General The Lino vs Johnson Debate

Lino or Johnson?

• Lino

• Johnson

Results are only viewable after voting.
Lino tries hard, anyone can see that. There's a thing called class tho that Shaun Johnson has that puts them on a whole different level.

The commentators are talking about it now but all through that game watching Jazz at dummyhalf I was thinking fark surely Lino could do a job for us at hooker. Quick off the mark, has a good pass, sure his defence may not be the greatest but sharing in a sort of impact role with someone could be an option to look at now Luke is out.
Lino's not a Hooker. Sure he's got a good passing game, running game and a decent kick but he doesn't have the tenacity and grub factor to play the position successfully. It takes a particular kind of player to really own the position. Tevanga would be perfect if he only had the speed and passing ability to compliment his strong defence. Unfortunately Lino's defence just isn't up to standard, and as a Hooker you can't expect your forwards to pick up the slack. You need to be able to fend for yourself in the middle.

Look at what's happening to Hingano over at the Raiders. Good running game, passing game and kicking game, yet gets laid out flat in a first up tackle because Sticky threw him in at Hooker. It's easier to hide a no. 6 and no. 7 defensive weaknesses by pairing them with a strong inside and outside defender. However, as a Hooker you're on the front line defending the middle.

I was really looking forward to having a look at Roache this season as he was looking the goods. It was just unfortunate that he got injured.

Lino's not a Hooker. Sure he's got a good passing game, running game and a decent kick but he doesn't have the tenacity and grub factor to play the position successfully. It takes a particular kind of player to really own the position. Tevanga would be perfect if he only had the speed and passing ability to compliment his strong defence. Unfortunately Lino's defence just isn't up to standard, and as a Hooker you can't expect your forwards to pick up the slack. You need to be able to fend for yourself in the middle.

Look at what's happening to Hingano over at the Raiders. Good running game, passing game and kicking game, yet gets laid out flat in a first up tackle because Sticky threw him in at Hooker. It's easier to hide a no. 6 and no. 7 defensive weaknesses by pairing them with a strong inside and outside defender. However, as a Hooker you're on the front line defending the middle.

I was really looking forward to having a look at Roache this season as he was looking the goods. It was just unfortunate that he got injured.

Fair points. I'm talking more of a Craig Wing/ Hohaia bench role really.

That said I don't actually think it'll happen. But for mine it was clear last season Jazz couldn't cut the mustard as a hooker. I'm picking we'll probably see Sam Cook or Lawton get the call up.

Reactions: leaguejunkie
One thing no halfback can ever get away with in this day and age is hiding on the flanks on defence. Mason Lino became a turnstile sitting inside Ken Maumalo when the Storm ran it out wide early in the set. Say what you want about Shaun Johnson but at least he can carry his weight on defence. The NRL is no place for weak defenders and Lino got found out tonight...
You’re kidding right? Shaun would have made zero difference with that attack

I agree. Lino haters can fuck off if they think their gonna lay any blame on him for this loss. I have more respect for him after this loss than I did when he played us to the last couple of wins. Showed a lot of heart and dedication in everything he did even though he got trampled a few times. My only concern is that he doesn’t step of the right foot in field. Always moving very lateral

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Read it again. I said nothing about attack did I. Get off Lino's dick for one second and read the post properly.

I'm talking about defence. Who was playing centre and got stepped like a statue for the Storms first try? How many times did Lino weaken the edge defence trying to hide? How many times did the Storm run it early in the set to him?

Go back and watch the replay. I'll wait...

Johnson would have made a difference.... the 2018 version is a far stronger defender than Lino.But Green missed at least two cover tackles to allow tries in so if Lino is roasted then Green needs a bit of a serve for weak efforts on cover. You can't place the blame for the loss on Lino, but you certainly can't absolve him from some responsbility

Read it again. I said nothing about attack did I. Get off Lino's dick for one second and read the post properly.

I'm talking about defence. Who was playing centre and got stepped like a statue for the Storms first try? How many times did Lino weaken the edge defence trying to hide? How many times did the Storm run it early in the set to him?

Go back and watch the replay. I'll wait...
I think he meant the Storms attack. But I agree, Shaun Johnson is definitely a better defender.

Reactions: Defence

Inruin

Contributor
One thing no halfback can ever get away with in this day and age is hiding on the flanks on defence. Mason Lino became a turnstile sitting inside Ken Maumalo when the Storm ran it out wide early in the set. Say what you want about Shaun Johnson but at least he can carry his weight on defence. The NRL is no place for weak defenders and Lino got found out tonight...
I actually saw that differently, i thought Hiku was getting owned at centre. That first break of the game that led to the Storm first try was just embarassing from him. I thought Hiku got moved in one to hide him after that.

Reality is they are both not great defensively and without Harris even worse

Johnson has been amongst this type of performance, poor team defense, little go forward and poor dummy half service for a long time and still managed to pull out plays that have either occasionally saved the day or at least highlighted his class. Lino was ineffective stepping into his shoes as a result of injuries during a series of games in previous seasons. This season, individuals such as Luke and the team structure have improved out of sight allowing a structured half such as Lino to perform his role on the front foot. He has looked good when we are the better team this season. Johnson has looked good through his career, when we have not been the better team.

Reactions: AlexM and Defence
We were getting smashed up the middle because our line speed was down. Running a small forward pack means players have to be quick getting to the tackle and energized when they get there. That was the first problem. All our other problems stemed from that.

Slater basically got a free kick for that first try. In previous games he would have put it over the sideline and been laid out flat for his efforts due to the intensity of our defenders.

But I have to agree. Shaun Johnson is better than Lino. Lino has had the benefit of our two most energized efforts. Then he was lucky enough to be on our least and he struggled.