General Taumata and Marshall

• Thread starter commonsense_old
  • Start date

commonsense_old

Serial NRL bad boy Arana Taumata could get another chance with Wests

July 07, 2009 .Wests Tigers are poised to resurrect the career of serial bad boy Arana Taumata, who was just two weeks ago sentenced to community service for his role in a brawl.

The sacked Melbourne Storm player has held talks with Tigers coach Tim Sheens and is expected to sign with the club next week.

The former Roosters and Bulldogs playmaker was chased by a number of clubs but the chance to partner Benji Marshall proved the clincher for Taumata.

Taumata, who has been sacked from four NRL clubs for off-field dramas, will spend the rest of the year playing for Brisbane Easts in the Queensland Cup before linking with the Tigers next season.

The Storm axed Taumata in February this year after the Wellington product was charged with assault.

He was sentenced to three months community service in a Melbourne Court last month.

From all reports, Taumata has worked hard to get his act together and will prove a handy acquisition for the Tigers if he continues on the straight and narrow.

"He has undertaken intensive counselling which has been provided by the NRL," said Taumata's manager Sam Ayoub.

"If ever I have seen a kid who is looking to make up for what has happened in the past it is AJ.

"I see a big future for him."

Font size:Increase font sizeDecrease font sizeSend this article:print this articleEmail this article

commonsense_old

if anyone has choice words to say about taumata they are probably correct. but ive seen this kid play and man oh man what talent. i think we have failed to see the amazing impact benji marshall has had on league (esp kiwi league). all the up and coming kiwi halves seem to come out of the benji mould eg roberts, taumata, johnson.

i think it's a great move for taumata to link up with the tigers. play under sheens and marshall. tigers could be holding the kiwi halves combinations for the next few years.

and with roberts playing so well, it would be great to finally have competition in the halves position. speaking of roberts, i hear he has been in contact with taumata every week trying to mentor him and get him off the alcohol.

garyhobson_old

Yeah he is a real talent. I can't wait to see these two guys together form a combination. I think it will be the first time since ive been watching league that there is a nz halves combination in an australian nrl club. This will be exciting, i hope it works out, i think it will be lethal if they can get time to establish a combination. I was thinking about it the other day actually that it would be perfect if Arana could move to the Tigers and Benji could help him out, the other club that would have been good for him besides the Tigers could have been the Eels. But im hoping that this works out for Arana and he can stay out of trouble, it will be a real bonus for Kiwi supporters with good depth coming through in the key halves positions - Benji Marshall, Arana Taumata, Ben Roberts, Liam Foran, Kieran Foran - if he wants to play for NZ not NSW/Aust, Shaun Johnson.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe 90_old

Dont know if they'd work as a combo actually, as they both play similar games. Benji plays waaay better when he has the classic organiser type to partner him. As far as defence goes, boy, the opposition would have a field day with both of them on the park.

motu1_old

Dont know if they'd work as a combo actually, as they both play similar games. Benji plays waaay better when he has the classic organiser type to partner him. As far as defence goes, boy, the opposition would have a field day with both of them on the park.

taumata's pretty solid

garyhobson_old

Arana is capable of playing the traditional organising halfback role.