General The Lino vs Johnson Debate

Lino or Johnson?

• Lino

• Johnson

Results are only viewable after voting.

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
Lino has played in two great victories this season, over 1st place St George/Illawarra, and 6th place Eastern Suburbs.

Shaun Johnson has played in our only loss this season to the 8th place Brisbane, and has been there for wins against 7th place South Sydney, 9th place Gold Coast, 11th place Canberra, and 15th place North Queensland.

Shaun Johnson: 5 game averages.

0.2 tries per game, 73.9% goal kicking, 0.8 try assists, 0.4 line break assists, 0.4 forced dropouts, 0.6 offloads, 84.8% tackle efficiency.

Lino: 2 game averages.

1 try per game, 81.8% goal kicking, 0.5 try assists, 0 line break assists, 0.5 forced dropouts, 0 offloads, 66.7% tackle efficiency.

Have at it.

YeahNah 4020

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 6, 2017
Lino has impressed beyond my comprehension of where he is as a player and am proud for the kid.

Shaun Johnson is a tried and true and battered warrior who has been involved in everything.

Is Lino running on just skill or adrenaline of being on the big stage and how would his stats look or body hold up after a whole season?

Lino stays but Shaun Johnson plays every time

Last edited:

Hadyn

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2013
Lino is going really well however when Brandy Alexander ( a great half back himself) declares that Shaun Johnson is the most talented and skilled player in the competition and Gasnier agrees that is good enough for me.
Also Shaun Johnson can do everything Lino can but Lino can't do everything Shaun Johnson can.
If Shaun Johnson is fit he is in the side and if he or Green get injured Mason comes in as good cover.
End of debate.

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
I'm playing devils advocate here.

The team plays better as a unit when Lino is playing. His short kicking game is always on point, meaning we have a twin short kicking attack with him and green. This means the ball does a lot more work when Lino is playing than when Shaun Johnson is playing. Which means our forwards have more gas in the tank and our opposition are under more of a try scoring threat.

Last edited:

Warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 4, 2014
IMO Lino is benefiting from low expectations. If Johnson had played the exact game Lino did against the Roosters, nobody would have batted an eyelid. But because it came from a rookie that people underestimated he was talked up as one of the best players on the field.

Which is not to say that Lino isn't playing well. He's certainly exceeded my expectations from him, but I still think Johnson is well ahead if fit.

Aman

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 9, 2016
I just watched the replay of the game. I love Shaun Johnson but Lino is just so much more busier and involved. He takes really smart sniping runs from dummy half which I’ve never seen Shaun Johnson do. Lino also attacks the line more even though he’s half the size and has half the skill as Shaun Johnson. Nobody on here is saying Lino is a better player than Shaun Johnson but I seriously think Lino makes other players better around him. I’m sure Lino will have a bad game and we’ll all say how much we miss Shaun Johnson which is fair enough but when it does happen can we have Shaun Johnson with linos heart and bravery??

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 27, 2016
Kumeu
I like Lino better, he is not pretty, he works hard, he does halfback stuff not dancing and when you see him from the stands you see how much he does off the ball.

I like Shaun Johnson when he is fit, and runs the ball, nobody is better, but he looks hampered by injury at the moment.

Shaun Johnson's short kicking game is poor, Lino's is very good.

Shaun Johnson is more of a threat and creates more space, his step is way better but he isn't faster at the moment.

Both are pretty good at conversions but nothing special.

Both are good defensively, Shaun Johnson may be better one on one (the 2018 version anyway), Lino is a terrier and all over the show covering and joining in when a tackle is underway.

If Shaun Johnson is fit he is the number 1, At the moment Shaun Johnson is not fit so Lino is number 1.

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 27, 2016
Kumeu
Massive difference between getting yourself up for a one off game here and there versus doing it week in and week out.

Lino has been exceptional, but lets not kid ourselves about what the best halves pairing for us is.
I would say neither has done it week in week out, Shaun Johnson because of form/injury, Lino because of opportunity

Aman

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 9, 2016
I like Lino better, he is not pretty, he works hard, he does halfback stuff not dancing and when you see him from the stands you see how much he does off the ball.

I like Shaun Johnson when he is fit, and runs the ball, nobody is better, but he looks hampered by injury at the moment.

Shaun Johnson's short kicking game is poor, Lino's is very good.

Shaun Johnson is more of a threat and creates more space, his step is way better but he isn't faster at the moment.

Both are pretty good at conversions but nothing special.

Both are good defensively, Shaun Johnson may be better one on one (the 2018 version anyway), Lino is a terrier and all over the show covering and joining in when a tackle is underway.

If Shaun Johnson is fit he is the number 1, At the moment Shaun Johnson is not fit so Lino is number 1.

Shaun Johnson has not had that explosive speed and acceleration since his ankle injury. What if he’s not being hampered by injury and this is just what he is now? What then?

Reactions: diehard

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings