General The future of Mt Smart??

https://m.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10792802
On another hand, what sort of numbers could be expected if the warriors were to make a move to Albany especially if the stadium there was to get a roof?

I think moving as far away as possible from their core supporters would be a huge mistake. I for one wouldn't be making the one and a half hour return trip or blowing hundreds on a taxi so I could drink at the game very often. Eden Park's the only location left central enough to consistently attract greater crowds than Mt Smart.

Reactions: a.c.e

Danpatmac

As an Eden Park local resident I would find it distasteful to have the Warriors crowd in my neighborhood every second week.
I would have to drink significantly more champagne to dull the pain.

But we could have canapés and schnapps before the game?

Reactions: Shaneo
Every time I see that beautiful indoor stadium down south on tv,my heart aches just a little.
I love the location of Eden park,the facilities & being able to have a beer & a meal then walk in before kick off, but I absolutely despise the layout of the stadium. I wanna be sitting on the touch line not 30 metres back.

Reactions: Shaneo
Every time I see that beautiful indoor stadium down south on tv,my heart aches just a little.
I love the location of Eden park,the facilities & being able to have a beer & a meal then walk in before kick off, but I absolutely despise the layout of the stadium. I wanna be sitting on the touch line not 30 metres back.
Couldn't agree with you more my bro.

Lego_Man

Illuminatus
I think moving as far away as possible from their core supporters would be a huge mistake. I for one wouldn't be making the one and a half hour return trip or blowing hundreds on a taxi so I could drink at the game very often. Eden Park's the only location left central enough to consistently attract greater crowds than Mt Smart.

Only way Albany is feasible is if they put a rail link under the harbour. There is a big market for league on the north shore though.

Reactions: David James

Lego_Man

Illuminatus
That's not going to happen before 2030.

Yeah. It'd be nice to have an "all the way through" rail link, especially if they move the port to Whangarei like they should.

Anyway i cant believe how much Auckland has managed to cock up their stadium situation. Basically every decision made in the last 20 years has been the wrong one.

Buck777

I enjoy them all. Have to say that Eden park has been the easier of the grounds to park at, and enjoy the kingsland scene afterwards. I find nth harbour stadium sterile, but it's the one I could see with the best potential to have a cover added to. If you were investing $ you'd have to say say Mt Smart comes in third. Re the crowd, didn't I see a post that had stats saying more of the league crowd at a typical warriors game comes from West Auckland/ North Shore/ Rodney than South Auckland?

Could we possibly play a game that we know we would win at Eden Park just to get rid of the curse? I think its a mental thing, if we could play a team their we were confident of beating, beat them, then i think people will be more accepting of the place, basically lets just get rid of the curse the easiest way possible and then see what happens after that.

Reactions: Sirpartyman
Could we possibly play a game that we know we would win at Eden Park just to get rid of the curse? I think its a mental thing, if we could play a team their we were confident of beating, beat them, then i think people will be more accepting of the place, basically lets just get rid of the curse the easiest way possible and then see what happens after that.
Original idea.

Good to read your stuff brother Faisal.

In practice no such team exists....NRL being what it is. Without being disrespectful to other clubs , if you look at the known under performers this year its already too late to put the Eels in that category (opening round last year ) , as for the Titans , its a cliche....any team can win on their day ( Manly defeat ).

If it is about some psychological hang up and we get beaten by some so called ' easy beats ' its probably more damaging than a good hard game where we get done by a top four side.

Hoodoo's are interesting. Here's a pre game build up from Broncos HQ last week.

Quote : " someone got that WWLLWWLL record handy ? pretty sure its our turn to lose ? "

by the way the next poster added : Since 2004 WW LL WW LL WW LL WW ( turns out it was their turn to lose )

Reactions: Brother Faisal
Original idea.

Good to read your stuff brother Faisal.

In practice no such team exists....NRL being what it is. Without being disrespectful to other clubs , if you look at the known under performers this year its already too late to put the Eels in that category (opening round last year ) , as for the Titans , its a cliche....any team can win on their day ( Manly defeat ).

If it is about some psychological hang up and we get beaten by some so called ' easy beats ' its probably more damaging than a good hard game where we get done by a top four side.

Hoodoo's are interesting. Here's a pre game build up from Broncos HQ last week.

Quote : " someone got that WWLLWWLL record handy ? pretty sure its our turn to lose ? "

by the way the next poster added : Since 2004 WW LL WW LL WW LL WW ( turns out it was their turn to lose )

Yeah good point sup. You are right, i was gonna mention a team we could beat in my post, i wanted to say the eels but i remembered that game last year too.

Yeah good point sup. You are right, i was gonna mention a team we could beat in my post, i wanted to say the eels but i remembered that game last year too.
Maybe a game against those two clubs we seem to fire up against Bronco's / Storm ? still works on the principle of your idea ( teams we have a chance of beating )

Re the crowd, didn't I see a post that had stats saying more of the league crowd at a typical warriors game comes from West Auckland/ North Shore/ Rodney than South Auckland?

The club themselves have stated this at members forums in the past. Dan has said the myth that the membership base is predominantly from South Auckland is just that, a myth.

I like the idea of the Mt Smart/Eden Park combo; it means that Mt Smart can be upgraded a little bit without needing a full-on makeover. Eden Park is a pig of a venue as far as being too far away from the play, but I'd say Auckland's population wouldn't be able to support two 40,000 plus stadia for a while. Would be great to see all that extra seating in Eden Park to get a crowd of 60,000 for a home semi.

Albany would be OK, but that needs a hell of a lot of investment to increase seating itself, so I don't see any benefit to pumping money into Albany instead of Mt Smart. Location-wise, I don't really have too much sympathy for Auckland fans complaining they'd have to travel all the way across the bridge; many of us already travel 2 hours each way for any home games we go to.

That's interesting.

The Warriors have openly stated - or at least heavily implied - that their preference for home game date/time allocation is Sunday 2-3PM.

And of course relying on what this stupid whiteboy - me - assumed was true about your average Warriors crowd (largely Polynesian, working class, insert your cliche here) and so further assumed:
A: Sundays are preferable because because most of the "walk-up" crowd come from South Auckland.
B: Sundays are preferable because most of said "walk-up" crowd from South Auckland have been to church.
C: What better day to watch them razzle dazzle huge forward pack Warriors.

I suppose I should have taken a hint when it was commented - I think on NZWO - that a large contingent of the crowd at Eden Park for the Four Nations Double Header (and what became the Impromptu Drunks Bottle Throwing Competition) were from West Auckland. But me stupid. Didn't even consider the fact that there's no competing sport on Sundays - well, did but didn't think that would be the driving factor behind the club's preference.