General Superleague Club Wakefield Looking For Investment

Ryan_old

Try Melbourne in a heatwave. 40-45d. I've been told stories about weather like that. Supermarkets become loiter zones for all that do not have air-con. Laughs. Ian might a fair idea about it.

Viking_old

It's a Superleague story in a Superleague thread so it's fair game really. I'm more concerned with story itself than who posted it.

I thought Superleague clubs all got a slice of a very nice TV revenues pie, that's the only explanation I could think of for some clubs surviving and even thriving despite really poor attendences at their games. The Crusaders were getting crowds of 1500 at times last year and the Harlequins weren't much better but they still have 5 million NZ to spend on players each year. A couple of the other smaller clubs, Castleford and Salford who usually have crowds between 3000 and 5000, are both building bigger stadiums purposely built for league that seat around 12000 so they must be expecting a big improvement in fortunes and crowds. Salford have brought well with Luke Patten, Paleaáesina, Leo-Latu, Daniel Holdsworth and some notable English players on the books.

I don't mind Jr_W, he has a fairly good knowledge of both codes and played to a decent level in both so has something to offer. I think we've pushed him into a corner on occassion and he's come out swinging for the union cause. I actually thought he was a Stanley and in particular Martin Stanley, until he stated his history with MAGS. I don't know where to I'm supposed to do all this 'homework' he keeps suggesting I should do though. There's no detention room at my job either which was where I used to do all my homework as a kid.

Last edited by a moderator:

PB_old

I don't mind Jr_W, he has a fairly good knowledge of both codes and played to a decent level in both so has something to offer. I think we've pushed him into a corner on occassion and he's come out swinging for the union cause.

True. He reacts to union-bashers like we (or some of us) react to league bashers.

It's only fair in some ways, and we'll all get used to each other I'm sure. A bit like in league, I'm considering this the softening up period.

Swanley_old

It's a Superleague story in a Superleague thread so it's fair game really. I'm more concerned with story itself than who posted it.

I thought Superleague clubs all got a slice of a very nice TV revenues pie, that's the only explanation I could think of for some clubs surviving and even thriving despite really poor attendences at their games. The Crusaders were getting crowds of 1500 at times last year and the Harlequins weren't much better but they still have 5 million NZ to spend on players each year. A couple of the other smaller clubs, Castleford and Salford who usually have crowds between 3000 and 5000, are both building bigger stadiums purposely built for league that seat around 12000 so they must be expecting a big improvement in fortunes and crowds. Salford have brought well with Luke Patten, Paleaáesina, Leo-Latu, Daniel Holdsworth and some notable English players on the books.

I don't mind Jr_W, he has a fairly good knowledge of both codes and played to a decent level in both so has something to offer. I think we've pushed him into a corner on occassion and he's come out swinging for the union cause. I actually thought he was a Stanley and in particular Martin Stanley, until he stated his history with MAGS. I don't know where to I'm supposed to do all this 'homework' he keeps suggesting I should do though. There's no detention room at my job either which was where I used to do all my homework as a kid.

I do not think the slice is that big. At a guess I would say that Sky does not pay much money for it. It is a minority sport over here.

playdaball_old

Areas such as Wakefield and Castleford are essentially 'suburbs' of Leeds or small villages on the outskirts of Leeds. In this day and age they'll continue to struggle despite their solid history.

Jr Warlord_old

Sounds like you have a pretty sweet work life.
its all good nu but theres nothing like home and my older kids are at high school in auckland and i would love to be able to go and watch them play on saturdays. i've just started a rugby academy that cater for both codes in one of brisbane gps private school (nudgee college) so looks like im stuck here for a while.

Jr Warlord_old

Areas such as Wakefield and Castleford are essentially 'suburbs' of Leeds or small villages on the outskirts of Leeds. In this day and age they'll continue to struggle despite their solid history.
its happening all over the place pdb. union clubs in small towns or city in france and nz are also struggling.

Northern_Union

It isn't just union and league clubs. Cricket is struggling for numbers out side of the main centres and so is softball. All to do with the urban drift in search of work.

Northern_Union

I did a little checking on that figure Viking as it struck me as incorrect. I found the foolowing on the Crusaders website that says they averaged 5,200 for the 2010 season. I think you got 1500 figure from there days in the NL1 when they averaged around the 1500 mark and also from memory got the old poor ESL crowd of 1500 durring there days in the south of Wales at the Brewery ground. From what i have read they are expecting to improve further on that 5,200 for the 2011 season.

https://www.crusadersrfl.com/article.php?id=2333

Crusaders RL are delighted to announce they have smashed their 2009 attendance records with three home games to spare.
2010 Super League attendances for Crusaders already total 48,374, which is 687 more than the total end of season amount for 2009, with three home matches remaining. With bumper crowds expected against St Helens and Hull KR, the club are aiming to break the 60,000 barrier and bring in an extra 12,000 fans compared to last year.
Crusaders have averaged 5,209 fans at the Racecourse this season, a 1,541 improvement on last year's figure of 3,668. And that figure is expected to soar as Crusaders chase a maiden play-off spot when last year's Super League Grand Final runners up St Helens and Hull KR visit the Racecourse Ground.

Viking_old

https://www.superleague.co.uk/resul...days=&c=106&s=2010&id=&submit.x=9&submit.y=14

Here's a link to last years fixtures for the Crusaders from the ESL site. It's a mixed bag with over 10,000 for their first home game against Leeds which was probably inflated by Leeds fans to a low of just 1122 at their home game against the Harlequins on the 6th of August (which is ironically the date of the article that you've posted) and 1450 against the Tigers a few weeks earlier. I would think that their crowd numbers would be largely dependent on the opposition and the ability of the opposition's fans to travel or indeed the size of the opposition's fan base like Salford and London who typically get small home crowds as well.

Not trying to make fun of the smaller ESL clubs at all but it's clear from those numbers that those clubs must rely on the majority of their income coming from other sources instead of gate takings. That's why I expected a good TV deal to be funding them.

Last edited by a moderator:

playdaball_old

How can clubs such as 'Quins continue to survive?

Sad as I spent some time in London when they were the Crusaders and some of my old team and school mates played with them.

The London based team got their biggest crowds when they were initially known as Fulham playing out of Craven Cottage - alignment with Fulham FC. The irony is that now more people are playing RL in London yet the crowds are super small.

HD_old

True. He reacts to union-bashers like we (or some of us) react to league bashers.

It's only fair in some ways, and we'll all get used to each other I'm sure. A bit like in league, I'm considering this the softening up period.

But that's as far as the symetry goes.

Rugby has always traditionally been a totalitarian Plutocracy. It's one thing to argue the merits of a game and defend it. It's an entirely different thing to defend it even when wrong. It's equivelant to a British person defending and trying to justify the barbarism of the British empire, because said Briton supports and likes the country today. Or same Yank ignoring every crime commited by America and talking up the good things about America. You've got to take the bitter with the sweet. There needs to be some humility. Just because something is great or good, doesn't mean there isn't flaws. The biggest flaw of Rugby is its history and the people running the game.

It's bullshit tribalism.

IanS_old

Try Melbourne in a heatwave. 40-45d. I've been told stories about weather like that. Supermarkets become loiter zones for all that do not have air-con. Laughs. Ian might a fair idea about it.

It was horrendous when we first got here. Constant 40's all summer long. It's changed though. A bit more rain this year and much more humidity, but before that, dry and low 30's which is much more bearable.

Today was low 30's, tomorrow 40 is predicted, then 39 on monday. Much like the early days.

Northern_Union

Wildcats Announce New Ownership

Written by: Wakefield Wildcats Media
Feb 12, 2011 7:32am
Spirit of 1873 Ltd is delighted to announce that it has today reached an agreement with O'Hara's, the administrators of Wakefield Trinity Rugby League Football Club Limited, to acquire the Wakefield Trinity Wildcats.

The deal, which is subject to the RFL's final written confirmation that Andrew Glover passes their “fit and proper person” test, will secure the Wildcats' long-term future and give this historic Club a fresh start under Spirit of 1873's ownership. At the core of our plans is securing the financial stability which will allow us to support the team on the field and give our loyal fans the experience and success they deserve. The terms of the agreement will see the Club playing at its long-time Belle Vue home in 2011.

Right now everyone's focus, across the Company and the Club, is on this weekend. Along with all the traveling supporters we will be at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium tomorrow cheering on John Kear and the squad in their 5pm match against Castleford Tigers, as the Super League season kicks-off with the Magic Weekend spectacular.

A number of details still need to be finalised and we have a lot to do to get started, but we will make further announcements shortly to provide you with more information about the Company and the way we are looking to run the Club. However, Spirit of 1873 re-confirms that, as set out in its 1 February press release, under the deal agreed today all existing memberships, season tickets and sponsorship deals will be honoured for the coming season.

We are looking forward to working closely with our Club's famously loyal fans, the wider Wakefield community and all our sponsors and supporters to build a stable, commercially viable and successful future for this great Club.

We urge everyone to join us in backing John, the players, Spirit of 1873's team and, indeed, everyone at the Club to achieve those goals – remember, together we are stronger!