General The Bunker

Bunker rating 1=Failure 10=Success

Results are only viewable after voting.

Inruin

Contributor
There was a clanger in the Chiefs / Blues game last night. I think the only person who though it was a try was the TMO. What that shows is the bunker has been an expensive waste of money, they should go back to the previous shambles.
So the NRL bunker is a waste of money because the TMO got a decision wrong in the super rugby?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Yes, because the super rugby version is much cheaper for the same level of competence.

Who did the price check? Do they have one of those scanners like at the Warehouse. If it's done from the same point for all games, straight away there are no airfares or multiple video refs to pay. The only difference I can see cost wise is a couple more tv screens and less gumbys.

Who did the price check? Do they have one of those scanners like at the Warehouse. If it's done from the same point for all games, straight away there are no airfares or multiple video refs to pay. The only difference I can see cost wise is a couple more tv screens and less gumbys.
You forgot to factor in the three feet of reinforced concrete and the 12 inch thick steel doors... Not to mention the 4 weeks of survival rations and internal air recycler system...

That stuff isn't cheap...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
So the NRL bunker is a waste of money because the TMO got a decision wrong in the super rugby?
Maybe you guys are onto something. All that expensive equipment and they have the cameras pointed at the wrong sport.

I know if adds to the broadcast but how we are seeing the bunker during games is different to how I understood it when it was first announced. I thought after the play had occurred and the ref is signalling the Bunker would have already reviewed the play once. Then we'd see the normal replays and they would do their thing and we'd see a decision. Instead of us seeing 3 or 4 camera shots and hearing them say "Well hey look at camera 4 on the bottom whats going on there".

These refs need to wake the fuck up.

The NRL is a business, and they way they are adjudicating the game is killing the clubs... Look at the 13 clubs under water financially ATM. This is because of the rules of the game and the way it's being refereed IMO...

If the refs call Kata's kick return as in the field of play the Manly fans aren't going to be all that pissed off. But calling it back to be grounded in goal sure fucks us Warriors fans right off.

So the refs chose the maximum hatred call when there was no good reason to antagonize anyone in that situation...

That is all.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
These refs need to wake the fuck up.

The NRL is a business, and they way they are adjudicating the game is killing the clubs... Look at the 13 clubs under water financially ATM. This is because of the rules of the game and the way it's being refereed IMO...

If the refs call Kata's kick return as in the field of play the Manly fans aren't going to be all that pissed off. But calling it back to be grounded in goal sure fucks us Warriors fans right off.

So the refs chose the maximum hatred call when there was no good reason to antagonize anyone in that situation...

That is all.
Disagree totally. The ref has to play what they see, not think about the financials. Thats the last thing we need.

However a call needs to be made, when can the bunker chime in? No more interpretation of rules. If the ref has rulled can the bunker over rule them or not?

Reactions: 1 user

bruce

Contributor
Disagree totally. The ref has to play what they see, not think about the financials. Thats the last thing we need.

However a call needs to be made, when can the bunker chime in? No more interpretation of rules. If the ref has rulled can the bunker over rule them or not?
I agree with Phil Gould, it is a shambles.

Not if there hasn't been a break in play, otherwise get the refs off the field and control the whole game from the bunker, or go the NFL path, 50 refs chucking flags everywhere after every play.

I've tried to see the positives in the Bunker with my posts in this thread. But all my thinking was about ruling on try scoring opportunities. Not ruling on a return from the in goal 100 metres up field.

One of the selling points was the Bunker could go back quickly and review something. For any break in play it gets back to the situation we had a few years ago where the video ref would interfere and disrupt the game.

The Kata in-goal ruling. If you are going to interfere in those situations you have to get it right. They gave Manly a full set of 6 inside our 20 due to an incorrect ruling. That is a critical call.

The bringing the ball back into play from the in goal has been one of the areas the refs have been pretty good at ruling on. The Bunker interfering there was confusing as I initially thought it was an issue with Hoffman's run but that would have been a penalty not a drop out.

I did think that Kata hit the line with the ball before his momentum carried him out into the field of play
And so did Jamie Lyon a few minutes later in the manly in goal before he got up and ran it out. Bunker was no where to be heard then!

