Internationals The Kearney/kiwis Coach Thread

Should Stephen Kearney be retained as head coach of the Kiwis?

• Yes

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • No

Votes: 41 83.7%

• Total voters

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
kearney's record against Australia is about the same as other kiwi coaches who have had some success over the aussies like lowe, endacott, mclennan. One think i think needs to be kept in mind is that he had twice as many games against the aussie as i think both lowe and mclennan only had 8 games each against Australia both for a 2 win record where as with Kearney he had 15 games against aussies for his 2 win 1 draw 12 loss record.

kearney hasnt coached a side to beat australia since 2010 now 4 years ago, i give him props for timing his 2 wins over Australia in finals but i think hes been fading since 2011.... time for a change but only if a better candidate can be found... kearneys still young as a coach and may develop in future years who know it's not unheard of to coach the kiwi's twice i think the guy before graham lowes reign was on his second stint as kiwi coach cant remember as anything before mid 1980's before my time
do you remember when Wayne Bennett was giving Kearny a hand with coaching?
they showed in the dressing rooms and Wayne was laying the law down as Kearny stood with his back against the wall, which lead me to believe the it was Wayne that won us the world cup not Kearny.
just my thoughts that's all.

I know the players and people involved with the 2008 team say that win was Kearney's but there is no doubt Bennett had a larger influence than just looking after the defence. He is famous for getting players to play for him; that team played with a lot of pride and didn't get flustered when they were behind like a lot of Kiwis teams.

Reactions: Sup42

kiwi's 13-6

yeah Kearney was co pilot for the 2008 world cup win. he has had twice the usual amount of shots at the Aussies at 15 when most get half that many attempts. We need someone who can step up aim for the kiwi's to at least be 50/50 with Australia and deliver that goal a tough ask but not impossible. any kiwi coach applicant you would want to demonstrate how and what they could do differently to achiceve an at least even record against the aussies!

Kenny-Dowall, Nightingale and Shaun Johnson have all openly backed and are hoping Kearney's re application is successful but it's time for a change I reckon, Kearney had 6 years in charge, he's done his dash as far as I'm concerned.

I don't want Tony Iro or Ivan Cleary as Kiwis coach either, not ruthless enough, I wouldn't say no to a high profile aussie coach like Bellamy, Hasler or Meninga but I think they'd all be interested in being Kangaroos coach more then Kiwis coach, Richie Blackmore or David Kidwell would make a good Kiwis coach.

kiwi's 13-6

I'd say local (nz citizens) contenders would be - Kearney (if he re applies) Tony Iro, David Kidwell, John Ackland

Ivan cleary probably top australian candidate likely to apply and only australian likely to be considered barring some huge name like bennet, bellamy or hassler applying for the position

If i was selecting the Kiwi's coach i would ideally be looking for someone with...

- past NRL first grade coaching or assistant coach experience minimum.you wouldn't want anyone in the kiwi's coaching role nowdays who wasn't familiar with an nrl coaching set up and system. (don't want to totally rule out non NRL candidate but they would have to have a phenomenal record in the local game, super league, overseas and have a very good general knowledge of NRL standards and practises to be in with a chance)

-Track record of coaching before NRL level with record of improving sides, attaining some success ( minor premierships, semi and grand finals, wining one off matches, 3 match series or knockout comps etc) man management, planing and actual coaching skills and ability proven at Super league, nrl U20's, Uk championship, qld or Nsw cup, fox memorial, france elite 1, age grade rep sides. in the past

- some demonstrated ability to motivate, create a team bond yet retain team standards, maintain good public image and prepare sides with short lead in times

- someone who sets difficult yet attainable goals like beating Australia at least 50% of the time we play them and has plans on how to implement those plan to attain that goal!

if they can do all that then thanks you got the job for 2 years trial period but you must beat aussie at least once in that time and win at least 75% of games against gb/england and must win every game against 2nd tier nations these are the minimum achievement standards for the role! then if you can tick those boxes and maybe more.... you get a 2 year extension to coach the kiwi's and a shot at wining the 2017 world cup

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say local (nz citizens) contenders would be - Kearney (if he re applies) Tony Iro, David Kidwell, John Ackland

Ivan cleary probably top australian candidate likely to apply and only australian likely to be considered barring some huge name like bennet, bellamy or hassler applying for the position

If i was selecting the Kiwi's coach i would ideally be looking for someone with...

