14.jones
15.rapira
16.poching
17.matulino

Iafeta_old

1 Kevin Locke
2 Bill Tupou/Thomas Ah Van dependent on whose fit, if neither then Solomona
3 Jerome Ropati
4 Joel Moon - though his defence needs a shake up. The Broncos try they scored early in the second half down his side was dreadful defensive positioning by himself and McKinnon. If you freeze the footage, Kemp, Moon and McKinnon at one point are all standing directly square behind one another, like a marching band, and of course there's a massive gap on the inside that's exploited. McKinnon is most to blame for it, but Moon read it horribly too.
5 Manu Vatuvei
6 Lance Hohaia
7 Stacey Jones - realistically there's not much else out there, it's not the right time for Johnson, although round 1 2010 definitely is
8 Sam Rapira - give him more minutes
9 Ian Henderson - give him more minutes, he was very constructive for the first 20 and our width and creativity dropped off when he went off
10 Russell Packer
11 Simon Mannering
12 Lewis Brown
13 Michael Luck (captain - sadly)

Interchange

Aaron Heremaia
Jesse Royal
Ukuma Tai'i
Daniel O'Regan

I've put Matulino to the 20s because he'd destroy it back there and regain his confidence. Playing in a team where you get no real opportunities to go one on one is no good for a bloke like him.

Kid-Dynamite_old

I don't see what Heremia offers to be brutally honest.

You say give Henderson more minutes Iaftea, I say give him the full 80 and chuck Packer on the bench

Cheops_old

Locke - This kid just makes things happen.
Mckinnon - Has played on the wing a fair bit before.
Ropati
Moon
Vatuvei
Hohaia
Jones
Packer
Henderson
Rapira
Mannering
Brown
Luck

Fien - oh wait..........stick with Heremaia I guess, but he's really not a hooker
Royal
Ta'ai/Tuimavave
Matulino - Ivan this is a backrower, not a prop

It's sad that we have to rely on a 20 year old rookie to create points for us, but it's true. Hohaia and Locke could be devestating working together around the ruck.

Will Vatuvei be fit btw? If not, Kemp I spose, but his confidence is shot and I don't really know that he wants to be here. And if he's not fit, I dunno, maybe one of the 20's. Haven't seen much of them lately, so I dunno who really deserves it. Ivan would probably stick with P. Ah Van anyway.

daj3_old

1) Locke
2) Locke
3) Brown
4) Brown
5) Locke
6) Locke
7) Locke
8) Price
9) Brown
10) Price
11) Brown
12) Brown
13) Brown

14) Locke
15) Price
16) Brown
17) Price

Haha... nah but seriously:

1) McKinnon
2) Vatuvei
3) Moon
4) Likiliki/Bristow
5) Locke
6) Hohaia
7) Jones/Heremaia
8) Price
9) Henderson
10) Rapira
11) Mannering
12) Brown
13) Luck

14) Mara
15) Matulino
16) Packer/Royal
17) Tai'ai/u20s 2nd rower.

I wouldn't change the starting lineup, except something needs to be done about the defense on Stacey's side. He's trying his heart out, how many times was he hanging off the likes of Taylor, with noone else helping him out. I put Brown on his side, and got rid of Ropati.

The bench needs a change big time. The momentum shifted SO much (for the worse) when Heremaia, Lillyman and Royal came on. Mara would be a far better impact player than Heremaia, although I'm open to Heremaia being shifted to 7 and Stacey dropping out. That could be a bad move organizationally though. Lillyman can get right out of here... Royal did some good stuff defensively, and I don't think he had too much to do with it. I can't see him keeping Packer in the u20's for too long though. Ta'ai's in there cos I think we need to give him another shot, but I'd be happy with Royal and Packer both on the bench. Oh, and play Matulino in the 2nd row, not prop!

Viking_old

I don't see what Heremia offers to be brutally honest.

You say give Henderson more minutes Iaftea, I say give him the full 80 and chuck Packer on the bench

Heremaia is there as a backup halfback or standoff, an insurance policy of sorts. One of these games, Jones is bound to injured off the park, especially with props targeting him all game. He's already got a nagging groin injury.
There's no way Henderson can go 80 at the intensity he plays at. There needs to be an interchange hooker regardless of who it is, Brown maybe .

DanKokoro_old

1 Kevin Locke
2 Bill Tupou/Thomas Ah Van dependent on whose fit, if neither then Solomona
3 Jerome Ropati
4 Joel Moon - though his defence needs a shake up. The Broncos try they scored early in the second half down his side was dreadful defensive positioning by himself and McKinnon. If you freeze the footage, Kemp, Moon and McKinnon at one point are all standing directly square behind one another, like a marching band, and of course there's a massive gap on the inside that's exploited. McKinnon is most to blame for it, but Moon read it horribly too.
5 Manu Vatuvei
6 Lance Hohaia
7 Stacey Jones - realistically there's not much else out there, it's not the right time for Johnson, although round 1 2010 definitely is
8 Sam Rapira - give him more minutes
9 Ian Henderson - give him more minutes, he was very constructive for the first 20 and our width and creativity dropped off when he went off
10 Russell Packer
11 Simon Mannering
12 Lewis Brown
13 Michael Luck (captain - sadly)

Interchange

Aaron Heremaia
Jesse Royal
Ukuma Tai'i
Daniel O'Regan

I've put Matulino to the 20s because he'd destroy it back there and regain his confidence. Playing in a team where you get no real opportunities to go one on one is no good for a bloke like him.

weeeeellity wellity wellity

Kid-Dynamite_old

Heremaia is there as a backup halfback or standoff, an insurance policy of sorts. One of these games, Jones is bound to injured off the park, especially with props targeting him all game. He's already got a nagging groin injury.
There's no way Henderson can go 80 at the intensity he plays at. There needs to be an interchange hooker regardless of who it is, Brown maybe .

Well say Jones gets injured, we have Moon, Ropati even Locke who could cover 6, with Locke and Hohaia potentially covering 7 and players like Mannering and Brown able to cover centres, and in Brown's case hooker.

Or in the Henderson not playing 80mins case (even though I think he could do it easy: Farah, Cameron Smith, De Gois they all do it) Hohaia can go to 9 with Moon coming into 6 and Mannering shifting out a bit wider.

I just think the team as a whole would get more out of a Packer or even Ta'ai on the bench instead of Heremia.

insulinboi_old

1.mckinnon
2.locke
3.Likiliki
4.ropati
5.vatuvei
6.moon
7.hohaia
8.rapira
9.henderson
10.packer
11.mannering
12.brown
13.luck

14.jones
15.matulino
16.royal
17.tai'i

Viking_old

Well say Jones gets injured, we have Moon, Ropati even Locke who could cover 6, with Locke and Hohaia potentially covering 7 and players like Mannering and Brown able to cover centres, and in Brown's case hooker.

Or in the Henderson not playing 80mins case (even though I think he could do it easy: Farah, Cameron Smith, De Gois they all do it) Hohaia can go to 9 with Moon coming into 6 and Mannering shifting out a bit wider.

I just think the team as a whole would get more out of a Packer or even Ta'ai on the bench instead of Heremia.

What has Heremaia done so badly that you don't like except dropping the offload on Friday night? He sets his runners up well and always looks at the options whereas Henderson always has one option in mind only. Heremaia's been playing in the halves for quite a long time, the others you've mentioned aren't proven halves by any stretch of the imagination. I could live with Locke having a crack at it though, he'll end up there eventually I think.

Hohaia is a waste at 6 in my opinion, I think he feels the pressure to pass or create something instead of taking the line on which is what he's best at. By the time he gets the ball, the opposition is already aware of him and his cuts at the line. At hooker they don't get as much of a chance to respond to his acceleration.

The three hookers you've listed are more in the playmaking role, Henderson is more the ball running sort of hooker. To run 80 mins his game would need to change.

Brown was brought here as a hooker as well, he's quite small for a second row forward, about 5'10 and in the mid nineties weight wise. I don't see him being fast enough for centre and there's a fair bit of skill and timing that good centres have that can't be taught overnight.

I agree that Ta'ai or Packer should be in the team but are you suggesting a 4 forward bench?

Last edited by a moderator:

garyhobson_old

Russel Packer should have been in the team for the last few weeks. I don't know why we go into a match carrying just 3 props. We need to take in 4 props, 2 starting, 2 on the bench. Jesse Royal doesnt do a good enough job at prop off the bench. Jacob Lillyman can't cover prop, hes useless. He should be dropped from the 17 all together, and if the powers to be had half a brain they would release him alltogether. Why do we always let the good ones go? But we keep the bad ones.

Ive read that the Warriors are considering releasing Denan Kemp to the Bulldogs. Are the Warriors seriously that dumb? Okay Denan Kemp has not had a good season, but i could also say that about the majority of the Warriors team this year. There just so much expectation on Kemp because he scored 19 tries last season and he cant produce that kind of form this year. People say its because he was playing at the end of a good backline, that is correct, but some of the tries he scored last season was individual brilliance with nothing on, like the try V Storm in the semi final, and the soccer skills try. We need Denan Kemp for 2010, hes been signed for 09/10, so keep him. Manu Vatuvei is injury prone, we need a decent winger for cover, and hes more than decent. Who knows Manu might get a season ending injury early in 2010, its possible from what ive read about his serious injury, and how hes always in constant pain.

Keep Kemp, get rid of Lillyman. If we are talking about releasing players before their time Lillyman has to be on top of the list.

Last edited by a moderator:

DanKokoro_old

Ive read that the Warriors are considering releasing Denan Kemp to the Bulldogs. Are the Warriors seriously that dumb? Okay Denan Kemp has not had a good season, but i could also say that about the majority of the Warriors team this year. There just so much expectation on Kemp because he scored 19 tries last season and he cant produce that kind of form this year. People say its because he was playing at the end of a good backline, that is correct, but some of the tries he scored last season was individual brilliance with nothing on, like the try V Storm in the semi final, and the soccer skills try. We need Denan Kemp for 2010, hes been signed for 09/10, so keep him. Manu Vatuvei is injury prone, we need a decent winger for cover, and hes more than decent. Who knows Manu might get a season ending injury early in 2010, its possible from what ive read about his serious injury, and how hes always in constant pain.

Keep Kemp, get rid of Lillyman. If we are talking about releasing players before their time Lillyman has to be on top of the list.

You are right about Kemp dude.. I couldn't believe Kemp was the first player(after Fien) to be dropped from a under-performing side. A winger that made no errors, is defensively sound (made 2 or 3 try saving tackles), has speed to burn, and who's only mistake was to join a sh*t club that has crap halves that are unable to orchestrate plays that put their outside backs in to space.

Phil Gould was talking on the Footy show today about the warriors and he was saying that one of the reasons we're struggling so much is that our team is slow. I know it's not a big revelation, alot of people on this forum have been saying that and we know it's true.. but it's the thing I don't understand most about the whole Kemp situation. In a team that is SORELY lacking in pace, who does Ivan drop? the fastest player in the team.. How does that make sense?

I know he has his critics, some people don't like him and personally I don't understand it. I think half of the reason was his goal kicking.. He missed a few crucial kicks that probably cost us a game or two and people were missing the near automatic 2 extra points we were getting with Michael Witt. I think even his critics though would agree that at the very least, he has genuine pace and he's been unutilised.

If I had my way Locke would go to FB and Kemp would be on the wing.
1. Locke
2.Kemp
5.Vatuvei

I think that looks so much more threatening.

MiXmasterreece_old

01 Locke
02 Kemp
03 Ropati (likiliki if injured)
04 Moon
05 Vatuvei
06 Hohaia
07 Jones
08 Rapira
09 Henderson
10 Packer
11 Mannering
12 Brown
13 Luck

14 Mara
15 Poching
16 Matulino
17 Ta'ai

MiXmasterreece_old

Will be interesting to see if they name packer. Apparently they aren't impressed with his discipline at the moment - he's put on weight and has lost fitness over the past month.

kingdamo_old

Surely they will name Packer if Pricey isn't going to be playing? Even if he is unfit he is sure a hell of a lot better than any other option they could name.

garyhobson_old

You are right about Kemp dude.. I couldn't believe Kemp was the first player(after Fien) to be dropped from a under-performing side. A winger that made no errors, is defensively sound (made 2 or 3 try saving tackles), has speed to burn, and who's only mistake was to join a sh*t club that has crap halves that are unable to orchestrate plays that put their outside backs in to space.

Phil Gould was talking on the Footy show today about the warriors and he was saying that one of the reasons we're struggling so much is that our team is slow. I know it's not a big revelation, alot of people on this forum have been saying that and we know it's true.. but it's the thing I don't understand most about the whole Kemp situation. In a team that is SORELY lacking in pace, who does Ivan drop? the fastest player in the team.. How does that make sense?

I know he has his critics, some people don't like him and personally I don't understand it. I think half of the reason was his goal kicking.. He missed a few crucial kicks that probably cost us a game or two and people were missing the near automatic 2 extra points we were getting with Michael Witt. I think even his critics though would agree that at the very least, he has genuine pace and he's been unutilised.

If I had my way Locke would go to FB and Kemp would be on the wing.
1. Locke
2.Kemp
5.Vatuvei

I think that looks so much more threatening.

That's a lethal back 3 there, it might not have the extreme power to bring the ball back deep down on our own try line, but a lot of speed.

I also heard what Phil Gould said aswell inregards to the Warriors lacking speed. I 100% agree with him. Next season once Kevin Locke eventually moves to fullback, Manu and Denan on the wings, Tate back in the centres, Shaun Johnson at five eight, we look a lot more dangerous, more speed, and more tries, that will be the go.

Denan Kemp is just a victim of his own circumstances. He had a very good season with the Broncoes last season, top the try scoring count. Came to the Warriors with so much expectation, that he would be able to produce that kind of form again at the Warriors. Had the balls to put his hand up to take over the goal kicking responsibilities, pretty much the only one in the starting 13 at the time with some sort of aptitute to do it. He hasnt had a good season even by his own standards but nor has our other winger Manu he hasnt either matched his try tally of 2008, and like Denan butched a few tries aswell this season. Anyway we keep Kemp for next season because hes contracted till the end of 2010, he doesnt have to worry about the goal kicking because Kevin Locke will be there, and if Kevin's not there well atleast we have someone to fill in whos done a bit before. Getting rid of Kemp before the end of his time will just be dumb again by the Warriors, we have a history of getting rid of good players and retaining and signing bad ones.

commonsense_old

im not trying to attack anyone but i was just wondering,
which halfbacks or 5/8ths have made the successful jump from toyota cup to nrl?

garyhobson_old

im not trying to attack anyone but i was just wondering,
which halfbacks or 5/8ths have made the successful jump from toyota cup to nrl?

Daniel Mortimer so far, even though hes only played a few games, he really looks like a good footballer. He'll play out the year for the Eels at five eight, and will be first choice again next season.

Wade Graham looks like hes got the five eight position at the Panthers now. Hes played well this year after a slow start to the season.

Tim Moltzen, has been playing fullback for the Tigers, but played in the halves nyc, played halfback last weekend for the Tigers. Hes been good in a beaten team.

Kerron Foran, played 1 game, did pretty well. Can't say at this stage hes made the successful jump just after 1 game. But his defence was great, and scored a good try in the corner with his in and away.

Toyota cup has only been around for a season and a half, i expect more to come through in the next few years.