International New Zealand Kiwis

Sparkles

Jaws​

Here’s a rumour going around.

Fitz has asked Wayne Bennett to come on as a coaching consultant for the sharks for next season.

I would all be for that if it’s true. Thoughts?
Would only help.... across the board, you'd think. Might snag us a few extra signings along the way to helping Fitz become the next super coach. He has good relationships with quality players.

Reactions:Gumby

[IMG alt="Proud Shark"]https://sharksforever.com/data/avatars/m/23/23499.jpg?1681451420[/IMG]

Proud Shark

Jaws​

Would be a great idea, and could probably handle that alongside the NZ gig if he got it

Yup I think Stacey can do a good job as coach. Is there a more respected Kiwis player.
It’s not a day to day appointment it’s similar to Origin about bringing the lads together and selecting the right team.
Love Bennett but he is a gun for hire which is cool but I want someone with passion for the Jersey.

Wayne’s the best man for the job but why dump Madge because he was gonna be coaching another team for 3 games a year then appoint Wayne who’s got a full 26 rounds and possibly finals ahead of him?
Seems bizarre to me.

Wayne’s the best man for the job but why dump Madge because he was gonna be coaching another team for 3 games a year then appoint Wayne who’s got a full 26 rounds and possibly finals ahead of him?
Seems bizarre to me.

They got nervous about Madge's possible conflict of interest with both jobs being representative football with eligibility over laps I would say.

Wayne on the other hand has a track record of being interested in strengthening other countries outside of Australia.

They got nervous about Madge's possible conflict of interest with both jobs being representative football with eligibility over laps I would say.

Wayne on the other hand has a track record of being interested in strengthening other countries outside of Australia.
I reckon Madge has a pretty good record of strengthening other countries too- 30-0…. But take your point.

I was listening to the James Graham podcast yesterday where he was chatting with George Burgess and John Bateman about the 2017 World Cup where Bennett was coaching England.

They spent half the time raving about him as a coach and the culture that he enables. It's the same with every other player I've heard talking about him.

I would love for him to come onboard to help mentor Stacey as the longterm option.

I reckon Madge has a pretty good record of strengthening other countries too- 30-0…. But take your point.
Lol they are both good men when it comes to international RL and we owe both a debt of gratitude.

Have to respect Madge for not dumping the Kiwis when he got the plumb Aussie Ranfurly shield job (shit that blue and maroon crap is over inflated inconsistent nonsense).

Gonna be interesting to see if Waynes motivational style has any influence on the Kiwis propensity to get thrashed in the qualifiers by the Kangaroos.

Maybe he can flick the switch early, if anyone can it is him.

The only downside I can see with Wayne is the likelihood of change to Madges player choices, since Wayne prefers to have an older player or three that he has a personal relationship with to help reinforce his mind games approach to RL.

Still, Wayne won't go too far off the reservation - he has limited choices, we don't have the depth anyway to be mucking around too much.

Looking forward to seeing if Wayne brings in Valynce.

Lol they are both good men when it comes to international RL and we owe both a debt of gratitude.

Have to respect Madge for not dumping the Kiwis when he got the plumb Aussie Ranfurly shield job (shit that blue and maroon crap is over inflated inconsistent nonsense).

Gonna be interesting to see if Waynes motivational style has any influence on the Kiwis propensity to get thrashed in the qualifiers by the Kangaroos.

Maybe he can flick the switch early, if anyone can it is him.

The only downside I can see with Wayne is the likelihood of change to Madges player choices, since Wayne prefers to have an older player or three that he has a personal relationship with to help reinforce his mind games approach to RL.

Still, Wayne won't go too far off the reservation - he has limited choices, we don't have the depth anyway to be mucking around too much.

Looking forward to seeing if Wayne brings in Valynce.
Off topic but I reckon it would be cool if they had a ranfurly shield type concept in the nrl.

I hope Stacey goes well but cant help feel we have missed a great opportunity here.

Just has Warriors 2012 vibes about it where Bluey took over.

When Wayne Bennett puts his hand up and says he wants to coach the team the only question you should be asking is 'How much do you need?'
Would've been good to have him on a short term contract with Stacey as his understudy (assistant) imo.

I am shocked we did not take Bennett for the role!! He is by far a superior coach to Stacey. When I read the article it's the first time we have had a Kiwi coach since David Kidwell it gave me PTSD!

If Aus, Eng, Samoa, Tonga, PNG had to pick a coach between Wayne and Stacey I am sure they would all be picking Wayne.

I really hope that Bennett would consider being an assistant coach to Stacey to help him. Fingers crossed this is not a case of we need a kiwi so let's not pick the best candidate for the role.
Good luck to Stacey and I hope he does well and creates his own dynasty with this group.

Congratulations Stacey and well played Andrew Webster.

When the Warriors coaches collectively came out and endorsed Stacey Jones as the next NZ coach they were promoting the Warriors best interests.

Now no one will question the absence of key Warriors from NZ duty, Andrew Webster will have a man on the inside.

Furthermore, the Warriors will want a local man looking after that stable of thoroughbreds and making strong ties with potential future signings - in that regard Bennet is like having a fox in the Hen House.

Last edited:
Congratulations Stacey and well played Andrew Webster.

When the Warriors coaches collectively came out and endorsed Stacey Jones as the next NZ coach they were promoting the Warriors best interests.

Now no one will question the absence of key Warriors from NZ duty, Andrew Webster will have a man on the inside.

Furthermore, the Warriors will want a local man looking after that stable of thoroughbreds and making strong ties with potential future signings - in that regard Bennet is like having a fox in the Hen House.

After years of stating that he never wants a head coaching job, I wonder why Stacey has all of a sudden changed his mind about taking on a head coaching role? (rhetorical, only Stacey can answer that).
Stacey has been saying for a while now that he wants to coach the Kiwis, its not all of a sudden.
SK might have lit the fire when he was coach here? And I think Stacey has probably gained some coaching nous from Webby that has him confident he can & wants to do it. He knows what it takes to be a player at that level for sure.
Here's hoping...

Damn, its hard to say Im "disappointed" because it is cool to have a Kiwis legend back in the role, but its Wayne Bennett man..

I actually had a chance to speak to a big dog in the NZRL pretty recently and I put them on the spot and asked them about Bennett. They changed the subject and told a story about a fun interaction they had with Wayne, but the sense I got was that "this masthead" (take a shot) liked him a fair bit. Glad I didn't put that in the thread earlier, would've got egg on my face lol

I wonder if Wayne would have any interest in still joining as an assistant like he did in '08?? He is getting up there, so that might even be preferrable in hindsight?

Back