Staff Stephen Kearney

WarriorBall

While this forum would believe that half the ISP are capable of turning out in first grade next week Kearney and the other coaches have a view that there's a very limited number of players ready to make the transition and a number of them have already been tried. Sad but true.

Last edited by a moderator:

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
While this forum would believe have half the ISP are capable of turning out in first grade next week Kearney and the other coaches have a view that there's a very limited number of players ready to make the transition and a number of them have already been tried. Sad but true.
He's just working a process that will take until next year to bear any fruit.

We'll just have to put up with the same old fruit cake efforts until then.

• Haha
Reactions: WarriorBall

Stalefish540

Contributor
May 13, 2017
Mt. Smart
I believe it's a small number thats why I said some not all. The fact that he is persisting with players that are under performing and not going to be at the club next year, is the most unfortunate bit in my eyes. We are not going to make the 8, so drip feeding a few of the consistent ones a game or 2 in first grade, would seem like a pretty smart idea if they're going to be re-signed.

Dave Brough

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 24, 2014
Kearney said. One thing I'm really mindful of is making drastic decisions,but,the same groupof players put in a consistent performance the week before,
( Against Brisbane).
One thing I know about consistency is, if you keep changing it all the time.you are not going to get it.
What about the 2 weeks before the Brisbane game Steven.? One reasonable effort in 4 games. Even I can see the consistency from Thompson, and
Others.Bin them and let them come right in reserve grade. Start of the season, you said you would select players on form, Haven't seen much of that ,
Took ages for you to bring CNK into the team,and then he gets the bullet for no reason.

Leaguegod

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 24, 2015
While this forum would believe that half the ISP are capable of turning out in first grade next week Kearney and the other coaches have a view that there's a very limited number of players ready to make the transition and a number of them have already been tried. Sad but true.
Well if you don't recruit why would anything change? we were well out of the 8 last year lost the last 4 with the weakest efforts ever and went with the same squad, so you 'Reap what you sow' the Warriors/Doyle/Kearney sowed nothing so we reap nothing! and to recruit Harris for next year show how fucked up this club is.

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
Consistency is useless if you're not maintaining high standards.

We want consistently awesome. Anyone who fails to be awesome gets consistently dropped IMO.

Reactions: Tedster

Sledge

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 10, 2016
I Don't Think Stephen Kearney Is An NRL Coach: Wendell Sailor
Strong words
1 Day
stephen-kearney-warriors-800.jpg

Image: @NZStuffSport

As it shapes to be another very average season for the New Zealand Warriors, Triple M's Wendell Sailor has question whether the problem goes beyond the playing group.

"No disrespect to Stephen Kearney, but I have a look at what he's done as a coach, and at Parramatta I know it was tough there, but sometimes you have to look at the coach as well," Dell said.

"I don't know that he's an NRL coach, and I know that's a bit harsh.

"He was a good assistant at Melbourne and at the Broncos, but it just seems that he can't get the best out of his team.

"We always say that the players need to be held to accountability, but I just don't know that the transition from a rep coach to an NRL coach has worked for Stephen Kearney."

Danpatmac

How many good coaches are there?

Seriously, how many guys coaching or having recently coached NRL sides would the vast amount of fans consider 'good coaches'?

Bennett?
Bellamy?

then daylight really... there are a few who are ok but have major, major flaws or have had really poor seasons either now or in recent memory.

Only one coach wins the whole thing every year.

So eventually we need to realise that Kearney is about as good as it is gonna get, don't we?

Reactions: Salatape

Donal

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 10, 2014
Auckland
Here's a process I'd like Kearney to follow:

Win Loss Ratio for players who haven't played every game this year:

CNK 50%, 4 games
Mannering 45%, 11 games
Foran 44%, 9 games
Sao 43%, 7 games
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck/Maumalo 42%, 12 games
Gavet/Ayshford 40%, 10 games
Vete/Roach 40%, 5 games
Gub 37.5%, 8 games
Lillyman 33%, 12 games
Matulino 33%, 6 games
Kata 30%, 10 games
Afoa 29%, 7 games
Lolohea 25%, 4 games

Everyone else is on 38% from 13 games or not really featuring.

The process is to hammer this stat into the players heads and make sure they know that winning is most important for future contract negotiations and getting selected.

