Internationals The Kearney/kiwis Coach Thread

Should Stephen Kearney be retained as head coach of the Kiwis?

• Yes

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • No

Votes: 41 83.7%

• Total voters
Give it to Ackland, he is deserving of a chance, I'm unsure if the warriors have sacked a genius or joker, so give him a crack at the Anzac test, we may have offloaded a Coach that actually did impose a culture a very very successful culture.
I don't belive it was just blind luck that he could consistently get the 20s up and I can't say I was happy with a couple of his processes during his tenure, but you can't deny the effectiveness of his selection process and strategies utilised with different teams..

Reactions: mt.wellington

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Bennett the only option IMO if we going to trouble the Roo's we need him.
Sure I read somewhere he had dismissed the idea when questioned about it. "Been there done that" sorta comment. Would love him at the Warriors though.

kiwi's 13-6

Does anyone have exact figures of Steve Kearney's overall win loss record as kiwi's coach from 2008 to 2013?

as far as i can tell its 17 wins 1 draw 14 loses (including warm up games against cook islands 2013, Samoa 2010 and Tonga 2009)

Record against Australia was 2 wins 1 draw 12 loses

Record against England was 4 wins 2 loses

how does this compare to the other kiwi coaches in more recent time like brian Mclennan, Frank Endacott, Graham Lowe, Daniel Anderson, Bob Bailey, Tank gordon. I think Mclennan, Endacott and Lowe both had 2 wins against against australia, bob bailey 1 win one draw, anderson 1 win 1 draw and tank gordon 1 win.

no doubt Kearney better Kiwi's coach than Howie Tamati, Gary Freeman and gary kemble lol!but if his 2 wins against Australia same as Mclennan, Endacott and Lowe and those 3 had the advantage over England/GB as well i dont think Endacott ever lost to englang/GB, mclennan lost twice to england/GB and Lowe only lost once to england/GB with one draw but lowe lost to PNG once tho!

i'd like to see who has the better overall coaching record for the kiwi's out of kearney, mclennan and Endacott...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sup42
Kearneys World cup is a stand alone achievement , first always are , his defense was pretty good campaign wise till Aussie did their thing.

As far as total wins , dunno. Kearney had some narrow losses to Australia at least a couple that were worth watching. That Anzac game is an eyesore.

Lowey never won a series over Aussie , came pretty dam close , Bluey won a tournament I can't recall the others winning one.

Kearney with his two tournament wins inclusive of the WC , both V Australia in finals must go down as the best record of any NZ coach.

Reactions: brightman

tajhay

🏉
Kiwis advertise for new head coach

In what could be the writing on the wall for Stephen Kearney, New Zealand Rugby League has formally advertised the Kiwis head coach role.

Kearney guided the Kiwis to their 2008 World Cup triumph - when he was assisted by Australian mastermind Wayne Bennett - and 2010 Four Nations success.

But, most recently, Kearney was at the helm for the embarrassing 34-2 World Cup final demolition against Australia at Old Trafford in December last year.

In front of almost 75,000 supporters, the Kangaroos scored five tries in one of the worst displays from the Kiwis in recent times. The NZRL is also investigating whether players misused prescription drugs - combining sleeping pills with energy drinks - during the World Cup campaign.

Kearney's contract ended after that tournament and, while the Brisbane Broncos assistant coach has indicated he will re-apply for his position, the NZRL is clearly after a change of direction.

"Stephen has done a great job with the Kiwis, but this is a chance for us to test the market and see who else puts their hand up for the role," NZRL chief executive Phil Holden said.

"We have a big year in prospect and want a strong build-up towards what may well be a 2017 World Cup on home soil."

Applications for the Kiwis coaching position close in 10 days on January 31, with a short list of candidates to be interviewed in early February and a recommendation made to the NZRL board mid-month.

Former Kiwis David Kidwell, currently the Wests Tigers assistant coach, and Richie Blackmore have been linked to the role, while former Warriors now Penrith Panthers coach Ivan Clearly could be in the mix.

The six-man selection panel consists of Holden, three NZRL board members - chairman Scott Carter, former Kiwis player Iva Ropati and former Kiwis manager Ray Haffenden - high performance manager Tony Iro, and High Performance Sport NZ coaching consultant and world champion Black Sox softball coach Eddie Kohlhase.

"What's driving this from our point of view is the Anzac test," Holden said. "We're trying to create as much time as we can to prepare for that first challenge of the year."

The appointment process will take place in parallel with a review of the Kiwis' World Cup campaign, conducted under a template provided by High Performance Sport New Zealand and due for completion in early February.

"Obviously, there were things we did really well and other things we need to improve on to reclaim the World Cup next time round," Holden said.

"We wanted this process to be as robust as possible to help us get the right coach in place and begin our long-term preparations for 2017."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/9633423/Kiwis-advertise-for-new-head-coach

hallelujah!

Wouldn't hurt if it was another coach and there's no reason Kearney can't come back into the fold at a later date (assuming he wouldn't accept being an assistant if he's replaced by another coach).

Good move by the NZRL - however it pans out with Kearney. The only negative result would be if the NZRL don't get at least two envelopes with an "I Wanna Be The Kiwis Coach" letter stuffed in it before January 31...

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
Wouldn't hurt if it was another coach and there's no reason Kearney can't come back into the fold at a later date (assuming he wouldn't accept being an assistant if he's replaced by another coach).

Good move by the NZRL - however it pans out with Kearney. The only negative result would be if the NZRL don't get at least two envelopes with an "I Wanna Be The Kiwis Coach" letter stuffed in it before January 31...

it would be even better if one came from Sydney with a picture of a knight in the corner.

Reactions: Jah
Does anyone have exact figures of Steve Kearney's overall win loss record as kiwi's coach from 2008 to 2013?

as far as i can tell its 17 wins 1 draw 14 loses (including warm up games against cook islands 2013, Samoa 2010 and Tonga 2009)

Record against Australia was 2 wins 1 draw 12 loses

Record against England was 4 wins 2 loses

how does this compare to the other kiwi coaches in more recent time like brian Mclennan, Frank Endacott, Graham Lowe, Daniel Anderson, Bob Bailey, Tank gordon. I think Mclennan, Endacott and Lowe both had 2 wins against against australia, bob bailey 1 win one draw, anderson 1 win 1 draw and tank gordon 1 win.

no doubt Kearney better Kiwi's coach than Howie Tamati, Gary Freeman and gary kemble lol!but if his 2 wins against Australia same as Mclennan, Endacott and Lowe and those 3 had the advantage over England/GB as well i dont think Endacott ever lost to englang/GB, mclennan lost twice to england/GB and Lowe only lost once to england/GB with one draw but lowe lost to PNG once tho!

i'd like to see who has the better overall coaching record for the kiwi's out of kearney, mclennan and Endacott...

Having a brief look through the stats I could find, basically all Kiwis coaches have suffered at the hands of the Aussies. Conclusion: Aussie has produced bloody good players for decades.
The only really shit coach from the modern era has been Kemble, and I'd prefer to erase his tenure from my memory forever.

It really doesn't make a great deal of difference who takes the reigns next IMO - it'll always be an uphill battle vs our trans-Tasman neighbours.

I thank Steve Kearney for his contribution to the Kiwis but he hasn't invigorated or inspired this team since they won the World Cup and 4 Nations, he's sat on those results and theres been no improvement to the team since. I get the impression the players were just going through the motions at the World Cup, they seemed disinterested and some of their performances were a reflection of Kearney and Cleary's personalities their both dour and boring and that's how our team played in the World Cup final, dour and boring.

Reactions: mt.wellington
Looks like Kearney is the front runner at the moment...

Kearney can reapply (just because technically he can) but surely they wont pick him again right. You'd think the outcome of the review would have been- we could have done things better- hence the search for a new coach. What would be the point in putting him back.

I hope NZRL hasnt just put an ad up and waiting for replies...I hope they're actively contacting people, encouraging them, enticing them to put their hand up. You'd think, the belamys, the maguires, the haslers wouldnt be jumping at the opportunity and will probably need some convincing to take up the challenge

kiwi's 13-6

kearney's record against Australia is about the same as other kiwi coaches who have had some success over the aussies like lowe, endacott, mclennan. One think i think needs to be kept in mind is that he had twice as many games against the aussie as i think both lowe and mclennan only had 8 games each against Australia both for a 2 win record where as with Kearney he had 15 games against aussies for his 2 win 1 draw 12 loss record.

kearney hasnt coached a side to beat australia since 2010 now 4 years ago, i give him props for timing his 2 wins over Australia in finals but i think hes been fading since 2011.... time for a change but only if a better candidate can be found... kearneys still young as a coach and may develop in future years who know it's not unheard of to coach the kiwi's twice i think the guy before graham lowes reign was on his second stint as kiwi coach cant remember as anything before mid 1980's before my time

Reactions: Defence and Sup42
I am surprised this doesn't happen more often I can only think of Bennett with QLD, Gould with NSW and Fulton with Manly.

There was an interview on Radio Sport around the time Daniel Anderson left the Warriors; and the idea was floated about coaches having a break and returning fresh. The thought then was the assistant taking over to give the players a fresh voice and some new ideas before the head coach returns. I wouldn't be to opposed to a coach returning to a club or rep gig depending on the circumstances of why they left and what they have done in the meantime. Coaching is a tough gig and a lot of guys get thrown on the scrap heap to quickly.

In coaching terms Kearney is still quite young. A few more years coaching in the NRL system and maybe another head coaching gig a return could work. When he took on the job he had only been in the Storm structure, although successful you probably want to be exposed to a lot more systems so you can develop your own and adapt. An assistant probably can't do that as well as opposed to someone who has had a few years as a head coach and refreshed their squad a few times.

I know people would favour a New Zealander but we would need to get more Kiwi's in the coaching ranks first before restricting us like that.

Reactions: mrblonde