They need to stay the fuck out of on field stuff unless asked by the ref (ie tries or foul play)

Reactions: 5 users

gREVUS

Contributor
And so did Jamie Lyon a few minutes later in the manly in goal before he got up and ran it out. Bunker was no where to be heard then!

They need to stay the fuck out of on field stuff unless asked by the ref (ie tries or foul play)

Again i agree, but i want to add to that i want to see the end of the refs being coached about the teams they are about to ref. Luke got done tonight for a nothing penalty for over aggressive tackling. The very next set manly make an identical tackle with no call made. He was penalised because of the cannonball tackle he made and got away with 2 weeks ago.

All i want is refs to play what is in front of them, not what they expect to see or want to see. Stop interpreting shit. And on review i have concluded that the onfield ref has the final say as the bunker can not interfere with a try once given by the onfield ref. SO SHUT THE FUCK UP until asked. If play has gone on, and its not a safety issue SHUT THE FUCK UP.

P.S. How do 3 paid employees with all that technology fail so badly that their boss comes out and says they got it wrong, when everyone else without any technology or a massive pay check can see it on first glance. I'll tell you why, because they are interpreting shit, or to put it another way they are MAKING SHIT UP! Just play the rules of the fucken game.

Reactions: 2 users

gREVUS

Contributor
Watching the Cowboys game, again another nothing tackle - nope not according to the bunker, put him on report for a crusher - WTF! There was NO crusher, and the cowboys got the free interchange, as he may have a head injury (HOW?). The cowboys are now the best professional team in the comp. But how did these idiots get hired for there role in the bunker?

Watching the Cowboys game, again another nothing tackle - nope not according to the bunker, put him on report for a crusher - WTF! There was NO crusher, and the cowboys got the free interchange, as he may have a head injury (HOW?). The cowboys are now the best professional team in the comp. But how did these idiots get hired for there role in the bunker?

Being able to take your teeth out can take you a long way in life.

• Haha

On that play Kata made getting out of the in goal, the video footage was inconclusive. It's impossible to say for certain whether Kata grounded the ball on the line or in the field of play. So the video refs gave a 50/50 call to the team that didn't deserve it. Kata made the good play to get out of the in goal. The 50/50 call should go to him.

Giving the inconclusive calls against the ball carrier, who has done pretty well to get to a point where there is nothing more than some inconclusive evidence against him, is always going to cause more hatred than love for the sport...

That's my opinion anyways..

Reactions: 4 users
No other code I can think of fixates on referees as much as league, why?

It's all to do with quality, we only have a few good refs in the entire NRL and now we have this bunker.

No point in having the latest technology if your employing low IQ monkeys to drive it.

There's no global governing body driving excellence in refereeing for league like there is in Rugby Union and Cricket etc.

What we are left with are Australians of basic intelligence as the crucial decision makers in a billion dollar industry.

All the bunker technology highlights is the ineptitude of our referees and decision makers, until they begin to recede into the background every round will be a lottery with those teams least affected by the officials decisions the likely winners.

How many awesome tries have been disallowed over the years based on inconclusive evidence?

Benefit of the doubt to the attacking player please..

Hoffman questions Bunker intervention.
upload_2016-4-10_7-4-53.jpeg

WARRIORS skipper Ryan Hoffman was frustrated with the officials after his side’s 34-18 home loss to Manly.

Solomone Kata was ruled to have been tackled in the in goal despite clearly making it back to the field of play in a crucial second half decision.

Hoffman was clearly exasperated with the decision and voiced his opinion to officials on the field as to whether the Bunker had overrulled the on field referees as appeared to be the case.

“I asked him who made the call and they said they all made it,” Hoffman said post match.

“I find that hard that five people can get that decision wrong.”

The goal line drop out resulted in a try to the Sea Eagles that effectively put them out of reach.

Warriors coach Andrew McFadden was equally unhappy with the decision and more importantly how it was reached.

“It was a big call, a big call,” McFadden said clearly watching his words.

“I thought he got it wrong but I’ve got to live with that.”

https://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/hoffman-questions-bunker-intervention/