General The Rumour Mill

Jesbass_old

So WB texted me a few rumours tonight from an anonymous source, but couldn't be bothered typing them up, so here they are...

*Wigan have signed Tim Smith.

*Steve Price took a pay cut to get Brent Tate to the club.

*Paul Bowman is the assistant Cowboys coach, starting immediately.

*Thomas Leuluai, may be on the outer with Wigan. Look for the Warriors to talk to him.

Keep in mind, folks, that these are rumours, and thus not necessarily accurate or official. But I think it goes without saying to watch this space...

commonsense_old

i heard about the tim smith rumour too. they picking up a problem imo.

thomas leuluai ay? im sorry im not convinced he is a halfback. dont get me wrong he is definitely talented but a halfback needs to be commanding and should be able to kick.

he is like lance hohaia. i think hooker is the best position for both of them.

imo leuluai is a better halfback than rovelli
but rovelli is a better kicker and thats not saying much.

Kid-Dynamite_old

The Paul Bowman rumour is true!

Tim Smith is apparently going to England but not officialy signed with Wigan as yet.

R.E Paul Bowman:

NORTH Queensland have turned to club legend Paul Bowman to help unite them after a tumultuous start to 2008.
The highly-regarded former captain was today appointed an assistant coach until the end of 2010, following last week's resignation by coach Graham Murray.

R.E Tim smith:

AS fallen young star Tim Smith moved to secure his future in England, Parramatta enforcer Nathan Hindmarsh said the Eels' season could hinge on the next two games.
Troubled Smith was released by Parramatta on April 24 after admitting he is battling bipolar disorder.

And now it has emerged he has been targeted by several UK clubs for next season, with Super League giants Wigan understood to leading the way for the halfback's signature.

Both from news.com.au

garyhobson_old

So WB texted me a few rumours tonight from an anonymous source, but couldn't be bothered typing them up, so here they are...

*Steve Price took a pay cut to get Brent Tate to the club.

*Thomas Leuluai, may be on the outer with Wigan. Look for the Warriors to talk to him.

Keep in mind, folks, that these are rumours, and thus not necessarily accurate or official. But I think it goes without saying to watch this space...

Thomas Leuluai doesnt have a kicking game. He played an awesome test match years ago when the kiwis upset oz. I'd be very suprised if the Warriors took a serious interest in signing him. I don't watch the uk sl but I wondered how hes grown as a halfback after 3 seasons in the UK. When he gets selected for the kiwi test matches thats the only time I watch him, I remember him early on in his career when he first debut in the nrl, by the looks of it he hasnt really kicked on and developed much since then.

Last edited by a moderator:

kiwi man_old

i would be cheering if we picked up leuleuai, much better then rovelli
stace seems to be a big fan of tommy L aswell

J_Hallow_old

Tim smith rumour has been around for ages. but tbh wouldnt surprise me now that riddell is there. smith and riddell are best mates. so riddell probably pulled a few strings and got him there.

Iafeta_old

Leuluai has half the kicking length of Grant Rovelli. He makes Rovelli like Andrew Johns and Clive Churchill combined.

Northern_Union

Geez thats a bloody harsh critique of Tommy, Iafeta. Leuluai has a more accurate kicking game than Govelli though not longer, makes his tackles stick and as a whole defends better than Govelli, has far better ball playing skills than Govelli and is perhapes on a par with Govelli on organisational skills....which really isn't a good thing for either.

Iafeta_old

Perhaps, even so though isn't it just falling into the same trap again? Buying mediocrity into a key position because he was available?

Northern_Union

Given theres not a lot of quality sevens around, surely Tommy would be a big improvement over Govelli?

Iafeta_old

You could argue Nat Wood would be an improvement on Grant Rovelli. That doesn't make it a logical decision.

I think Rovelli has proven this comprehensively once and for all. You need a quality halfback. Not a fill in, not a 'close enough', not a 'he's the son of a Kiwis legend', you need the real deal. There is no more crucial position in rugby league in my estimation, and suffering half measures is currently our ongoing recipe for failure. You need to avert it by finding quality, not enhance the quantity of weaknesses.

Skinny_Ravs82

Well, that's what I've been trying to say (without actually getting to it! lol). Its one thing to say we need a real-deal halfback, but instead the fans are insisting on just getting anybody who 'may look better' becuase you're desperate to solve the question

J_Hallow_old

Well, that's what I've been trying to say (without actually getting to it! lol). Its one thing to say we need a real-deal halfback, but instead the fans are insisting on just getting anybody who 'may look better' becuase you're desperate to solve the question

i think fans also want another back to create competition. i think if rovelli had more competition he may perform better as his first grade spot will be constantly under threat

Kid-Dynamite_old

i think if rovelli had more competition he may perform better as his first grade spot will be constantly under threat

Yea, I made a similar comment in another thread.

I think if Fien can make a good fist of playing in the halves, when Michael Witt is available i think it will create competition and hopefully bring the best out of Rovelli!

As 3 doesn't go into 2.

The only problem with this theory though is that it's a good chance when Witt comes back Cleary will go back to having Fien or Henderson in the 9 jersey and the other on the bench.

But we'll wait and see.

sebastian_old

Jeremy Smith & Ben Rogers want out of Souths *Rumour* Is Smith better than Rovelli? Would he be worth chasing?

Skinny_Ravs82

i think fans also want another back to create competition. i think if rovelli had more competition he may perform better as his first grade spot will be constantly under threat

Yes and I do concur with that, though as I say I'd rather if we were going to solve this, better with some who is more than just 'decent' and esp if they will only be marketedly better because that still doesn't really help

Kid-Dynamite_old

Ben Rogers is only about 23 or so!

He's probably not really what we are looking for though.

He's more of a 5/8th/lock kinda player.

Like Greg Bird.

TheBigHitter_old

You have hit the nail on the head!. People are just wanting change for changes sake. Pretty much anybody will do.

I think we need to go for someone who is going to be a long term fix, not just someone who might go alright.