mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
Moved from the preseason thread. Great time to start a thread. Been doing some digging and he's already had some interest over the years and the Warriors are lucky to land him. Thanks covid...

Great-grandson adds to Canterbury league legend Pat Smith’s legacy

3 December 2020
Promising Halswell league player Tanner Stowers-Smith has signed a development contract with the...

Promising Halswell league player Tanner Stowers-Smith has signed a development contract with the Canterbury Bulldogs NRL team. Photo: Supplied

Kiwis and Canterbury league legend Pat Smith’s legacy has extended to another generation with his great-grandson signing a deal with the Canterbury Bulldogs.

Tanner Stowers-Smith, a promising back rower with the Halswell Hornets, has secured an initial two-year deal with the Sydney NRL club, though Covid-19 means the 16-year-old is unsure when he will be able to check out the headquarters at Belmore.

Stowers-Smith actually impressed during a pre-season trial at Parramatta in January, but one of the Eels rivals pounced due to a connection between Halswell stalwart Jeff Whittaker and the Bulldogs pathways and development officer Craig Wilson.

Whittaker and Wilson forged a bond when the latter held a similar role at Cronulla – the Sharks previously had a decade-long association with Halswell to identify talented juniors in Christchurch.

Brisbane Broncos wing Jamayne Isaako, a cousin of Stowers-Smith, followed a similar pathway as did retired former Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney Roosters and West Tigers hooker Matt McIlwrick.

A year 12 student at St Bede’s College, Stowers-Smith was humbled by the opportunity.
“I thought Covid had messed it up so it’s great,” he said, adding he hoped to get across to Sydney in January for a training camp.

Pat Smith. Photo: Supplied

Pat Smith. Photo: Supplied

Until then he is staying sharp playing sevens rugby for St Bede’s, who head to the national Condor 7s tournament in Auckland next week.

Stowers-Smith said he was well aware of the standards set by Pat Smith, who captained the Kiwis in each of his 38 appearances between 1947-49.

“Dad and grandad always talk about him and I’ve seen quite a few articles about him,” he said.

Stowers-Smith couldn’t nominate a player he modelled himself on, though he was a long-term Canberra Raiders fan - he was drawn to the lime green strip - until a merchandise package arrived from the Bulldogs.

Whittaker was not surprised Stowers-Smith caught the eye, and predicted a bright future for the teenager.

“He’s a great trainer and he’s a scholar at school. He’s ticking all the boxes that a NRL club wants to see in a young player coming through,” he said.

“There’s some pretty exciting things there for him really. He’ll finish school and then they’ll help him either through education or a job as well as accommodation (in Sydney).”

Reactions: Cces
Bangbros 2023

Bangbros 2023

Just been looking at some players in the sg ball team, this guy looks promising but how big is he? Is he a tower?

Noitall

Noitall

Just been looking at some players in the sg ball team, this guy looks promising but how big is he? Is he a tower?
Not a tall guy but stocky, massive thighs. The team looks better when he’s on the field, I think a majority of the dragons try’s yesterday came when he was off the field. Physical player that looks intimidating, Harry Durbin and Ben Peni are good prospects too.

Bangbros 2023

Bangbros 2023

Not a tall guy but stocky, massive thighs. The team looks better when he’s on the field, I think a majority of the dragons try’s yesterday came when he was off the field. Physical player that looks intimidating, Harry Durbin and Ben Peni are good prospects too.
Maybe a potential lock for the future?

Reactions: The Falcon
Noitall

Noitall

Maybe a potential lock for the future?
Can’t say I know much at all about any of these guys and not sure of his ball playing abilities but to think he’ll grow more and will add more conditioning and muscle, a JFH type prop is where I think he may end up playing. Others that know more about him may know if lock is where he’s suited.

TheMorningEmu

TheMorningEmu

Funnily enough, I saw TSS and another young guy at the gym in Panmure last night. Can attest that he is not super tall, probably like 5'11" or 6' but he is a big boy, good to see 'em putting in extras too

Side note: Thank god I didn't wear my 2023 Warriors singlet to the gym, I would have looked a right f*ckwit since both he and the guy he was with were both fully kitted out hahaha

Five&Last

Five&Last

But before all that, he let in a soft try by missing a basic one on one tackle 10 metres out

I actually think Leka Halasima is a better prospect in the same position when you consider that he’s a full year younger than TSS.

TSS does seem to have great leadership qualities though, by the way he’s constantly talking to his team while on the field.

Reactions: Noitall