Gameday Penrith vs Warriors - Finals Week 1 (Game Day)

Who will win?

• Warriors 13+

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Warriors 12-

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • Warriors JANFIN Special by 6

Votes: 31 29.5%
  • Penrith 12-

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • Penrith 13+

Votes: 35 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eye of the tiger baby. I'll post more cliches as they come to mind
No Metcalf so won't tell him to use the force, but...

Not 100% certain but it's possible that he's never had to do it. He's always played with a dominant kicker.
I've seen him win a game for Penrith as a rookie by way of under pressure field goal. This is their profession so I'm all in on his ability and temperament for the occasion

If SJ's Calf injury wasn't good, why would he travel with the team?
A number of reasons.

Firstly if I'm Webster I would be hoping the club would realize how important the game is and keep the injury inhouse. Obviously the speed of it going from club employee to friend to posting in a forum to alerting media played out very fast. Not surprised Webster looked annoyed when he landed. Secondly he is a very influential player, leader and has a good footy brain on him. I would want him there helping out the half's and the team.

Pre-gaming by trying to channel all the vibes from the 2008 semi that I can.

Can we do it? Of course we can, but it’s a big mountain to climb.

Let’s go boys!

0D4827FC-A708-438F-8ABB-9B3229B2CBCA.jpeg

Warriors class of '02 to face off from coaching boxes​

Corey Rosser

It's been a season in which the current group of Warriors have gone close to matching some of their long-standing records, and come Saturday the club's class of 2002 will be well represented in the coaching ranks as well.

While Ivan Cleary – the goalkicking ace fullback from that side – aims to get Penrith through to the preliminary finals for the fourth year in a row at BlueBet Stadium, club great Stacey Jones and former prop Justin Morgan, who were also part of that side 21 years ago, will be plotting the biggest upset of Finals Week One in their roles as assistants to Andrew Webster.

With the Warriors achieving seven wins in a row, as well as a regular season with more than 15 wins, for the first time since that side did so in 2002, the Kiwi outfit have naturally drawn comparisons to that group in the latter stages of this season.

Ahead of facing Cleary in the qualifying final, Morgan told NRL.com the same characteristics that made him a great teammate have led to him becoming a two-time premiership winning mentor.

"What you see in Ivan as a coach was also the type of player he was, for sure. He was always very measured, cool under pressure, but at the same time fiercely competitive," Morgan said.

"I loved playing with Ivan and he always had the attributes to be a really good coach – a great communicator with a really good understanding of the game.

1694223221156.png

It serves as a reminder of how influential many of those Warriors players from the turn of the century have remained, both at the club and across the wider game.

In addition to the Cleary, Jones and Morgan, former utility Motu Tony is now the general manager of football and high performance at the New Zealand Rugby League, while winger Justin Murphy has had a long career coaching in France.

Monty Betham, Kevin Campion and Awen Guttenbeil are all ambassadors for the club, while Ali Lauitiiti, Jerry Seuseu and Clinton Toopi work in wellbeing roles at the NZRL, Warriors and NRL respectively.

For Morgan, who will depart the Warriors at the end of this year to take up a role as an assistant to Todd Payten at the Cowboys, it's made his second stint in New Zealand all the more enjoyable.

"It’s great having those guys still around and I really do appreciate it, but it's not until you sit down and remember the times you had together that it hits home," Morgan said.

"Time really flies and it's hard to believe that was 21 years ago.

"For Stace [Jones] and I, we have made some new memories over the past four or five years and we have been through a lot together.

"I basically lived with Stacey while we were in Australia and we went through the COVID pandemic.

"It's going to be great to be back involved in the finals. It's been quite some time for me... it's this time of the year that you love being involved."

Warriors class of '02 to face off from coaching boxes​

Corey Rosser

It's been a season in which the current group of Warriors have gone close to matching some of their long-standing records, and come Saturday the club's class of 2002 will be well represented in the coaching ranks as well.

While Ivan Cleary – the goalkicking ace fullback from that side – aims to get Penrith through to the preliminary finals for the fourth year in a row at BlueBet Stadium, club great Stacey Jones and former prop Justin Morgan, who were also part of that side 21 years ago, will be plotting the biggest upset of Finals Week One in their roles as assistants to Andrew Webster.

With the Warriors achieving seven wins in a row, as well as a regular season with more than 15 wins, for the first time since that side did so in 2002, the Kiwi outfit have naturally drawn comparisons to that group in the latter stages of this season.

Ahead of facing Cleary in the qualifying final, Morgan told NRL.com the same characteristics that made him a great teammate have led to him becoming a two-time premiership winning mentor.

"What you see in Ivan as a coach was also the type of player he was, for sure. He was always very measured, cool under pressure, but at the same time fiercely competitive," Morgan said.

"I loved playing with Ivan and he always had the attributes to be a really good coach – a great communicator with a really good understanding of the game.

View attachment 494
It serves as a reminder of how influential many of those Warriors players from the turn of the century have remained, both at the club and across the wider game.

In addition to the Cleary, Jones and Morgan, former utility Motu Tony is now the general manager of football and high performance at the New Zealand Rugby League, while winger Justin Murphy has had a long career coaching in France.

Monty Betham, Kevin Campion and Awen Guttenbeil are all ambassadors for the club, while Ali Lauitiiti, Jerry Seuseu and Clinton Toopi work in wellbeing roles at the NZRL, Warriors and NRL respectively.

For Morgan, who will depart the Warriors at the end of this year to take up a role as an assistant to Todd Payten at the Cowboys, it's made his second stint in New Zealand all the more enjoyable.

"It’s great having those guys still around and I really do appreciate it, but it's not until you sit down and remember the times you had together that it hits home," Morgan said.

"Time really flies and it's hard to believe that was 21 years ago.

"For Stace [Jones] and I, we have made some new memories over the past four or five years and we have been through a lot together.

"I basically lived with Stacey while we were in Australia and we went through the COVID pandemic.

"It's going to be great to be back involved in the finals. It's been quite some time for me... it's this time of the year that you love being involved."

Fuck Ivan it is game day (tongue in cheek)

Haven't read the whole thread.
I think we'll get touched up. My biggest concern is who controls the team and our kicking game? SJ has dominated both duties, he owns close to 90% of all our kick meters this season. We don't really have any tactical kickers in the line up. RV would have been good to have purely for his boot, given him a really simple role.
Will be good to test our defence and see how our middles go against arguably the best.
Hopefully proven wrong! Up the Wahs!

Haven't read the whole thread.
I think we'll get touched up. My biggest concern is who controls the team and our kicking game? SJ has dominated both duties, he owns close to 90% of all our kick meters this season. We don't really have any tactical kickers in the line up. RV would have been good to have purely for his boot, given him a really simple role.
Will be good to test our defence and see how our middles go against arguably the best.
Hopefully proven wrong! Up the Wahs!
Good points bro. Basically this team has ticked all the boxes for pre season kpi's. So to be here and in with a shot makes it a great opportunity to go for it. Arguably or not Penrith are the premiers back to back for many good reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back