General The 8

The 22 BEAST_old

Hung race for house of NRL finals' reps

By Ben Horne AAP

Just like the battle for Australian government, the NRL has a hung top-eight race, where the house of finals representatives won't be known for another complicated two weeks of counting.

Barring a miracle, the last two top-eight spots will be filled by a combination of the Warriors, Brisbane and Canberra.

The crucial Broncos and Raiders electorates are currently locked on 26 competition points each, and appear destined to play-off in round 26 for a final top-eight seat.

The Broncos currently cling to eighth spot, because of a points differential of plus seven - while the Raiders are hoping their differential of minus 40 won't come back to bite them.

This week, if the Raiders lose to lowly North Queensland in Canberra and the Broncos beat the Warriors at Mt Smart Stadium, the green machine would need to notch up a cricket score in the final round against the Queenslanders to edge them out for eighth spot.

A win this week over the Warriors would obviously be nice for the Broncos, however with the Raiders heavily favoured to take care of the Cowboys, it's most likely their season will come down to the final-round Friday-night showdown against Canberra at Suncorp Stadium.

The victors will take a top-eight spot and the losers will bow out.

The Warriors, at the moment on 28 points, need only win one of their last two fixtures to be assured.

South Sydney, Newcastle and Parramatta, currently on 24 competition points, appear to be fighting a losing battle.

But they can swing things if they win their final two matches and have other results go their way, which would ensure the top-eight cut-off is no higher than 28 competition points.

Souths and Parramatta face off this Friday, meaning one will be immediately eliminated from the race.

The Rabbitohs have a solid for and against but to be any hope Parramatta and the Knights must record big wins over the next two weeks to arrest their negative points differentials.

The guide for who Rabbitohs, Knights and Eels fans should cheer for over the coming weeks is highly complex but here is a basic formula.

In round 25, the Warriors need to lose to Brisbane and Canberra must lose to the Cowboys.

Then it would be preferable if the Raiders beat the Broncos and the Warriors lost to Parramatta in round 26.

If results went that way, the Warriors, Brisbane and Canberra would all be locked on 28 points meaning back-to-back victories could see the Knights and the winner out of the Eels and Bunnies possibly sneak in on points differential.

Souths, Parramatta and Newcastle will have no chance if Canberra or Brisbane were to win both of their remaining matches and the Warriors were to win just one more game.

Manly are all but over the line with their strong points differential, however they want one more win just to make sure.

If the Roosters lose to Gold Coast on Monday night, they will also need another two points just to be safe - and they play the Sea Eagles in a potentially definitive match this Sunday.

From NRL.com

Thats how you make the Top8

dingleberry_old

as warriors supporters... this is what we want to happen

first and foremost... for the warriors to win the next two

then, for the panthers to lose the next two

and for the roosters and sea eagles to lose their last games in the final against nth queensland and the bulldogs. although if the roosters win their next two then as long as we make up 16 points on them for F/A then we can edge them out.

annnddd... that should get us a home semi, haha.

The 22 BEAST_old

as warriors supporters... this is what we want to happen

first and foremost... for the warriors to win the next two

then, for the panthers to lose the next two

and for the roosters and sea eagles to lose their last games in the final against nth queensland and the bulldogs. although if the roosters win their next two then as long as we make up 16 points on them for F/A then we can edge them out.

annnddd... that should get us a home semi, haha.

That would do me

BringBackRovelli_old

I wouldn't back the Tigers to win either of their last two. Vs Storm and vs Titans.
We could very realistically finish 5th and play the semi in Penrith.

gREVUS_old

A friend went to the storm re sharks game, rekoned the storm are all way out of shape and when watching them live that any team they do beat should be ver embaressed. Based on his opinion, i dont expect the tigers to have any problems with the storm, unfortuantly

mrblonde_old

I don't care if it helps or hurts the Warriors chances.

I want every team to beat the Storm.

Simple.

Roosters might do us a favour over the next fortnight, though. They look to be falling

Northern_Union

I don't care if it helps or hurts the Warriors chances.

I want every team to beat the Storm.

Simple.

Roosters might do us a favour over the next fortnight, though. They look to be falling

You hate the Storm that much?

Spence_old

I quite like the Storm, they score some good tries. True, they do play a bit dirty at times, but as long as it's not against my team that doesn't worry me too much. I think my second favourite team this year has been the Roosters, I know that's poor of my being a Warriors supporter and all, but they have played some awesome football this year.

EATASS_old

If the Storm hadn't finished first in 2008 we probably would have been knocked out week 1 by whoever finished first instead.

dingleberry_old

ok, so with the good points differiential, we now have more chances at the 4. ideally, we want a sea eagles loss, as their f/a is quite good and they could eclipse us with 2 wins. if not, then we need to make up 17 points on them with the points differential.
but now, we have a shot if penrith, tigers and titans lose their next two.
this could happen, tigers could lose to storm and then titans the following week, and provided manly still lose at least one game, we'll make the 4

insulinboi_old

What we need is the roosters to beat the sea eagles by no more than 15 points. Then we will end the round in 5th. Then we need 1 of the panthers, titans or tigers to lose both games.

Then we are in the top 4 :)

gREVUS_old

I'm pushing for a commet to fly down from the heavens and interupt play in the 55th minute, negating the game and they award all the points to the warriors, just because their the most awsome team ever

Spence_old

I'm pushing for a commet to fly down from the heavens and interupt play in the 55th minute, negating the game and they award all the points to the warriors, just because their the most awsome team ever

Yeah, that works for me.

playdaball_old

Perhaps we should forget Top 4 and look at who we'd play if we finished at 5 or 6?

Bloody hard to tell with only full round remaining.

gREVUS_old

my Best Guess is if 5th then well play the titans, if 6th well play the Tigers

I think the top 8 will be
Drags
Pant
Tigers
Titans
Warriors
Roosters
Rabits
Broncos