Staff Stephen Kearney

Mr Frank White

Warriors 1st Grader
May 19, 2012
I'm a fan of Jonnos kind of stats. But I would take it further.
Assess everything, heartrate, meters run, attempted tackles, one on ones, everything!
Then bring up guys from ISP who are going to fit the mould.
Moneyball the fuck out of this team.
Find the Gavets and the CNKs.

At this point I would take Manu back, no one every questioned his heart on the field.

Reactions: Swanley and jonno

Tim burgess

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2012
SK needs time, the current rabble has got worse year on year. It all started after Cleary left.

Unfortunately there appears to be too many bad influences who eventually erode away the core of a club.

Fortunately more are departing this season, with hopefully more to go.

I don't agree with this Kiwi only philosophy. Sign the best person for the job.

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
I'm a fan of Jonnos kind of stats. But I would take it further.
Assess everything, heartrate, meters run, attempted tackles, one on ones, everything!
Then bring up guys from ISP who are going to fit the mould.
Moneyball the fuck out of this team.
Find the Gavets and the CNKs.

At this point I would take Manu back, no one every questioned his heart on the field.
Manu is like Matulino, in that he'll prepare real well for some games, and absolutely dominate, and then he'd relax and show up half baked the next week and have a shocker.

When the the going got tough he got on the late night tranks to numb it out. Then he'd show up game day still half baked.

Until one day he got caught in the act and painted his face on twitter. And of course all this is Kearneys fault. He's not a good enough coach to keep these guys sober for the games.

Sober Manu is awe inspiring. Same with Sober Matulino.

Mookes, straighten these rich cu**s out.

Warriors Money Ball Stat: Does he get stoned during the week? Yes, then lets gone. NO, then lets play.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
I think Manu and Ben had issues around the club signing Roger, Manu was the face of the club and Roger just came in and took over. I've been surprised with Manu because I never expected it to finish like this, it's just real sad.

Far too many ego's and people feeling entitled at this club.

That is by far the biggest problem.

And it spreads like cancer.

Just look at Lolohea.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Fair point, that begs the question is he the actual problem? I don't think so. He just doesn't have the squad he needs, yet. The bigger question is if he is ever going to get that squad?
Your question on if he is ever going to get "his" squad is a big one. A lot of coaches have come into a club and got some leeway with their first year as they inherited the squad and need to make changes to get their squad but also get fired before getting their squad.

It is a demanding business where you need to show progress in the short term to help appease the fan base and to stop pressure building on you from management.

The Sailor article isn't too much of a concern as it is just a soundbite from an aussie league analyst. They usually just shoot from the mouth with the first thing that pops into their mind. If we get more articles questioning the coach especially so early into his tenure things could get interesting. A bit of a cycle though as we have a reputation of removing coaches which will also get brought up.

Sailor bringing up the Eels and now his time at the Warriors as evidence of him not being a good coach. To me the question for Kearney after the Eels was finding the right club as the Eels obviously wasn't the right fit for a rookie coach. Now has he followed that up with choosing the wrong club again?

Lets Gone

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 22, 2015
Kearney better fuckin drop some of these guys.
Honestly showing he is out of his depth.

Getting pissed off at his conferences aswell giving nothing away.

I get Bennett or Hasler can do it cause they fuckin get results

ttkk19

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 21, 2013
I dont know...maybe making players accountable for their performances and dropping them would send the message?

Good coaches do not hesitate to drop big name players if warranted. It is warranted at this club.

While I agree that dropping players is definitely needed I can also see the benefit in keeping the same side.

Being a new coach, Kearney would feel like he needs to build that trust and confidence between himself and his players. For the last few years the Warriors have failed to perform and play for their coach. This has lead to the team not making the finals and the coach being sacked soon after. If you look at all the good teams, the players always play for their coach. They don't wanna let them down. I'm not sure how this bond forms or how long it takes to happen but it looks like Kearney's trying to do that with the team atm.

Another thing to consider is the fluency/familiarity involved. Forming new combinations has always been a problem for us. For whatever reason it'll take us twice as long to get used to a new combo than it would another team.

Don't get me wrong, if it were up to me we'd drop Johnson and Thompson in a heartbeat. But seeing as that's not happening our only way out is for the players to pull finger and start playing with some pride.

Last edited:

Mr Frank White

Warriors 1st Grader
May 19, 2012
Mate they arent doing anything new. Still playing the same game as always.

Fuck their egos. For sure you have to give time for combos to gel, but that's the halves, or a center and winger.
What's Bodenes excuse, or Hoff, or Lillyman?
Kata is steadily getting worse.

Fuck Manu had that famous nightmare game, but grew into a legend.
You can forgive a few dropies, or not getting the timing right, not the glaring issues we have like an inability to do the basics. Like pass or tackle or kick

If the players lack skill, then off to ISP with a list to work on, away from the eye of first grade. Isn't that the nice thing to do, rather than leave them out of their depth?
If they lack heart then punt them.

ttkk19

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 21, 2013
Mate they arent doing anything new. Still playing the same game as always.

Fuck their egos. For sure you have to give time for combos to gel, but that's the halves, or a center and winger.
What's Bodenes excuse, or Hoff, or Lillyman?
Kata is steadily getting worse.

Fuck Manu had that famous nightmare game, but grew into a legend.
You can forgive a few dropies, or not getting the timing right, not the glaring issues we have like an inability to do the basics. Like pass or tackle or kick

If the players lack skill, then off to ISP with a list to work on, away from the eye of first grade. Isn't that the nice thing to do, rather than leave them out of their depth?
If they lack heart then punt them.

Are you talking to me? If so, you're probs asking the wrong guy...

I'm just tryna make sense of all these coaching decisions that Kearney's made. Offering another point of view, playing the devil's advocate if you will.

We'd all like to think we have the answers and we'd know how to get the team on the right track, that's me included. But at the end of the day Kearney is the man in charge and he'll be in charge for the foreseeable future. The sooner we figure out his methods and strategies, the sooner we'll get some clarity.

It'd make things a lot easier for all of us if we knew we were gaining something/improving somehow while taking these losses. We obvs don't get much out of Kearney as he likes to keep things close to his chest.

I like to think these little evaluations/analyses are worth it, even if I'm over-analysing or grasping at straws. Disagreeing is allg, in fact its encouraged. That's what these forums are meant for after all.

Last edited:

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Visited the LU site and searched for Kearney threads dating back to 2012 when he was at Parramatta.

Its not good folks.

He couldnt attract or mould a team back then. Why do we think he can do it here?

The same issues we are bringing up - lack of improvement, not getting the best out of players, and trying to play a storm style of league are exactly the same concerns brought up by Parra fans 5 years ago.

Shit, I'm worried.

Hope i am wrong but this is starting to look like another tragic mistake.

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Sep 23, 2016
My concern is this roster less Foran and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck for most of the season did better last year. Kearney has been blessed on the injury front compared to other seasons, Cappy in particular.
This. How do those saying Kearney is fine its just the team that suck explain this? This just about proves we hired a worse coach than the one we fired. I say just about because we probably need a slightly bigger sample size. But for it not to be true, Kearney needs to start getting this team winning. Fast. Can anybody honestly see that happening?

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
This. How do those saying Kearney is fine its just the team that suck explain this? This just about proves we hired a worse coach than the one we fired. I say just about because we probably need a slightly bigger sample size. But for it not to be true, Kearney needs to start getting this team winning. Fast. Can anybody honestly see that happening?
I said this in the game day thread. with the greatest respect, Pull your head in.

Cappi is still an integral part of the team. Saying that the old coach was better than this coach, when hes still there is nuts. If he was that good they wouldnt have gotten rid of him. He was crap. The team is as unprofessional as it is now not because of the new guy they have bought in, but because of the old guy they should have let go. Kearny hasnt been there long enough yet to replace the defective parts of this motor. He already knows who he wants to cut, but isnt able to because of the contracts.

I suspect that a number of players know that they arent getting contracts and when that happens they can go one of two ways. It isnt really a surprise to me that so many are going downhill. It shows their lack of professionalism.

Im not a Kearny fan and maybe ill come to regret saying all this, as i would rather see him drop big names for underperformance. But this is what hes got to play with, there are no miracles on the horizon. If hes going to turn us into the storm or the broncos mark 2 then all power to him. Time for the players to get on board or jump ship.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
The same issues we are bringing up - lack of improvement, not getting the best out of players, and trying to play a storm style of league are exactly the same concerns brought up by Parra fans 5 years ago.
What excuses are they using these days;), that club is a joke. Never been the same since they brought in the salary cap.
Kearney needs to start getting this team winning. Fast. Can anybody honestly see that happening?
If Gavet, Maumolo, CNK and Luke are any indication it will happen... in time.
I suspect that a number of players know that they arent getting contracts and when that happens they can go one of two ways. It isnt really a surprise to me that so many are going downhill. It shows their lack of professionalism.
Exactly, and that is why they are not being resigned.

Akkerz

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Jun 22, 2012
The edge of insanity
Not sure whether SK will be the Warriors saviour but I'm disappointed that he's tolerating the current situation. He should realise that these players are not in any way fragile or brittle . Like naughty kids they know exactly what they are up to and are just letting us know that for some reason they are really.pissed off.
How he turns things around to achieve results is his concern but there had better be major on field improvement. I'll stick with with him & his unfathomable thinking until we see what he can or can't do with a team of his choosing.

Reactions: Johnnyray

Afakasi247

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 5, 2014
SK. The debate of the hour.

I've been in support of SK...more so the cause.

A coach who has a plan. A long term plan and vision for this team.

We haven't had that since...Ivan.

SK has a bad NRL coaching record.

In the last 5 seasons the Warriors have had a poor coach track record.

They have a fanbase who have grown inpatient. In a country that doesn't tolerate losers.

With Australia media who love to poke fun at a struggling outcast team.

And their own NZ union-biased media who love pushing the blue chip league into irrelevance.

But throughout all the bullshit. The demeanor of SK has remained the same.

"Process".

Consistency does start from the top. Doyle has cleaned up HQ.

As others have said, that don't mean shit if on field results don't improve.

But if SK persists. If that facet can remain constant unlike it has in seasons past....

We have to hold onto some form of hope.

As for the now...players need to be held accountable.

The Thompsons, Hoffmans...

Katas....

It's time to reward the Sipleys, Papali'is...

Time to back the CNK's, Afoa's...

The only criticism of SK for me is sticking with the experienced heads too long.

I get the notion of picking a consistent team.

But if the same players are consistently dropping the ball, then we are going to consistently get shit results.

Which is what we've been faced with.

Which is why we are fed up.

Which is why SK needs to show the balls he had in the Kiwis, to drop the players like The Marshall's, the JWH's...

I mean he punished Vete. He punished Lolohea.

One is playing for his career. The other is already out the door.

He dropped Maumalo but thanks to injury he found his way back into First grade.

We've seen 2 of his better games in first grade as a result.

The axe must be weld this week...it has to be.

Season depends on it.

SK's credibility depends on it.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings