Staff Stephen Kearney

Sup42

Sup42

Kearney, like Dean Bell, will sadly always have their legacies at the club tarnished by what they did post footy.

Kearney really was a fantastic player on and off the field. Had all the skills and physical attributes. Love watching old games and seeing his workload. He really did have it all. Skill, talent, drive, awareness, motor etc.

He was the consummate professional in his game prep before it was even a thing. What he did to prep for games back in the 90s largely by himself is now religious protocol in the modern game. He was also known to carry a notebook on him from a very young age and take notes and evalutate himself.

I forget which former Kiwis player was being interviewed at the time but they said Mooks was the worst room mate to have as he would set an alarm every 2 hours so he could get up and hydrate. This in an age where getting hammered on the piss after a game was par for course.

If you listen to what his Storm team mates and coach from 1999 have to say about him and Tawera Nikau you'll know he helped shape the ethos that the club have used ever since to be the dynasty they are now...

A couple of British players rate Kearney in their top five toughest. Adrian Morely notably being one who talks about Kearney hammering the shit out of him.

Kearney could be a bit of a mongrel. I used to get frustrated at his ill discipline at times, but now I look back, I miss that kind of aggression at our club.

Last edited: