wah wah we had a rookie ref that cost us the game.
The more refs get scrutinised the less they will do, before long they will throw everything up to the video refs and the games will run even longer (they already run longer than super 14 games, never thought I'd see that) than they do now.
Everyone gets frustrated by refs but if your getting penalized your doing something wrong!

Jesbass_old

Referees are defintiely worse now than they were a few years ago. Ever since Bill Harrigan retired, the qualityhas dropped considerably, and there aren't any more cameras and pressure now than what Bill experienced.

I liked the idea of coaches being able to challenge a call, ala American football. That'd slow the game down a little bit, but it would keep the referees honest.

Mone_old

They only get 2 per game in the NFL how many would you want?
And would a failed challenge result in a loss of an interchange?
How would you challenge throw a flag?
How long after the incident would you have to make a challenge?
And if a defensive side challenged and lost and that challenge stopped a quick play the ball by the offence what advantage should they get?
And if the answer to that is none, why not?
Bill had his detractors aswell Harrigan v Tallis.
And yes there are more cameras on Foxtel games than Bills era.

Joe 90_old

Definitely no one since Harrigan has had the same sort of intuitive feel for a game that he displayed.

While i would never blame a ref for losing a game i think just like players they have poor performances and just like players should be held accountable.

I'm sure they have review comittee's and such but their obviously not effective as we see the same bad calls week after week.

In any other area of sport be it playing or administrative your held accountable in order to get the best playing wise,product wise or outcome. This idea that refs are above criticism just promotes mediocrity which is exactly what these refs are.

And no i dont think Clarke lost us the game i think he's just a crap ref.

Jesbass_old

They only get 2 per game in the NFL how many would you want?
And would a failed challenge result in a loss of an interchange?
How would you challenge throw a flag?
How long after the incident would you have to make a challenge?
And if a defensive side challenged and lost and that challenge stopped a quick play the ball by the offence what advantage should they get?
And if the answer to that is none, why not?
Bill had his detractors aswell Harrigan v Tallis.
And yes there are more cameras on Foxtel games than Bills era.

I can't remember which NRL player brought it up last year, but basically, it would be two per team, with a loss of an interchange if unsuccessful.

I don't follow gridiron closely enough to understand the ins and outs of their application of the rule, but as a shell concept, I like it.

I'm surprised there are more cameras in 2007 than there were in 2002(?). I certainly haven't noticed many more at the gamesat Mt Smart. Perhaps they've increased in Australia?

J_Hallow_old

I can't remember which NRL player brought it up last year, but basically, it would be two per team, with a loss of an interchange if unsuccessful.

I don't follow gridiron closely enough to understand the ins and outs of their application of the rule, but as a shell concept, I like it.

I'm surprised there are more cameras in 2007 than there were in 2002(?). I certainly haven't noticed many more at the gamesat Mt Smart. Perhaps they've increased in Australia?

In regards to the challenges, what about this for an idea:

instead of coaches challenges have captains challenges

teams get 2 a half. one in extra time. if you dont use your 2 in the first half you dont get to use them in the next half, you only get two

Challenges can occur during an opposition try or a attacking teams try that may have been disallowed for what ever reason. it will work just like the ref sending it up stairs

if a challenge is successful then play will go on whether its a try or not. if its not successful then one interchange from the team will be taken away.

possibly having a time limit on a challenge of how long a video ref can look at may also be a good idea.

one problem may be if a team challenges and has no interchange left and losses the challenge. im not sure what could happen if anyone has any ideas

Skinny_Ravs82

Yeh the inconsistency has been a really big factor with the officials. Sometimes I don't so much mind when they make a decision but when they occassionally seems to have different rules for it, just weird.