- past NRL first grade coaching or assistant coach experience minimum.you wouldn't want anyone in the kiwi's coaching role nowdays who wasn't familiar with an nrl coaching set up and system. (don't want to totally rule out non NRL candidate but they would have to have a phenomenal record in the local game, super league, overseas and have a very good general knowledge of NRL standards and practises to be in with a chance)

-Track record of coaching before NRL level with record of improving sides, attaining some success ( minor premierships, semi and grand finals, wining one off matches, 3 match series or knockout comps etc) man management, planing and actual coaching skills and ability proven at Super league, nrl U20's, Uk championship, qld or Nsw cup, fox memorial, france elite 1, age grade rep sides. in the past

- some demonstrated ability to motivate, create a team bond yet retain team standards, maintain good public image and prepare sides with short lead in times

- someone who sets difficult yet attainable goals like beating Australia at least 50% of the time we play them and has plans on how to implement those plan to attain that goal!

if they can do all that then thanks you got the job for 2 years trial period but you must beat aussie at least once in that time and win at least 75% of games against gb/england and must win every game against 2nd tier nations these are the minimum achievement standards for the role! then if you can tick those boxes and maybe more.... you get a 2 year extension to coach the kiwi's and a shot at wining the 2017 world cup

kiwis play aus twice a year meaning we need to win 1/4 games in 2yrs.....not guna happen, we dont have enough depth/big game experience/players and not to mention facing the greatest team who have the Moron spine/backline with nsw forward pack. Only chance we had was when bengi was in, so kiss all those free dreams of us or any country beating AUS goodbye. They are the all blacks of RL last time we won was 2010 haha 4 years ago so gudluck to whoever the poor bastard is that gets the job

lets approach someone and throw sum money at them like Bellamy, Hasler or Bennett and have a Kidwell or Iro as his assistant.

lets approach someone and throw sum money at them like Bellamy, Hasler or Bennett and have a Kidwell or Iro as his assistant.
I often wonder where Owen Glens Philanthropy bent ends in Rugby league ( emphasize the giving money way business model with the Kiwis. ).

I guess we will find out. He may have no appetite for finding an international level end goal for players in his new school boy competition.

kiwi's 13-6

Harlz i disagree with you i think NZ beating Australia at least once in 2 years is an attainable goal and should be a requirement to a coaches contract being extended another 2 years. Graham Lowe, Tank Gordon, Daniel Anderson, Brian Mclennan, coaching records all indicate that is not only possible but a virtual requirment of the role if you want to be remembered in any kind of positive light when your coaching run is up! Bob Bailey, Endacott and Steve Kearney have achieved that feat for part of their kiwi's coaching contracts and when they couldnt maintain that well it's probly time to go....

Australia's no more stronger in depth and star power now than they have been at any time in recent history but we are now stronger in depth and star power than we have ever been. We have so much depth that players to come from our systems (jnr kiwi's, nz residents, Kiwi's) played for 3 other nations at the world cup in the halves chase england, roberts samoa, john cook islands and with leuleuai injured still had foran and johnson. With lance hohaia and liam foran at home waiting for a call while niether of those two is quite test match halve quality they both have nrl and esl experience in the halves and hohaia was a pocket rocket KIwi's level utility/fullback! we need to set realistic difficult yet attainable goals to improve our performance

reading the article in the nz herald today (hi you can you send me part of your pay check if your gonna use my ideas!) Ritchie Blackmore has very good track record i didn't realize it was that extensive and has a lot of success at different levels fox memorial, nz Maori's, jnr kiwi's and has experience coaching semi pro levels in vulcans and UK. True what blackmore said about some ex players getting handed NRL coaching gigs which they dont really deserve with no coaching experience like brad fittlers case. Suppose NZRL could get Blackmore to observe AT several NRL set ups for a couple of weeks so he is up to speed in that department if they want him in the role. Gary Kemble's case has sadly set NZ based coaches chances back a fair bit with NRL players up several levels beyond kemble's coaching knowledge base and farcically laughing in the coaching box while his side got thrashed, then getting wipped 3 -0 by england and only just beating France!!!! you would think NZRL want to ensure that never happens again! David Kidwell has a good but shorter track record with Souths u20's, assistant at melbourne and now wests, tony iro and john ackland not mentioned in aticle you would think that one or both of them would be interested

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jah
Kearney didn't have a chance with six idiots in lala land.

Had they put up an epic fight against the Roos in the final , a 12-12 epic or anything of the sort he wouldn't be in the International coaching dole cue

Reactions: Ranger
Glenn Morrison is currently coaching the Dewsbury Rams in the level below SL.
Geepers a man with ambition.
The Kingstone Championship Dewsbury Rams site has few followers and an index board full of no replies.
Probably a hard man to find anything out about then.
Has he been part of any international coaching set up I wonder ?

The U.S coach Terry Matterson would make sense.

RL Player Magazine ‏@RLPMagazine 1h
Stephen Kearney, Richie Blackmore, David Kidwell and Glenn Morrison are the 4 men short listed for the vacant Kiwi head coaching position.

So disappointed with NZRL if this is true. They did a comprehensive review and they are concluding that the best we can do is 2/10 games against australia (kearney's record I think). How can Kearney even be considered after the performance in WC. The review lacks any credibility for mine, that their outcome was to short list a bunch of candidates who have no experience even at NRL level. What was the selection committee thinking, "we want to win the anzac test and next year's four nations, so we will appoint someone with no prior coaching experience, as the head coach of NZ, yep, thats the best approach to beat australia". How stupid do you have to be to think that would work.

I feel for the players...there's so much talent in the NZ squads of the last couple of years, if only someone can come up with the right game plan to beat australia. You need to have someone in there that the players look upto, someone that the players want to impress and win the anzac match for. Look at what australia have done. They've picked someone with 600 NRL games experience. And our best option is someone who was fired after 1 year in FG. Look at queensland, everytime a queensland player is interviewed they say we want to do it for Mal Meninga...what would Kieran Foran, SBW be thinking? I want to do it for Glen Morrison (who the hell is Glen Morrison)?

Why are we so intent on picking a kiwi for the sake of picking a kiwi...why is it hard for us to admit that we dont have a kiwi in rugby league circles who is fit for the role of head coach of NZ rugby league team....and look else where. Based on the list they've put together i'm assuming they havent gone with this to the belamys, haslers, tooveys, maguires, robinsons etc. I'd be surprised if there isnt a single successful current or past NRL coach in australia who wouldnt want to take up this offer...

If for what ever reason we have to (come what may) stick to NZ coach, then atleast think outside the square...in the other thread we were discussing how john hart setup structure for Ivan Cleary at the warriors, is it really that impossible for a successful rugby coach (henrys, wayne smiths, robbie deans etc, im not saying it has to be these, but these are the names that come to mind) to coach rugby league (as long as he has able rugby league minds surrounding him)...those guys are successful for a reason, they know how to win, they know how to beat the "Never say die" attitude of aussies, they know how to take on a stronger opponent and beat them with strategy...Think about the buzz that it would create in NZ rugby league community, the players themselves, when they read that a "Graham Henry" is going to coach them in the anzac test...He may not even do much hands on coaching but the buzz that the players would feel having had a pep talk from Graham Henry/Wayne Smith and running onto the field.

But of course we short list,Stephen Kearney, Richie Blackmore, David Kidwell and Glenn Morrison....

Of the mentioned short list, my preference is Kidwell. No other reason than I liked his hard-man approach.

Blackmore would be next.

But everyone is upset that we are after coaches with limited or no real top level experience. The way I see it, until we see the entire Aussie team turned over, and an epic squad of future NZ superheros, there is no point playing the standard game against Australia. I reckon we get a fruitloop coach with some crazy game plans and we stun Australia out of the games. Come at them with nothing but razzle dazzle, and no fear, or a strategy of crush them into the dust, even if we end up playing 10 on 13 through send-offs. Forget trying to outmuscle Oz throughout 80 minutes, it can't be done, but make them scared to hit the ball up, and see how we go. Or don't try to out-defend them, because they will just wear us down and an Inglis, or Smith, or Thurston will just create something undefendable to take the lead, and we won't have the ability to run them down.

Lets just go out there and play touch on attack and come what may. Stop playing them at their own game.

And stop doing it for someone else. Go out there and do it for yourself. There is nothing more focusing than doing it for yourself. A brotherhood only gets you so far. Be the best because you want to be, not because you feel an obligation to the guy next to you.

We have nothing to lose, as nothing else we have ever tried has produced anything other than a random finals win.

If we still haven't achieved anything of note after a couple of years, then lets pick one of the aforementioned coaches, who will, by that stage, probably have had a year or more of top grade experience.

Reactions: eudebrito
Just a point, if the short list doesn't excite you, imagine what the long list must have looked like. I remember several years ago some school kid applied for the AB's job, maybe he's still looking for his first gig.