Looking a little deeper with for and against for those games as well.

For example our for and against with Manners in the team is -2.5 per game, and without him in the team it's -12 per game.
A 9.5 point positive difference.

Lolohea, In -9.5 per game, out -1.9 per game. 7.6 point negative difference.

Kata, In -5.4, out +1 (ouch). 6.4 point negative.

CNK, In -1.25, out -5. 3.75 point positive.

Foran, In -1.5, Out -9.5. 8 point positive.

Sao, In -3, Out -5. 2 point positive.

Gub, In -6.8, Out -0.5. 6.3 point negative.

Afoa, In -6.3, Out -1.2. 5.1 point negative.

Matulino, In -3.2, Out -4.5. 1.3 point positive.

So for all you myth busters Afoa shouldn't be selected for his defense. And neither should Gub. Sao is a good player. Kata needs to follow Lolohea out the door. And we're royally screwed without Mannering and Foran.

Lillyman missed out on the gravy game vs the Broncos reserve grade team so maybe a little unfair, but here it is.

In -5.75, Out +18. 23.75 point negative. o_O Sort your shit out Bull.;)

But considering the game he did play in his team got smashed by more, so maybe not completely unfair. If you average it out for him then his total season for and against is -7.2 points per game vs a Warriors season ave -3.9 points for and against.

This a brutal but awesome (IMO) way of measuring an individuals performance. Because they have to lift the teams total stats to lift their own personal stats. But as you can see with Lillyman it takes more than a few games to get an accurate estimate.

Moral of the story. Don't get dropped or get injured, because if you do you'll fall under this spotlight.

And for you Shaun Johnson haters:

2015 season: 53% win ratio from 17 completed games vs a team season 37.5% (zero games won after injury).

In +0.2 points diff, Out -22.5 points diff. 22.7 point positive.

That is a magnificent piece of statistical analysis. I'm hugely impressed. It should become a standard part of every coach's and commentator's toolkit. Agree completely you need enough games for the numbers to mean something, but when you have the numbers, it's absolutely spot on.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I Don't Think Stephen Kearney Is An NRL Coach: Wendell Sailor
Strong words
1 Day
stephen-kearney-warriors-800.jpg

Image: @NZStuffSport

As it shapes to be another very average season for the New Zealand Warriors, Triple M's Wendell Sailor has question whether the problem goes beyond the playing group.

"No disrespect to Stephen Kearney, but I have a look at what he's done as a coach, and at Parramatta I know it was tough there, but sometimes you have to look at the coach as well," Dell said.

"I don't know that he's an NRL coach, and I know that's a bit harsh.

"He was a good assistant at Melbourne and at the Broncos, but it just seems that he can't get the best out of his team.

"We always say that the players need to be held to accountability, but I just don't know that the transition from a rep coach to an NRL coach has worked for Stephen Kearney."
Wendell Sailor was a fine winger, but what has he done since? Mark Graham used to say opinions are like arseholes, everybody has one. So why print his?

WarriorBall

Well if you don't recruit why would anything change? we were well out of the 8 last year lost the last 4 with the weakest efforts ever and went with the same squad, so you 'Reap what you sow' the Warriors/Doyle/Kearney sowed nothing so we reap nothing! and to recruit Harris for next year show how fucked up this club is.

Disagree about Harris mate he's a solid signing and should provide some solidity on our left edge. I don't know with what cap space you expected mass signings last year? beside that Kearney arrived after the fact so portioning blame to him isnt justified imo.

Agree that our recruitment over the last few years hasn't been thoroughly considered though.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
How many good coaches are there?

Seriously, how many guys coaching or having recently coached NRL sides would the vast amount of fans consider 'good coaches'?

Bennett?
Bellamy?

then daylight really... there are a few who are ok but have major, major flaws or have had really poor seasons either now or in recent memory.

Only one coach wins the whole thing every year.

So eventually we need to realise that Kearney is about as good as it is gonna get, don't we?
Bennett and Bellamy are freaks. They worked together for years but hate each other, go figure. There have been some brilliant coaches in the game.
John Monie actually had a fantastic record, he just wasn't that good a coach.
Brian Smith was a very good coach, just too hard on his players so ran out of good players who wanted to put up with it. Jamie Lyon was the best example.
John Lang was a brilliant coach at Cronulla but ran out of steam at Penrith.
Tim Sheens coached the Raiders during their great years but ran into trouble at the Cowboys.
Neil Henry is also a very good coach, but got sacked by the Cowboys.
Des Hasler got an offer he couldn't refuse from the Dogs but what has he done?

Graham Lowe, himself a very useful coach in Sydney, lest we forget, used to quote the line there are two types of coaches, those who have been sacked and those who are waiting to be sacked.

That Bennett and Bellamy haven't been sacked might speak more of "other" support they get to build their teams. Bennett didn't do much for the Knights. Just saying like.

Salatape

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 19, 2016
Something I don't appreciate about the Kearney rhetoric is his how he defends the performance of his side with the media, yes it could be a ploy, players don't like reading about the coach ragging on them in the papers but I'd hope that the reality of the situation is relayed to the playing group behind closed doors.

I really hope this is the case. Protect the team in the media to relieve unnecessary pressure but get on their asses behind closed doors. So far it's not looking good though :/

theleagueguy

1st Grade Fringe
May 9, 2015
Auckland, NZ
People are also forgetting his main signing at Parramatta Will Hopoate went on a two year mormon mission, Sandow is out of the league and Jarryd Hayne is a coach killer, Bellamy has had Smith, Cronk, Slater, Folau and Inglis and the best scout in league history in Peter O'Sullivan and also cheated the Salary cap, Bennett's list of great players is to long list he also had the best of his time in Cyril Connell

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
What more can Kearney do to get these guys performing? :(

He's backed them to do the job, stuck by them when they haven't, and defended them in the public forum at a cost to his own personal image. There's not much more a player can ask for imo...

Pretty disgraceful.
I dont know...maybe making players accountable for their performances and dropping them would send the message?

Good coaches do not hesitate to drop big name players if warranted. It is warranted at this club.

'The process' irks me. It suggests that we have the same gameplan each time we play another team in the search for consistency. Other teams have gameplans that change each week, depending on strengths and weaknesses of their own and opposition team. Yet this team cannot even play to its strengths how can we expose other teams weaknesses. That all suggests to me he is a weak coach. And one we are stuck with for the next couple of years. Im not suggesting the mess we are in is because of Kearney. I think we have a bigger problem with the players we have at the club. All round mess.

theleagueguy

1st Grade Fringe
May 9, 2015
Auckland, NZ
He's also came into a dressing room which McFadden lost last year, Matulino and Vatuvei quit on the team last year which the younger players followed. He at least has gained the respect of the players

Reactions: Woofa

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
He's also came into a dressing room which McFadden lost last year, Matulino and Vatuvei quit on the team last year which the younger players followed. He at least has gained the respect of the players
Source that McFadden lost the dressing room? If he had, he would not still be at the club, or have players goto him for advice.

If you are talking about the red bull and pills saga...that was because we have morons for players at this club.

Reactions: jonno

Danpatmac

I dont know...maybe making players accountable for their performances and dropping them would send the message?

Good coaches do not hesitate to drop big name players if warranted. It is warranted at this club.

'The process' irks me. It suggests that we have the same gameplan each time we play another team in the search for consistency. Other teams have gameplans that change each week, depending on strengths and weaknesses of their own and opposition team. Yet this team cannot even play to its strengths how can we expose other teams weaknesses. That all suggests to me he is a weak coach. And one we are stuck with for the next couple of years. Im not suggesting the mess we are in is because of Kearney. I think we have a bigger problem with the players we have at the club. All round mess.

'The process' is going to be the focal point of a lot of criticism... just like John Mitchell's 'Journey'.

Someone in PR needs to get in his ear and either come up with some alternative ways of saying this or he needs to explain the process... people are really, really tired of hearing this bs phrase.

flying coconut

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 21, 2012
If you take the last 4 games out of last year we were a far superiour teAm, Cappy had to deal with a lot of shit including injuries yet we pushed a lot of good teams to golden point, away from home I might Add, Kearney has a stronger roster and less injuries, it is not just that we are losing its how we are losing, it is not kearneys fault the team sux but it is his fault he does not know how to fix it and is continuing down the the path to finishing second last, the teams going backwards, it is obvious to anyone who is not in denial, Bluey MK II

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings