Internationals State of Origin 2015

origin shows how media really can manipulate the minds of rugby league followers. NSW never really looked like winning the series. Klemmer was talked up way over the top. I rate a guy like Blake austin and adam reynolds for their halves next year. Never rated hodgkinson or pearce yet rl media always hype up these poor guys like their gonna win the series. The biggest problem nsw have had in the last couple of years with pearce involved is points, they cant score points to save themselves. I thought they shouldve gone with a mitch rein someone to threaten out of dummy half ennis was horrible.

i wish our poor kiwis could get as much hype as the nsw team and origin itself. we deserve it.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Lillyman inspired by family tragedy
Thu 09 Jul, 2015, 6:46am
By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent
image.ashx

Queensland prop Jacob Lillyman has dedicated the most outstanding performance of his Origin career to his grandmother who passed away just prior to him joining the Morons camp for Game Three.

Playing his 11th match for Queensland Lillyman dispelled any notions that he was fortunate to keep his place on the bench, barrelling his way through the Blues defence on the back of a wonderful platform laid by Matt Scott and Nate Myles.

Coming on in the 25th minute, Lillyman had run for 72 metres by half-time – and narrowly avoided a flying David Klemmer from a kick-off – and went on to tally 138m from 13 hit-ups with five tackle busts.

It was an inspired display and one which came from some family heartache.

As he joined his teammates in Proserpine last Tuesday for the annual fan day, Lillyman's grandmother, Rita Lillyman, was being laid to rest in her home town of Richmond in north-west Queensland.

"It was an awful long way away and I couldn't make it back there [for the funeral] but she hasn't been far from my thoughts throughout the camp," Lillyman told NRL.com.

"I was lucky enough to have Pop here tonight and it was just great to do it in that fashion in front of him."

If Lillyman's display was an eye-catching one for the fans it was further vindication for coach Mal Meninga and what he has known all along. The story generally gets written in Game One each year of how the unfashionable Lillyman appreciates the faith shown by Queensland selectors, a faith that was repaid in bucketloads on Wednesday night.

"We have faith in Jake and he was extraordinarily good," Meninga said. "We just have faith in him.

"We know what a great player he is and what a great fella he is and we know what we're going to get out of him.

"I think he's grateful too to be a part of this footy team and he places great value on being a part of this team and he was very, very good.

"We've had a bit of criticism around our bench but I thought our bench had been very good throughout all three games so I didn't feel like we needed to change that at all. That's why they're still there."

Given the quality of the early work of Scott, Myles and Man of the Series Corey Parker, Lillyman said he and Josh Papalii discussed the need to maintain the intensity as they waited patiently for their turn on the bench.

"Those two guys, Matt and Nate, really laid the platform and it was up to myself and Joshy to come on and continue things on. Right across the park it was a great team performance and one we're very proud of," said the 31-year-old Warriors prop.

"They'd laid such a good platform and things were going so well, you don't want to come out and not maintain that intensity.

"That was the big thing between myself and Josh, we spoke about trying to pick things up a bit and maintain what the starting front-rowers had done.

"There was a lot on the line and obviously after what happened in Game Two we wanted to come out and make a bit of a statement. It was just a great game to be a part of and one we won't forget in a hurry."

https://www.nrl.com/lillyman-inspired-by-family-tragedy/tabid/10874/newsid/87764/default.aspx

Reactions: gREVUS and Defence
Cannot believe Tamou only gets 1 pathetic week for the high shot and the swinging arm on Lillyman. The NSWRL really do look after their own with the judiciary. If that was a warriors player or a kiwi before a test ,watch he'd be missing 3-4 weeks easy!

Reactions: koolkat and Defence

Danpatmac

if i was picking the NSW team...

1. J.Tedesco
2. J.Mansour
3. J.Dugan
4. J.Roberts
5. B.Morris
6. B.Austin
7. A.Reynolds
8. A.Fifita
9. M.Rein
10. D.Klemmer
11. B.Cordner
12. B.Cartwright
13. W.Graham

14. J.Reynolds
15. T.Frizell
16. P.Vaughan
17. R.James

18. M.Aubusson

They would still lose

All this game did for me was further confirm that Australia better get used to been owned by the Kiwis. Most of the NSW players who played last night are the players who will be playing for Australia in the future.

They just got smashed by a Queensland team who made up the majority of this years Australian team which got destroyed by the Kiwis in this years ANZAC test match.

What does that tell you?

Reactions: Johnnyray

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor

They would still lose

They’d get flattened. The old stagers they want to get rid of like Hoffman, Gallen, Farah are still some of their better players.

They just don’t have many (any) players, who are the best in their position. B.Morris maybe. The best individuals currently are qlders, kiwis, brits, or playing another code.

Reactions: tajhay and Defence
At what point does it stop been a contest? Too me it already is Queenslands won 9 out of the last 10 series. Once you get past the hype train its one team who is far superior than the other. That's not a contest.

At what point does it stop been a contest? Too me it already is Queenslands won 9 out of the last 10 series. Once you get past the hype train its one team who is far superior than the other. That's not a contest.
While I agree with you the SOO is the NRL's biggest earner.
They cannot drop a cash cow, they may have to tweak the format (i.e. include NZ) but they still get huge crowds.

While I agree with you the SOO is the NRL's biggest earner.
They cannot drop a cash cow, they may have to tweak the format (i.e. include NZ) but they still get huge crowds.

A lot of it comes back to the media IMO.
It would be interesting to see what kind of pulling power internationals would have if the media pumped them up even half as much as they do origin.

Reactions: mt.wellington

1. J.Tedesco
2. J.Mansour
3. J.Dugan
4. J.Roberts
5. B.Morris
6. B.Austin
7. A.Reynolds
8. A.Fifita
9. M.Rein
10. D.Klemmer
11. B.Cordner
12. B.Cartwright
13. W.Graham

14. J.Reynolds
15. T.Frizell
16. P.Vaughan
17. R.James

18. M.Aubusson

They would still lose

I laughed when I read that team but then when I tried to pick a better one I realized that the over all shitness ( is that a word? It should be ) of that side is more a sad indictment on nsw playing stocks than it is your ability as a selector. They just don't have the players.
I'd stick with Farrah and Jennings but I think they may as well invest in some youth in the forwards as they do have some very good young ones coming through.
Sironen, Cartwright and James would make for an exciting young backrow that they could move forward with.

Danpatmac

I laughed when I read that team but then when I tried to pick a better one I realized that the over all shitness ( is that a word? It should be ) of that side is more a sad indictment on nsw playing stocks than it is your ability as a selector. They just don't have the players.
I'd stick with Farrah and Jennings but I think they may as well invest in some youth in the forwards as they do have some very good young ones coming through.
Sironen, Cartwright and James would make for an exciting young backrow that they could move forward with.

should I be insulted?

• Haha
Reactions: Defence
Been watching too much Paul Henry?

Josh Reynolds for mine. Kind of hard when he's currently warming the Doggies bench but the guys made for Origin. The way he got under Thurstons skin in the last series was gold and helped them win their 1 in a row...
he was my pick for nsw this year, hes a good defender and plays with aggression. I dont understand the obsession with Pearse who fails to step up every time he puts on a NSW jersey.

Reynolds and Reynolds next year maybe