General Superleague Is Underrated

Sup42

Sup42

Better defensive structures/effort result in fewer line breaks in the NRL.

My main concern with the NRL is its shift towards athleticism in favour of footballers. I think it's a result of the 10 metre rule.

If you check out some old footage of Aussie league before the 10 metre rule, there's fewer tries, but a lot more footy being played. More risks being taken. Plenty of chip and chase attempts even from your own end, great attacking shapes and structures, set plays off scrums, brilliant fast decision making, offloads, accurate passing.

Today with the 10 metre rule you can put an attacking kick on the end of most sets, if you have a few big, strong, hard running forwards.
That's pretty much it.

Ten meter versus five meter game was the Biggest Change. There were Bigger Props however in the Five Meter days , they tended to carry more body fat ( George rose is an Oddity now , Martin Bella was the norm then ).

People who could stay on their feet and push the other team back were more important than quick meter grabs and quick play the balls.

The over structured style of Origin footy has had the biggest influence , the Aussies have created an artificial top of the tree in place of strengthening international footy and having a more diverse end product.

It's like an Australian version of the selfish Gene.....It ensures it's own continuation through it's benevolent sharing of it's type with others.

Reactions: 1 users
Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

Over here I am starting to hear concern that there are too many surrender tackles because the penalties for hand on the ball are more prevalent there. Tough one as it is meant to be contest of one trying to tackle and one trying to beat it. Isn't there a rule banning voluntary tackles?. People want the third man tackle banned, as too many players are getting injured as well. For me it is too much ref's opinion of how long a player can be held down. For me the dominant tackler only has rights in this regard and in a lot of cases the 2nd and subsequent tacklers are obstructive, particularly if they can't get the ball carrier on his back. In general the top sides get away with murder in this regard. The simple thing is for the refs to get people off the tackled player quicker, but also to be aware that tackled players hold people down too. As far as stripped ball goes in multiple tackles and play the balls the benefit of doubt to go with the ball carrier. Too much guessing going on here.

Reactions: 1 user
AttilaTheGorilla

AttilaTheGorilla

The significance of ruck speed has also increased a lot because of the 10 metres. It's much easier to catch defenders offside with a quick play-the-ball. In the 5metre era, I doubt teams worried too much about wrestling and slowing down the play-the-ball, it was much easier to get back onside on time.

That's one thing Union has over League nowadays IMO, in Union you gotta earn field position, whereas in league it's given to you.

Reactions: 1 user