General The History or Rugby League

Jr Warlord_old

That was a wind up, its only been truely racist in South Africa (its just been classist elsewhere.)

The worst part of it all was that NZ supported the racism in South Africa by contimuing to play them at sports and even taking teams of whites-only to the republic (disgusting.)
rugby union is not racist in south africa it was government policies that was the problem.

LordGnome_old

rugby union is not racist in south africa it was government policies that was the problem.

So why do they wear the Springbok and not the protea?

Its because the Springbok was a symble that non-whites were not fit to wear the shirt - do some research, I am telling the truth.

Jr Warlord_old

So why do they wear the Springbok and not the protea?

Its because the Springbok was a symble that non-whites were not fit to wear the shirt - do some research, I am telling the truth.
you won't understand mate. its like someone telling the nz maori's they can't perform a haka before league or rugby internationals. the springboks is the simple of rugby in sa and its got nothing to do with politics or racist. is soccer, basketball, baseball racists as well?

Jesbass_old

Not directly, but indirectly. He's guilty of rubbishing league via the implication of Union's superiority over League, which is the clear undertone of quite a few of his posts. I understand that you're giving this guy the benefit of the doubt, but your strengths (impartiality), is also your weakness. I don't believe he has any respect for league, and simply come along to argue about Union being the rock n roll.

I just waded through another thread where Jr Warlord, Lord Gnome, and HeavenlyDivine went toe to toe. A lot of rooster crowing, but not much else.

Sometimes I wonder why I do it to myself, lol.

I don't consider myself impartial. (I don't consider anyone to be impartial, incidentally - we all have our biases.) Perhaps I'm just patient.

Northern_Union

Even i'm sitting back eating the pop corn on this one. I would suggest that Jr Warlord remembers that this is a pro league website and there are plenty of pro union web sites around that he can share his views with like minded people.

LordGnome_old

you won't understand mate. its like someone telling the nz maori's they can't perform a haka before league or rugby internationals. the springboks is the simple of rugby in sa and its got nothing to do with politics or racist. is soccer, basketball, baseball racists as well?

Mate, do some research. Look up why the other african nations boycotted olympic games because of NZs inclusion back in the 70s.

I am bored with having to teach you everything.

HD_old

That's like saying people who participated in trading slaves and owning slaves were not racist or unethical. It was the government policies to blame!

Ryan_old

I don't consider myself impartial. (I don't consider anyone to be impartial, incidentally - we all have our biases.) Perhaps I'm just patient.
Mmm. I realised, after posting, that it probably wasn't really the right word for what I was trying to describe. My apologies. What I meant was you cut people a LOT of slack, and, in my opinion, too much sometimes. You've already described yourself as being the ultimate optimist, which I find a bit troubling because there's no balance in that.

LordGnome_old

That's like saying people who participated in trading slaves and owning slaves were not racist or unethical. It was the government policies to blame!

Its worse than that - the South African rugby union was refusing to let non-white players play rugby union in South Africa, or come to South Africa as part of a tour by teams such as NZ, decades BEFORE the apartite laws were passed.

And NZ were complicit FOR DECADES before and after the laws of segragation were passed.

Jesbass_old

Even i'm sitting back eating the pop corn on this one. I would suggest that Jr Warlord remembers that this is a pro league website and there are plenty of pro union web sites around that he can share his views with like minded people.

Yes, your self control has been quite impressive! NU, the voice of reason?!? :D

Jesbass_old

Mmm. I realised, after posting, that it probably wasn't really the right word for what I was trying to describe. My apologies. What I meant was you cut people a LOT of slack, and, in my opinion, too much sometimes. You've already described yourself as being the ultimate optimist, which I find a bit troubling because there's no balance in that.

Lol...I cut people a lot less slack than I think you give me credit for. I just give people the opportunity to establish themselves before jumping to conclusions. I'm the sort of guy who isn't quick to form an opinion.

Also, I said "eternal optimist", not "ultimate optimist", and the two have very different end points. I'm also a realist. I try to judge equally with the head and the heart in situations like the Sonny Fai tragedy and the Pike River Mine situation, hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. My optimism doesn't extend to relationships, which by their very nature, I can have some influence over.

