Internationals The Kearney/kiwis Coach Thread

Should Stephen Kearney be retained as head coach of the Kiwis?

• Yes

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • No

Votes: 41 83.7%

• Total voters
"......Holden compared the reappointment to the All Blacks' retention of coach Graham Henry following their 2007 World Cup failure. Henry was retained and guided New Zealand to success on home soil four years later...."

https://nrl.com/kearney-retained-as-kiwis-coach/tabid/10874/newsid/76392/default.aspx

I'm not surprised we retained kearney....obviously very smart individuals at the NZRL senior executive team...Graham Henry won everything except for the WC...Kearney hasnt won anythign including the WC...

So disappointed with the result

Yep, Kearney for at least another two years.

https://www.nzrl.co.nz/news-archive/kearney-retains-kiwis-coaching-role.aspx

I wonder who the other candidates were? Guessing one of them was Kidwell.

based on a previous article, apparently it came down to Stephen Kearney, Richie Blackmore, David Kidwell, Glenn Morrison

Reactions: 1 users
Half the Kiwis can barely speak English,
One of those became a commentator......fookn NZ's attempt at replicating the Kings speech.....except in this movie instead of an Aussie Speech therapist they have Andrew Voss translator " Chownsend " Voss retorts in a elocution enunciation ' yes Chad Townsend Blah blah Daryl "

Whats Halligans secound first language ?

I'm not surprised we retained kearney....obviously very smart individuals at the NZRL senior executive team...Graham Henry won everything except for the WC...Kearney hasnt won anythign including the WC...

REALLY?!! I watched the Kiwis win the WC in 08 and correct me if i'm wrong but I beleive it was only Kearney's 2nd in charge.

So who would rather, that Australian ahhh... what's his name.. yeah right.

Stephen Kearney's shrewd senses detected subtle changes in the Kiwis behavior.

"The team were travelling to London to prepare for the semi-final against England and he was "a bit puzzled" by what was happening on the bus. "

It probably looked something like this :

Reactions: 1 user
"......Holden compared the reappointment to the All Blacks' retention of coach Graham Henry following their 2007 World Cup failure. Henry was retained and guided New Zealand to success on home soil four years later...."

https://nrl.com/kearney-retained-as-kiwis-coach/tabid/10874/newsid/76392/default.aspx

based on a previous article, apparently it came down to Stephen Kearney, Richie Blackmore, David Kidwell, Glenn Morrison
I always get the feeling NZ rugby league is a jobs for the boys culture. From management to coaching to media there always seems to be unqualified ex players.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
I always get the feeling NZ rugby league is a jobs for the boys culture. From management to coaching to media there always seems to be unqualified ex players.
You can count the Warriors in on that score.

From the few names that were being bandied around it really comes as no surprise that Kearney was reappointed. He was head and shoulders the best candidate. Says more about the lack of coaching depth then anything else really...

'Fittler mentioning Hargreaves came back from the World Cup 130 kg.......he's playing for the Roosters at 124kg after working hard'.

Another Tick in the Kearney reappointment Box.

Those Roosters took the piss over there aye...well not the piss....they had an alcohol ban in place after all :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Fittler mentioning Hargreaves came back from the World Cup 130 kg.......he's playing for the Roosters at 124kg after working hard.

Another Tick in the Kearney reappointment Box.

Those Roosters took the piss over there aye...well not the piss....they had an alcohol ban in place after all :rolleyes:

Maybe Im just missing something...whats the whats the link between hargreaves working hard and kearney's reappointment?

Not sure if it was meant JWH came back from the WC overweight or returned to training that way, after all he did his several weeks between both incharge of himself.

Just seen this about Cleary.

Ivan Cleary won't be staying on as the Kiwis assistant coach.

The Panthers coach assisted Stephen Kearney during last year's Rugby League World Cup, but Kearney told Radio Sport's D'Arcy Waldegrave Cleary can't continue because of his NRL commitments.

"From our point of view we want to make sure we get the right person for the right role, and that's what we're working through at the moment.

"We're pretty close so we should have something for you over the next week or so."

The NZRL will be appointing two assistants.

Just seen this about Cleary.

Ivan Cleary won't be staying on as the Kiwis assistant coach.

The Panthers coach assisted Stephen Kearney during last year's Rugby League World Cup, but Kearney told Radio Sport's D'Arcy Waldegrave Cleary can't continue because of his NRL commitments.

"From our point of view we want to make sure we get the right person for the right role, and that's what we're working through at the moment.

"We're pretty close so we should have something for you over the next week or so."

The NZRL will be appointing two assistants.
The Way cleary came out and said that there were too many internationals in the Calendar kinda preempted that. Good. Clear conflict of interest had he made himself available.

The Way cleary came out and said that there were too many internationals in the Calendar kinda preempted that.

Too many internationals?, Too many internationals? You're joking, there's not enough internationals. International Rugby League is a joke. All there is, is a mid year ANZAC Test, and maybe end of year Four Nations, and once every 4 to 5 years a World Cup.

International Rugby League is run by Clubs. Clubs in the NRL, Super League in England, and that's it.

We don't do any tours any more apart from the 4 Nations.

Lets look at Rugby (and before you anti-rugby union guys say something it's just for comparision) From 1903 to say the early 90's International Rugby use to have maybe 5 to 6 tests a year just like the League, but now they have something like 10-12 to 14 tests a year. And even then players are saying that's too much.

What would you rather do, play for a club or play for your country. I would love to play for my country.

League is and will be for ever the weakest International team sport you can get.

Football, Hockey, Rugby, Cricket and any other team sport is better than International League.

Club League is the best but it's so detriemental to the International game.

Too many Internationals - My arse.