Staff Steve McNamara

diehard

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 27, 2016
Law of averages suggests we get it right soon. Birdie Reeves would certainly be the best value for money to date.
Except that her stats didn't equal wins. Maybe Cappy read her stats wrong. Or he needed glasses.

Reactions: bruce and smc

ukleaguer

Waterboy
Sep 16, 2016
Big follower of the NZ Warriors from the UK (can't support an Oz side!), thought I'd just throw in a British perspective of McNamara.

The most interesting thing about Steve McNamara is that in so many ways his coaching record and reputation has tended to mirror Stephen Kearney, the new coach of the Warriors. As players they appeared to be natural captains and were figureheads of their clubs. They were both articulate and professional with the media and seemed to be positive role models from a relative youngish age and had the complete respect of their team. I would put Kevin Sinfield and Cameron Smith as other examples from more recent times (obviously not related to playing ability!) though I'm sure there are some others I've forgot.

McNamara was heavily rated by Brian Smith as a youngster at Hull FC in the early nineties. Smith then made him captain of the Bradford Bulls at the start of the NH Super League era, which they dominated with St Helens. It was obvious that he was destined for the coaching ranks and everyone with any RL coaching influence seemed to assume his success as a Head Coach would be taken for granted, just like Kearney was prior to Parramatta.

He had served his apprenticeship under some of the better coaches in the UK and took over at Bradford in 2006 after Brian Noble left for Wigan. The Bulls had won the Super League and then the WCC against Wests Tigers and it was generally assumed that nothing would change. Bradford got gradually worse over the four years he was there to the stage they couldn't make the play-offs and it was a bit of a shock that he got made England Coach in 2010. His record at Bradford cast a shadow over him during his time with the England team, where everything he did was questioned and he was indeed often referred to as McBanana on Message Boards. To be fair Bradford had some huge financial issues, where the size of it only came to light in 2012 when they were hit with administration. It is a bit of a debate in the UK whether it is fair to judge him from this time as the foundations of the successful team he inherited had actually been built on sand.

His relative failure with Bradford is similar to Kearney's at Parramatta, in that their record at both clubs could be argued to be a failure of Administration instead of Coaching. People bring up Wayne Bennett at Newcastle and Ricky Stuart at Parramatta all the time and its a fair point, but it's easier to debate issues in the back office when you have had success at club level to compare it with. The jury is still out...

Kearney and McNamara have clearly helped to improve the performance and culture of their National sides but I think Kearney (and to a smaller degree McNamara) will be forever judged by most fans on how the Warriors go in the NRL over the next few years.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Big follower of the NZ Warriors from the UK (can't support an Oz side!), thought I'd just throw in a British perspective of McNamara.

The most interesting thing about Steve McNamara is that in so many ways his coaching record and reputation has tended to mirror Stephen Kearney, the new coach of the Warriors. As players they appeared to be natural captains and were figureheads of their clubs. They were both articulate and professional with the media and seemed to be positive role models from a relative youngish age and had the complete respect of their team. I would put Kevin Sinfield and Cameron Smith as other examples from more recent times (obviously not related to playing ability!) though I'm sure there are some others I've forgot.

McNamara was heavily rated by Brian Smith as a youngster at Hull FC in the early nineties. Smith then made him captain of the Bradford Bulls at the start of the NH Super League era, which they dominated with St Helens. It was obvious that he was destined for the coaching ranks and everyone with any RL coaching influence seemed to assume his success as a Head Coach would be taken for granted, just like Kearney was prior to Parramatta.

He had served his apprenticeship under some of the better coaches in the UK and took over at Bradford in 2006 after Brian Noble left for Wigan. The Bulls had won the Super League and then the WCC against Wests Tigers and it was generally assumed that nothing would change. Bradford got gradually worse over the four years he was there to the stage they couldn't make the play-offs and it was a bit of a shock that he got made England Coach in 2010. His record at Bradford cast a shadow over him during his time with the England team, where everything he did was questioned and he was indeed often referred to as McBanana on Message Boards. To be fair Bradford had some huge financial issues, where the size of it only came to light in 2012 when they were hit with administration. It is a bit of a debate in the UK whether it is fair to judge him from this time as the foundations of the successful team he inherited had actually been built on sand.

His relative failure with Bradford is similar to Kearney's at Parramatta, in that their record at both clubs could be argued to be a failure of Administration instead of Coaching. People bring up Wayne Bennett at Newcastle and Ricky Stuart at Parramatta all the time and its a fair point, but it's easier to debate issues in the back office when you have had success at club level to compare it with. The jury is still out...

Kearney and McNamara have clearly helped to improve the performance and culture of their National sides but I think Kearney (and to a smaller degree McNamara) will be forever judged by most fans on how the Warriors go in the NRL over the next few years.
Well said and welcome to the forum.