Ryan_old

Yes, your self control has been quite impressive! NU, the voice of reason?!? :D
I assumed it was because he doesn't need to get involved. Jr Warlord has wandered into the wrong neighbourhood and picked a fight.

Ryan_old

I just give people the opportunity to establish themselves before jumping to conclusions. I'm the sort of guy who isn't quick to form an opinion.
And the fact that Jr Warlord has come along last night, gone through picking fights in exclusively Union threads, and absolutely nothing else, has not told you everything you need to know about his intentions?

Jesbass_old

And the fact that Jr Warlord has come along last night, gone through picking fights in exclusively Union threads, and absolutely nothing else, has not told you everything you need to know about his intentions?

Feel free to question my judgment, but I've already stated that I said what I said before I read his scrap with Lord Gnome and HeavenlyDivine.

One could argue that I was right not to jump to conclusions and assume him to be a die hard leaguie who also happened to enjoy union.

Ryan_old

Feel free to question my judgment, but I've already stated that I said what I said before I read his scrap with Lord Gnome and HeavenlyDivine.

One could argue that I was right not to jump to conclusions and assume him to be a die hard leaguie who also happened to enjoy union.

Right. Well, that's my bad for assuming you were up-to-date with the latest comings and goings on the forum. I was shocked that you appeared to want to buck the trend by being welcoming to Jr Warlord, when it seems fairly clear cut that he is here only to make waves. Shitty, onshore waves. He may claim otherwise, but "actions speak louder than words", or in this case "post contents speak louder than any other claims to legitimacy".

Northern_Union

Can anyone remember what thread LG and NU had the politics argument in?

Theres been three that i can recall. One at the time of the last election. Another thread started by Dave about Parihaka that turned interesting when LG and me got into it. And there is another about religion that i started about the huge sums of money the catholic church has....though i think LG and myself were on the same wave lenght.

Jesbass_old

Right. Well, that's my bad for assuming you were up-to-date with the latest comings and goings on the forum. I was shocked that you appeared to want to buck the trend by being welcoming to Jr Warlord, when it seems fairly clear cut that he is here only to make waves. Shitty, onshore waves. He may claim otherwise, but "actions speak louder than words", or in this case "post contents speak louder than any other claims to legitimacy".

Oh, I still think he should be welcome. Even the voice of the dissenter should be allowed on the soap box. But cordiality shan't be expected for those who don't provide it.

Jr Warlord_old

Mate, do some research. Look up why the other african nations boycotted olympic games because of NZs inclusion back in the 70s.

I am bored with having to teach you everything.
i don't need to, i know about it. like i said before it was sa policies that maori and polynesians weren't allow to tour. in the end the all blacks took bryan williams and others so thats slap into the face of apartheid. then in the end the nzru told sa they had to choose some black players and they did again a slap in the government and apartheid. apararently the greatest south african rugby player ever the late daniel craven is seen a anti apartheid hero and refuse to listern to the government because the springboks wanted to play international rugby and end the racist policies that denied them that apportunity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Northern_Union

i don't need to, i know about it. like i said before it was sa policies that maori and polynesians weren't allow to tour. in the end the all blacks took bryan williams and others so thats slap into the face of apartheid. then in the end the nzru told sa they had to choose some black players and they did again a slap in the government and apartheid. apararently the greatest south african rugby player ever the late daniel craven is seen a anti apartheid hero and refuse to listern to the government because the springboks wanted to play international rugby and end the racist policies that denied them that apportunity.

Not entirely factual. Bryan Williams had to be declared as a honorary white to be allowed into the country and to play rugby. If anything it is a slap in the face that the NZRU took players like Williams on tour knowing that the SA government had had to make them honorary whites. If the NZRU had any sort of honor about it it would told the SA government and SARU to jump in the lake for insisting that all All Black players meet there racial purity levels.
Also, i would have thought that as a union fan you'd have said that Danie Gerber was the greatest ever South African union player.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings