Staff Stephen Kearney

Dunedin warrior

listening to the commentary and what was reportedly said by Nathan Cleary during the GF, it was interesting to note how much of SK philosophy on coaching was also being pushed by Ivan.
Things like Defense first. Next man up mentality, no special players. Players take accountability for other players. Learn your role till you quote it in your sleep.

I know he didnt always back the talk up with what he did. But i still somehow feel there is a coulda been in there.
Bit like when we lost Ivan, since then his replacements have been much worse.
Yes his team was boring to watch, but he always insisted they had to earn the right to play expansively. If only the warriors had got on board with this idea and earned it. Maybe it would be them winning every division of football one year and not the panthers.
He had three and a bit seasons, and we were getting worse. I think Kearney got a very generous go at head coach and didn’t deliver.

Yeah the Warriors is a tough gig as a head coach and if he had slotted into a top job he might have gone well, but generally speaking new coaches come into struggling teams. Kearney failed twice.

gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
He had three and a bit seasons, and we were getting worse. I think Kearney got a very generous go at head coach and didn’t deliver.

Yeah the Warriors is a tough gig as a head coach and if he had slotted into a top job he might have gone well, but generally speaking new coaches come into struggling teams. Kearney failed twice.
i agree that he didnt deliver.
would love him to be replaced by someone more competent rather than what we eventually got.
I think without outside interference, the results while here may have been different. However it was his job to fix those problems and he couldnt. and didnt. I was ready to see him go when he went, but saddened by what might have been.

wizards rage

wizards rage

listening to the commentary and what was reportedly said by Nathan Cleary during the GF, it was interesting to note how much of SK philosophy on coaching was also being pushed by Ivan.
Things like Defense first. Next man up mentality, no special players. Players take accountability for other players. Learn your role till you quote it in your sleep.

I know he didnt always back the talk up with what he did. But i still somehow feel there is a coulda been in there.
Bit like when we lost Ivan, since then his replacements have been much worse.
Yes his team was boring to watch, but he always insisted they had to earn the right to play expansively. If only the warriors had got on board with this idea and earned it. Maybe it would be them winning every division of football one year and not the panthers.
Knowing what to do and transferring it into a playing group are 2 different things.

For all the hype about Cleary was an average coach at the Warriors, poor at the Panthers round 1, poor at the Tigers. Then benefitted with the culmination of Gould’s club rebuild and junior programme player production line at the Panthers part 2 to now be a super coach.

snake77

snake77

You're a hard taskmaster Wizz especially as the team only missed the 2006 playoffs due to a salary cap breach. View attachment 48044
2009 also had the Sonny Fai tragedy in the off season. As much as they would of wanted play for their lost mate it would affected some of them.

I know one of the criticisms of Cleary's time here was we would often sneak into the finals. Since he's left we have managed to sneak into the finals once so I'd prefer the 2006-20011 record. We often improved as the season went on and managed to win in the finals.

Cleary got a lot out of the squads he had.

I know we often bring up if he stayed here. He may have got more out of Johnson and some others. Then there is the discussion on Nathan coming through. But its been over 10 years now so we don't know if he would of wanted to move back to Australia. That could of been driven by needing a change, family or Nathan could of gone to another club and Cleary may have decided to move the family to be closer or end up coaching that side.

tajhay

tajhay

🏉
Hope he is able to spend quality time with his family in Brisbane. He has dedicated so much to the sport. Hope he once again returns to the game in an admin role (other than coach) in the nrl. Wishing him all the very best.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
11. STEPHEN KEARNEY
Last update

Back in 2015 he was the NRL Brisbane Broncos assistant coach under Wayne Bennett and NZ Kiwis head coach. Obviously since 2015 he became the Warriors head coach in 2017 before getting unceremoniously fired in 2020.

Kearney then headed to Melbourne where he reclaimed his position as Assistant Coach to Craig Bellamy for the 2021 and 2022 season.

Just this month he announced that he would be stepping down and returning to his Brisbane house.

No word yet on what the future holds for Mooks.

Kearney steps down as Assistant

melbournestorm.com.au
Fri 21 Oct 2022, 04:50 PM

7ab8d17605139befed9662bc4dde4a20

Melbourne Storm Assistant Coach, Stephen Kearney, has stepped down from his position to return to his Brisbane home.

Kearney returned to Storm for the 2021 and 2022 seasons after a lengthy career as player and coach at Storm, Super League Club Hull and New Zealand Warriors.

“Storm has been a big part of my life, and the life of my family, for over 20 years,” Kearney said.

“I cannot thank them enough for the opportunities they have given me to develop as a player, coach and person. Storm will always hold a special place in my heart, and I will leave with some great memories and lifelong friends.”

Kearney played at Storm for six seasons from 1999 playing 139 games for the club, including being an integral member of the 1999 Premiership and 2000 World Club Challenge. He was Craig Bellamy’s inaugural Captain in 2003 and, after a stint at Hull in the Super League.

Kearney returned to the club as Craig’s Assistant Coach from 2006 to 2010 which included the 2007 and 2009 Premierships and the 2010 World Club Challenge. In 2018 Kearney was selected in the Melbourne Storm team of the first 20 years and was recognised with a Life Membership in 2010.

Storm General Manager Football, Frank Ponissi, said Kearney has had an enormous impact on the players, coaches and staff at Storm.

“There are not too many people who have had as much impact on our club as Mooks. He is passionate about the club and has been an outstanding mentor for the players and football staff. Whilst he has been an outstanding coach, he is also a wonderful person around our club and will be sorely missed.

“We wish Mooks and his family all the best for the future in Brisbane.” Ponissi said.

Kearney will finish with Storm at the end of November.

The Club will begin a recruitment process to find a replacement for Kearney in the coming weeks in preparation for the 2023 NRL season.

Reactions: bruce
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
SK is a great, no doubt about that.
Kearney, like Dean Bell, will sadly always have their legacies at the club tarnished by what they did post footy.

Kearney really was a fantastic player on and off the field. Had all the skills and physical attributes. Love watching old games and seeing his workload. He really did have it all. Skill, talent, drive, awareness, motor etc.

He was the consummate professional in his game prep before it was even a thing. What he did to prep for games back in the 90s largely by himself is now religious protocol in the modern game. He was also known to carry a notebook on him from a very young age and take notes and evalutate himself.

I forget which former Kiwis player was being interviewed at the time but they said Mooks was the worst room mate to have as he would set an alarm every 2 hours so he could get up and hydrate. This in an age where getting hammered on the piss after a game was par for course.

If you listen to what his Storm team mates and coach from 1999 have to say about him and Tawera Nikau you'll know he helped shape the ethos that the club have used ever since to be the dynasty they are now...