One thing I take a different view on is McNamara's legacy being judged by the Warriors fortunes.

Kearney will cop all of that, McNamara may be slightly tainted by association, but otherwise he is quite safe.

The NZWarriors are an NRL joke as far as coach killing goes.

So the bar is set pretty low. McNamara as an assistant will be viewed as a brave man who tried to help the Un savable.

The vast majority of enlightened fans realize that McNamara will be in no way responsible for what happens if we are shyte.

On the other hand if the Warriors are better next year, he will get lots of positive recognition.

Kiwi fans who hate on Kearney, are not dissimilar to McNamarabana's detractors.

The Arm chair selectors are the worst of it.

" Kearney needs to get over himself and pick Marshall...Hargreaves...etc"

"McNamara needs to get over himself and stop picking his love child Sinfeild....Where is Danny Brough?

The same fans want said coach to affect a change of culture.

They live in some delusional universe where the Authority figure is meant to "bring the best out of the best players'

I ask myself every time I read that sentiment, didn't you go to High School?

Were you never exposed to talented people who knew better than the best teacher's and because of it became screw ups?

Last edited:
Reactions: bruce

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
So the bar is set pretty low. McNamara as an assistant will be viewed as a brave man who tried to help the Un savable.

The vast majority of enlightened fans realize that McNamara will be in no way responsible for what happens if we are shyte.

On the other hand if the Warriors are better next year, he will get lots of positive recognition.
Thats not how it panned out for Justin Morgan. Most know he was shit...

Reactions: Sup42 and Miket12

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Fair comment and welcome aboard. Personally I have great hopes for them both because neither were appointed lightly, and the performance of the English last night showed that Bennett hasn't been the magician with the English team that would show Steve McNamara up.
Thats not how it panned out for Justin Morgan. Most know he was shit...
JD rated him, and his his time he was highly rated at the Warriors as a player and leader. I have a suspicion that Cappy was worse than anybody thought.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Steve McNamara
Steve McNamara.png

THIS SEASON the Vodafone Warriors have added a bit of the bulldog breed to their coaching staff with the arrival of former England coach Steve McNamara. Though only 45, McNamara brings a lifetime experience of rugby league to the table.

In a 14 year playing career he managed almost 300 appearances for Hull FC, Bradford Bulls, Wakefield Trinity Wildcats and Huddersfield Giants whilst also picking up 5 caps for Great Britain. A second-rower he managed 39 tries but also kicked over 600 goals. In the 1990/91 season he was part of the Hull FC squad that won the Premiership in England. To this day this remains Hull’s sole win in this competition.

He was at Wakefield when they suffered massive financial problems and cancelled contracts of all players over the age of 24. A move which prompted the resignation of then Wakefield coach, and former Kiwi, Tony Kemp.

Upon finishing his playing career he took up a coaching securing a position with Bradford Bulls Academy and taking them to Grand Final success in his first season. In 2006 he was given the head coaches job with the senior side after the departure of Brian Noble. This appointment made him the youngest coach in England.

In 2007 he was also appointed England’s assistant coach and when he ended his time at Bradford in 2010 he became England’s head coach.

In 2013 he was within seconds of taking England to the World Cup final before having his heart broken by a last minute Shaun Johnson try for the Kiwis (he wasn’t the only Pom who had a broken heart that day. But we forgive you Shaun).

Keen to keep developing his coaching, McNamara took up an assistant coaching position with the Sydney Roosters in time for the 2014 NRL season.

In 2016, despite having leading his England side to a series win over the Kiwis, he was replaced as England coach by Wayne Bennett. Naturally this was a bitterly disappointing event for McNamara “I was really disappointed and very frustrated, I am a very proud Englishman and really proud and privileged to coach my country. I really enjoyed the whole process of it. I was extremely disappointed but probably not too surprised. I was half ready for it. I invested so much into the team and program to get it to a stage where it was at, but you've got to move on. The disappointment was huge but I look back on that and it's been an incredible journey."

Although his family has moved back to England his focus is firmly on the NRL and his new position with the Vodafone Warriors “The time is right for the kids to get back and it's important they get their grades. From my side I've still got some things I really want to achieve over there (down-under). It's going be difficult but we can manage that”.

Head coach Stephen Kearney got a close-up view of McNamara during their international duels as coaches and liked what he saw. He has no doubt that the Englishmen will add much value to the talented Vodafone Warriors coaching quartet. According to McNamara and Stacey Jones are already keeping each other on their toes with much banter permeating the training ground and club offices. It promises to be a fun season for Vodafone Warriors fans. Welcome to Auckland Steve.

-Sir Peter Leitch Club Newsletter #159

Reactions: Sup42 and bruce

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings