Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How is she even moderating the debate? Surely better options out there.
She seems to have a monopoly on any political commentary on TVNZ

TVNZ bosses are clearly unaware that the nation has tired of her, after we had to listen to her spoonfeed us the government's press releases during covid

Facts:

Labour 2017 election: Labourā€™s 2017 election spending promise was exceeded by $16b (based on pre covid figure.)
Labour 2020 election: Labours 2020 election spending forecast was exceeded by $23b.

Nationals total tax plan is being argued over by amounts less than the drop in current forecast business tax revenueā€¦ insignificant.

Based on history over the next term, National might stuff up by $1b, Labour will stuff up by $30b.

So do we have 30x the articles about Labours incompetence from the media šŸ™„. Instead there has been a deliberate smear campaign against National and ignoring of Labour from the media. Agenda?

If Labour return to power the media has failed in their job of holding the government to account. More that that, they have enabled itā€¦. Which is corruption in a democracy in my eyes.

Why is the media pushing BS? We need an independent media in NZ detached from government funding. And even worse, the fact people believe their BS shows how stuffed NZ is.

Last edited:
Facts:

Labour 2017 election: Labourā€™s 2017 election spending promise was exceeded by $16b (based on pre covid figure.)
Labour 2020 election: Labours 2020 election spending forecast was exceeded by $23b.

Nationals total tax plan is being argued over by amounts less than the drop in current forecast business tax revenueā€¦ insignificant.

Based on history over the next term, National might stuff up by $1b, Labour will stuff up by $30b.

So do we have 30x the articles about Labours incompetence from the media šŸ™„. Instead there has been a deliberate smear campaign against National and ignoring of Labour from the media. Agenda?

If Labour return to power the media has failed in their job of holding the government to account. More that that, they have enabled itā€¦. Which is corruption in a democracy in my eyes.

Why is the media pushing BS? We need an independent media in NZ detached from government funding. And even worse, the fact people believe their BS shows how stuffed NZ is.
Just another bonkers media rant from a poster that says he's main media source is the NZ Herald.
There is a ton of articles and opinion about the under performing Labour government.

It's actually Nationals job to hold the Labour Government to account.

If we wanted to actually talk about corruption of democracy and not be hypocrites on here - You would be talking about people like Graham Hart donating $700k to parties.

It'd be great if you could refrain from polluting this thread with this conspiracy theory dross

What did people think of the debate last night? I thought it was pretty even, and like the whole campaigns, pretty boring. Hipkins had trouble defending the last 6 years of government while Luxon failed to land any real blows.,
I thought Luxon was well prepared and got the better of Hipkins.
Although some of what Luxon said was hilariously wrong (National invented "By Maori, For Maori" etc)

Good the panelists even got a reference to Saturday's game

Facts:

Mate, we have one prospective PM telling as to trust the assumptions theyā€™ve made on overseas buyers while the other says we can trust supermarkets to pass on all the GST reductions on fruit and vegeā€¦. While saying that thereā€™s a grocery commissioner in place because we canā€™t trust the Supermarkets.

Personally, I have a huge lack of trust in either of them.

Mate, we have one prospective PM telling as to trust the assumptions theyā€™ve made on overseas buyers while the other says we can trust supermarkets to pass on all the GST reductions on fruit and vegeā€¦. While saying that thereā€™s a grocery commissioner in place because we canā€™t trust the Supermarkets.

Personally, I have a huge lack of trust in either of them.
Watching the breakfast show and as a homeowner, find no cause evictions alarming for renters. Some deserved, but I donā€™t think this is the way to go.

What did people think of the debate last night? I thought it was pretty even, and like the whole campaigns, pretty boring. Hipkins had trouble defending the last 6 years of government while Luxon failed to land any real blows.,
Luxon won, though it certainly wasnā€™t a walkover. Having said that, weā€™ve had 6 years of great debaters. That skill doesnā€™t translate to moving the country forward unfortunately

Itā€™s hard to debate anything on Labourā€™s record, so Hipkins couldnā€™t really back up his policies. Or if he had new ones, he was criticised for not doing them sooner

Hipkins isnā€™t a prime minister. If you came in cold, not knowing who they were, you would pick Hipkins as being the prime minister

Watching the breakfast show and as a homeowner, find no cause evictions alarming for renters. Some deserved, but I donā€™t think this is the way to go.
One of the major problems in this country is how parties are more concerned about appealing to their voter base than actually picking "middle ground" policy on things like removing/evicting renters. Labour went too far and now National are going to go back too far in the other direction.

Personally, I'd like to see an approach where the landlord has to argue while a tenant needs to be removed and prove that there is the potential for major damage to that property requiring the removal to be less than 60 days. Evidence of anti-social behaviour to neighbours or neighbouring property should mean 30 days to be removed. I'd like tenants who fall behind in their rents to be sent to budgeting courses and to be able to negotiate arrangements to be able to catch up with rental arrears. Then look at removal after other avenues have been explored.

Both landlords (to prevent damage to property) and tenants (to be safe guarded from bad and/or greedy landlords) both need protection.... just not one of the other depending on which party has the numbers to form a government.

Luxon won, though it certainly wasnā€™t a walkover. Having said that, weā€™ve had 6 years of great debaters. That skill doesnā€™t translate to moving the country forward unfortunately

Itā€™s hard to debate anything on Labourā€™s record, so Hipkins couldnā€™t really back up his policies. Or if he had new ones, he was criticised for not doing them sooner

Hipkins isnā€™t a prime minister. If you came in cold, not knowing who they were, you would pick Hipkins as being the prime minister
Sorry but your last paragraph doesn't seem to make too much sense.

Back