General Super League Wars

Also, cool, talking about super league wars has anybody else seen this from couple weeks back ? It makes you think :

image.jpeg

;)

Any good Doco's out there on this guys? I'm too young for any of that stuff, sounds like a defining time for Rugby League.. Not much is really talked about these days, is there a taboo around it?
Are you a reader?
This is definitely the most in depth look at the War if you can get your hands on it.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/633703.Super_League

Also check out Jarrod McCracken's book 'A Family Betrayal' for a players insight at the time (his story is very interesting as he was one of the Bulldogs who backflipped back to the ARL after the club aligned with Super League..as an aside there's a good story in there about a punch up with Matthew Ridge while in Kiwis camp lol) and ARL chairman at the time Ken Arthursons book 'Arko'.

Outside the establishing of the game, this was THE defining period for rugby league without a doubt.

Last edited:

bruce

Contributor
although it failed miserably I liked the idea of the full world club challenge.
If there was one thing that exposed the true strength of English Rugby League is was the Super League world challenge and it was our own Warriors that showed it up first and best. If I remember correctly we were cellar dwellers down here and got a hiding in Perth on the way over to England. We were drawn to play St Helens who were at the top or close to the top of their ladder.

I can still remember the English commentator saying that the Warriors were the cellar dwellers and St Helens should be beating them, as the Warriors climbed all over them.
Any good Doco's out there on this guys? I'm too young for any of that stuff, sounds like a defining time for Rugby League.. Not much is really talked about these days, is there a taboo around it?
There is especially in Australia. tTose who sided with Super League are viewed as bad a French collaborators with the Nazis.
Plus a boogeyman like fear from a lot of those clubs in regards to expansion that continues to hold the game back.
That is what is was all about in Sydney. Everybody knew Sydney clubs had to be cut but it wasn't going to be their club. Sort of sad how Norths and Souths stayed loyal to the ARL they both got booted, although Souths were allowed back. I thought Norths were treated worse than anybody.

That wanker Murdock picked Wests as a club to go, yet they are still there carrying Balmain along.

Reactions: Johnnyray

bruce

Contributor
I remember hating the fact that there was only 5 basic templates and some teams had the same jersey just with different colours.
Also found it weird having that coloured Superleague logo in place of the Warriors emblem
IMO just an example of what a circle jerk Super League was. All run by Murdoch toadie suits.

Reactions: Johnnyray
It was Cappy's stupid, weird, "gotta have a back on the interchange bench" trick that started it...

Super League should have killed off the World Club....ahem....Challange after that first round in England. Waste of Time, but did make us feel good about ourselves for two periods of three weekends. Good times.

I watched both competitions, ARL definitely had the better GF but Origin felt too weird without the full team available and the Super League version involving the Kiwis felt wrong somehow.

ARL bought in the 40/20 rule, which stayed, Super League bought in the "scoring team gets the kick-off" rule that didn't. It was meant to stop teams getting momentum from constantly being in possession, but IIRC it merely swapped possession for territory so often the momentum did end up moving to one team anyway.

And the video ref came in. Bill Harrigan refused to use it, preferring to use his own judgement and was tapped on the shoulder, advised that Harvey Norman - IIRC The Sequel - had paid a shitload of money for this fancy, schmancy new fangled video ref and they want to say their name out there so screw backing yourself, use the bloody video ref, Bill! Even to see if it's half time!

I jest, but not by much, given how often the video ref sometimes gets used.

• Haha
Reactions: Johnnyray and bruce
A lot of life long friendships damaged during this time. A lot of guys especially in the Sydney league scene probably are still sore about the whole thing.

It was a crazy time. Rugby League was going well and the comp expanded to 20 teams in 1995. The competition only just got started before everything blew up. There were articles about what News Ltd wanted to do and some teams being dissatisfied with how the ARL was doing things; but things died off then April 1st hit and it was all on. Rugby League was all over the news.

Basically Murdoch needed to build his pay TV audience and his company needed rugby league to drive their subscriber base but the ARL had signed with their competitor Optus.

The news headlines and Sunday papers were always full of who was signing where, which club was aligning with which side, crazy sign on fees, what players were spending their sign on fees on.

Union would of went professional eventually but the Super League war would of played a part in speeding that up. They would of had to turn professional to keep Lomu in the game with all of the offers he was getting. You might also read articles occasionally about the "rugby war" as a group tried to turn union professional and steal players before some key All Blacks stayed loyal to the NZRU. This gets brought up occasionally with the amount of money wasted. That wouldn't have been a fraction of what was being thrown around between the News Ltd and the ARL.

I watched both competitions, ARL definitely had the better GF but Origin felt too weird without the full team available and the Super League version involving the Kiwis felt wrong somehow.
That Super League Tri Series had probably one of the first really bad video ref decisions which cost the NZ side a spot in the final. There were a lot of conspiracy theories that they got the NSW vs QLD final there were after.

That was soon forgotten about as the final was pretty epic and went over 100 minutes or something crazy.

The world club challenge was basically a competition to increase your for and against the English sides. The concept of having a competition where the final could be moved around or bid for was interesting. The final was in Auckland not sure where it would have been if Super League continued.

We also got the 9's for the first time, although I don't think it was televised.:(

Reactions: bruce
We also got the 9's for the first time, although I don't think it was televised.:(
Channel 9 did televise the World 9's in Fiji in 96, or at least a highlights package from memory.
It was made up of international teams which NZ won.
That tournament was supposed to be the pre curser to the Aus Superleague season, but the courts banned the comp from starting.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
I remember hating the fact that there was only 5 basic templates and some teams had the same jersey just with different colours.
Also found it weird having that coloured Superleague logo in place of the Warriors emblem
The team logos were all owned by the ARL so thats why you wont see them on the Super League jerseys...

Channel 9 did televise the World 9's in Fiji in 96, or at least a highlights package from memory.
It was made up of international teams which NZ won.
That tournament was supposed to be the pre curser to the Aus Superleague season, but the courts banned the comp from starting.
I didn't have Sky back then but couldn't remember the 9s being televised in NZ. I remember when the court case came out, there were a whole lot of byes in round 1 when teams forfeited. We were lucky we were the away side against the Broncos.

The idea of having a cut down competition with a higher level every week had merit as the 20 team competition spread the talent pool to thin. That is kind of what we got with the rationalization when the NRL was formed. The problem was the easy decisions were made in getting rid of the new out of town clubs where the hard decisions of the number of Sydney sides was left beside the Bears getting screwed over when they attempted to move to Gosford and then merged with Manly.

The Sydney sides had criteria to meet for attendances etc. Then we got inflated crowds where they would count the players, refs and officials into the attendance. It felt like some clubs like Souths felt like they should be in the competition and the criteria should be for everyone else.

We got a scaled back competition with the NRL but the game was screwed with the TV deal signed then and the two sides probably wanting to get the money back from the Super League war. It wasn't to about 2013 with the new deal the game started to recover financially.

The team logos were all owned by the ARL so thats why you wont see them on the Super League Jerseys...
The ARL holding the rights to the likeness of the clubs logos and the intellectual rights for the clubs that caused a lot of the angst among some of the clubs. You had clubs like the Broncos selling a lot of merchandise and getting the same amount as the Gold Coast or the Magpies as that was the way it was split.

There was an article a year or so back how well the Warriors are going now in terms of merchandise sales (thank you by the way;)) and how it is split. Some of it I believe still goes into a pool but the clubs benefit from their own sales a lot more than they were back then.

• Haha
Reactions: mt.wellington

bruce

Contributor
Also, cool, talking about super league wars has anybody else seen this from couple weeks back ? It makes you think :
It does make one think, until they get rid of those dead end Sydney clubs the game will be held back.
That Super League Tri Series had probably one of the first really bad video ref decisions which cost the NZ side a spot in the final. There were a lot of conspiracy theories that they got the NSW vs QLD final there were after.
No conspiracy theory, it was a bloody conspiracy for the ratings. That forward pass call wasn't even line ball.
Also check out Jarrod McCracken's book 'A Family Betrayal' for a players insight at the time (his story is very interesting as he was one of the Bulldogs who backflipped back to the ARL after the club aligned with Super League..as an aside there's a good story in there about a punch up with Matthew Ridge while in Kiwis camp lol) and ARL chairman at the time Ken Arthursons book 'Arko'.
When Mathew Ridge was a teenager he did a runner on a taxi fare, McCracken's aunt was the driver. I think Ridge was charged with something more serious but got off. They were never friends.

No conspiracy theory, it was a bloody conspiracy for the ratings. That forward pass call wasn't even line ball.
Our newspapers over here went on the war path about that and rightly so. There was also a dodgy call for a try off a bomb for either the Warriors or the NZ Tri Series side I can't remember which side affect but our sides got some clangers. That was just the beginning.:oops:

A lot of clubs probably couldn't make an informed decision on what side of the fence would best suit them as one side might have got in first and signed all of their players effectively making their decision for them.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
We were lucky we were the away side against the Broncos.
Warriors actually debated sending a team over to play the Broncos and in the end they sent a team of Fox Memorial players who werent signed to the Super League to face the Broncos as they didnt want to pay the fine...

The ARL holding the rights to the likeness of the clubs logos and the intellectual rights for the clubs that caused a lot of the angst among some of the clubs. You had clubs like the Broncos selling a lot of merchandise and getting the same amount as the Gold Coast or the Magpies as that was the way it was split.
It also angered official suppliers as the ARL could grant anyone a licence and they could make as many as they liked. The Warriors first jersey is a perfect example of that. Lenco was able to produce jerseys a lot quicker than CCC and as such they made the bulk of the money from the new start up...

Reactions: bruce and Johnnyray

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor

That was soon forgotten about as the final was pretty epic and went over 100 minutes or something crazy.

The world club challenge was basically a competition to increase your for and against the English sides. The concept of having a competition where the final could be moved around or bid for was interesting. The final was in Auckland not sure where it would have been if Super League continued.

Wasn't the final set to be played in Brisbane and had we won the game it would have been a NZ vs NSW final played in Brisbane which would have been a disaster

• Haha
Reactions: bruce and Johnnyray
I remember there being an article as the ARL held the names and likeness of the names of teams so Super League in their own style decided to call teams something like:
Penrith Pumas
Canberra Vikings
Cronulla Dolphins
Canterbury Dingos
Brisbane Brumbies (not sure about this one but Super Rugby hadn't started then so Brumbies was probably fair game)