NRL NRL Round 4, 2024 Discussion

What a rigged sport this is …. Karnts just don’t want us to win

How are the draws decided ?? Thought it was a lottery? Guess not
In terms of Days/Times: Certain amount of "Giving the teams what suits them" hence very few (no?) Thursday Cowboys home game, not many top-level NSW teams lumped with Home Friday 6PM Aussie times, Warriors Sundays...And all based on last year performances - so teams are lumped with Days/Times based on history (so a team going well this year and having a home game in "The Dead Zone" ie 3pm Australia Time/5pm New Zealand time Saturday could be partly based on "well, they sucked last year, so who's gonna watch?" logic...
In terms of Opposition: Some formula I've never understood. Teams are lumped into 4 groups, play every other team in that group twice...

On the Origin period and the Warriors picking up wins. I think that is a fallacy left over from the Cleary/Elliot eras. There was an article while Cleary was coach investigating why we start so slow and build during the year. Some of it was due to having a lot of international players and guys coming back later for the pre-season. A lot of the fitness and other details are built during the season.

I can partly understand that. There would probably be more to it but that was one of the reasons Cleary and Price gave.

The Origin period the journalists eventually picked up on and would say it was unfair etc. You could argue the balance of the competition is messed up if all of the stars are within certain teams. We were so poor during those years any disadvantage was negated anyway.

While we have an odd number we will likely have more bye during that period. Across the entire competition as a whole, not just the Warriors.

On the Cowboys draw to start the season. It is funny how some teams would play that opposition and would be talked up as premiers while others it would be we need to see them against teams x, y and z.

Even last year when we coming to the later rounds some of the criticism was the quality of the opposition. Yes having strong opposition to build for the finals but you have to play the lower sides at some point. Typically each year the quality of a lot of the sides would change anyway.

The competition is typically 25-27 rounds at some point there will be a run of tough games or short turn arounds and a period of easier games.

Couple of potential blow out games tonight. Or will they be closer than anticipated?

Sea Eagles should get past the Dragons fairly comfortably.
Titans and Dolphins should be closer but on last week's Titans "performance", I'm backing the Dolphins. Haven't really bothered to work out how many teams lose after a bye rather than win (I suspect it's in the 40W/60L to 60L/40W percentage range so not a huge difference either way), so have no idea how it's going to affect the Dolphins this week.

It does look a wee bit harder this year though.

We have byes during 2 of the origin rounds so we don't get any advantage of playing teams minus their origin players. I think Origin 2 though, we play Storm without their stars so that will be helpful.

Then we have Cowboys, Raiders and Titans who will have their stars backing up after origin, whereas I would have been hopeful that we were beating those teams regardless of origin players or not.
We still get the 2 points for the byes so its all good.

Appreciate this isn't NRL talk but:

Watching the Dragons/Sea Eagles NSW game. 38-10 to the Dragons, Christian Tuipulotu 4 Tries for the Dragons.

This is the kind of standard we need to build to: Where perfectly good players don't get picked for the NRL for whatever reason, get sent to NSW Cup and their lower lip isn't dragging, they go out to seek and destroy....Depth doesn't always mean "we don't pick players who don't deserve to be in the NRL", sometimes it means "We have to make a tricky call here between 2 players who deserve to be in the NRL."

Look away Dragons fans, this is gonna hurt.

Manly will fk them up.

Good size crowd and nice weather

Hopefully dragos can make it worth our time watching

Manly look in the mood though

Look away Dragons fans, this is gonna hurt.

Manly will fk them up.
What do I know, NRL is not about the on paper keyboard coaches, Drag Queens are up for this.

Hope they win, bring Manly back into the muddle. Come on you useless Dragon fookers.

Manly hit hard on defence. Once they hold the ball it will be a slaughter

Back