General The future.

Spence_old

I was just thinking, looking towards the future, we're looking pretty good squad wise. I know injuries, form, etc... many things can happen. But just assuming players continue how they've started:

1. Locke
2. Fisiiahi
3. Inu
4. Ropati
5. Vatuvei
6. Maloney
7. Johnson
8. Packer
9. Friend
10. Rapira
11. Mateo
12. Mannering
13. Taylor

14. Mara
15. Matulino
16. Poching
17. Brown

Now I'm not trying to highlight this team in particular, just throwing players in willy nilly. What I'm trying to say is that (apart from Friend), the oldest player in there is what, 25? That's a pretty solid team for the next 5 years.

Once again, I'm not saying those players should be there, I didn't overly think out which players to put in, I was just throwing out the usual suspects.

So what is everyone's view on the future? I reckon it's looking pretty solid. I am 97% sure that Johnson or Godinet will step up to halfback. The only concern is the right centre/wing pairing. Inu is the only real option I see for the centre spot at the moment, which would bring Fisiiahi onto the wing, which is still a bit of an unknown. But apart from that, we've got some good young props (with Lillyman possibly sticking around for a while too), a very good back row (I didn't even have Ta'ai in that team! Crazy), we are well served at fullback with both Locke and Fisiiahi looking like they'd kick on to bigger things. I won't say the halves will be amazing yet, I'll wait until Johnson plays, but I am quietly confident.

So what's everyone's views? I'd be interested to have a "Sceptics Corners" reunion, throw some negatives in there.

Fazz_old

I think in 2012 we'll see something similar to the team, Tai'ai will be in there over Poching or Mara though imo.

Spence_old

What about recruitment? An experienced (not declining...) prop would be helpful I think. Perhaps a star centre. Other than that I'm happy where we are.

RRG_old

Inu is the only real option I see for the centre spot at the moment,

I wouldn't mind Mannering to continue to play in the centres. I think he is far far better in the centres then in the 2nd row. He turns into a tackle bot when playing 2nd row, it tends to tire him and he has nothing left on attack.

I think his best form of the last 18 months has been the last 6 weeks and I don't think it is coincidence that he has been at centre

Fazz_old

Yeah, only quality though. If it's some random nuffy then no thanks, I'd rather we blood somebody. A centre would probably be more important then a prop imo. We're doing ok in the forwards and have a lot of Vulcans who could step up, but we're really short on Centres.

I'm pretty sure Esi Tonga is off contract and with Idris/Champion the centre pairing for next year and Gordon/Mead the wingers, I don't think they'll re-sign him. Could be worth a look?

Spence_old

I don't know re: Mannering. I don't think he has the ball playing skills to be a fulltime centre. On occasion I find he could set up his winger more than he does. He also got completely shown up on defence by Matai/Foran. He's a solid stop gap, for sure, but thinking ahead for the next 5 years or so, I don't think he is our best option.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fazz_old

Yeah, some of the balls he's thrown after making breaks have been shockers that have bombed tries. I think he'll be fine for the rest of the year, but beyond that doubtful.

Lego_Man_old

Does Toilet Duck get signalled with a searchlight, like Batman?

That would imply that Toiletduck is a superhuman pessimist, and that i am either Robin, or a random Jabroni.

I'd prefer to use an X-Men analogy - he is the Cyclops, and i am the Professor X of Warrior pessimism.

ToiletDuck_old

Does Toilet Duck get signalled with a searchlight, like Batman?

Haha I just woke up and heard a voice telling me to check this thread. He is Professor X.

Yeah I'll get on to 'why we won't win a premiership inside the next 5 years' right now.

PB_old

That would imply that Toiletduck is a superhuman pessimist, and that i am either Robin, or a random Jabroni.

I'd prefer to use an X-Men analogy - he is the Cyclops, and i am the Professor X of Warrior pessimism.

And here I was pegging you as a Commissioner Gordon type. Always doing the hard yards in the fight against optimism.

a.c.e_old

Did someone in here mention Batman???

Batman_I_Came_In_Your_Mask_Robin.jpg

one-eyed-warrior_old

Here's the ultimate negative view point, those players won't get a chance to develop as according to the mayan there will be no world after 2012 lol

a.c.e_old

I had snot come flying out both my nostrils when I saw that the first time. I all so cursed the guy the posted it. haha.

RRG_old

Yeah, some of the balls he's thrown after making breaks have been shockers that have bombed tries

Very true although I think this is a part of the game that can easily be developed. The more time he plays there the better decisions he will make.

I am also not too concerned that he got shown up a couple of times at centre on defence because overall he has been good on defence and most centres will have the odd game when they get shown up because it is such a hard position to defend in.

Overall my point is not really how great a centre mannering is but how much better he is at centre then second row. I think it is a given that cleary is going to pick both him and luck in the medium term and if this is the case I def want mannering in the centres, given the other talent we have in the back row.

Fazz_old

Did someone in here mention Batman???

Batman_I_Came_In_Your_Mask_Robin.jpg

Bahahaha gold.

I agree with the point of keeping Mannering in the centres because of our overflowing 2nd rower stocks though, he's playing much better in the centres and our second row looks a lot more dynamic. Maybe keep him in the centres until Luck moves on? Then the balance would be about the same.