Internationals Spoilers: New Zealand v PNG

daj3_old

Yeah, I loved Manu's anger!

Actually, a few things start making sense to me in light of manu's anger. I kept wondering why Perret was fielding all the kicks, and I figured he was just positioning himself better than Hohaia... actual reason: PNG did not want to kick to angry Manu.

Ropati didn't get shown up defensively, I thought he might have picked his game up... actual reason: PNG did not want to run at angry Manu.

The structure fell apart for a after halftime, then picked up after Luke's big hits and Fein went into halfback. I thought it was because Marshall went off and that Leuluai wasn't being assertive in halfback. Actual reason: kiwis had to deal with angry Manu at haltime, that's how Benji got injured. They started playing better 10 minutes later because MANU TOLD THEM TO!

Jesbass_old

Actually, a few things start making sense to me in light of manu's anger. I kept wondering why Perret was fielding all the kicks, and I figured he was just positioning himself better than Hohaia... actual reason: PNG did not want to kick to angry Manu.

Ropati didn't get shown up defensively, I thought he might have picked his game up... actual reason: PNG did not want to run at angry Manu.

The structure fell apart for a after halftime, then picked up after Luke's big hits and Fein went into halfback. I thought it was because Marshall went off and that Leuluai wasn't being assertive in halfback. Actual reason: kiwis had to deal with angry Manu at haltime, that's how Benji got injured. They started playing better 10 minutes later because MANU TOLD THEM TO!

Lol, dude, this and your "select teams using the T-1000 Terminator" systen has me wondering about the Hamilton water... :lol1:

2big2strong_old

I think after that game 'most' people would agree with Gould's idea of starting Isaac Luke at hooker, moving Fien to halfback, leaving Benji at 6 and playing Leuluai off the bench as a back up hooker.

That would be our strongest possible lineup.

Or even losing Leuluai altogether and moving Perrett to fullback and Hohaia to bench hooker. Nightengale onto the wing.

PB_old

I hope Manu tells them to never pick Leuluai again. He is dead set useless. Nightingale for Perrett, Perrett to fullback, Hohaia to bench, Fein to half, Luke to hooker.

PB_old

I think after that game 'most' people would agree with Gould's idea of starting Isaac Luke at hooker, moving Fien to halfback, leaving Benji at 6 and playing Leuluai off the bench as a back up hooker.

Or even losing Leuluai altogether and moving Perrett to fullback and Hohaia to bench hooker. Nightengale onto the wing.
Good man.

Jesbass_old

Apparently he also said some idiotic things, too, but I like what he's saying there. Kiwi viewers didn't have the pleasure.

2big2strong_old

Apparently he also said some idiotic things, too, but I like what he's saying there. Kiwi viewers didn't have the pleasure.

I honestly can't recall him saying anything 'idiotic'. He was heaping praise on the Kiwi boys. He talked of how impressed he was with Adam Blair's efforts especially in his urgency in defence, and also said that Isaac Luke should be the Kiwi's captain in waiting (if he was coaching the side).

IMO, Phil Gould is one of the wisest football brains to ever walk the earth. He is almost always spot on with his analogies and comments. You need only to look at his coaching record (especially S.O.O where he is the most successful of all time) to know that he knows a thing or two about footy. Anyone that thinks he says stuff lightly or 'idiotic' are either a.) being ignorant. b.) don't know the ins and outs of league. c.) dirty Queenslanders. d.) all of the above.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesbass_old

I think it must have been other games that were being referred to. Just a general disinterest for international league, and things like referring to England as Great Britain after having done the opposite for years.

There's no doubting the guy's wisdom regarding the game. He still looks like a goose when he's jumping on the spot, though... ;)

daj3_old

Matai people?

I say no, he's walking wounded. We can't afford to risk losing to England on the off chance his shoulder is sweet. If he has to be brought in cos he's made a miracle recovery, put him in for Ropati, he's used to playing that side and his defense with one shoulder is probably only slightly worse than Ropati's.

2big2strong_old

I think it must have been other games that were being referred to. Just a general disinterest for international league, and things like referring to England as Great Britain after having done the opposite for years.

There's no doubting the guy's wisdom regarding the game. He still looks like a goose when he's jumping on the spot, though... ;)

I read that thread on LU and trust me, it was a complete pile of rubbish.

I mean, does anybody (except picky pommys) really care if he calls them England or Great Britain? They're the only team that changes their name come world cup time, but rarely has any players in it that are true Welshmen, Irishmen or Scots when they're parading themselves as GB do they? They should just be called England all the time. (Which to my understanding is exactly what's happening from now on, the GB Lions will only be used for tours ala their Rugby counterparts)

You have to remember Gould's not getting paid to be a sophisticated journalist, he's an ex Rugby League player and coach hired by a broadcaster to inject his knowledge of the game into the running commentary, which he does very well.

Those whingers on LU are going on about nothing, he said he was enjoying the game and was looking forward to going out afterwards and having a nice dinner to Vossy and not to ruin his night by talking about poitics and video referees. At this stage the Kiwi's were up 42-6 and I don't think anyone was in a serious mood anymore.

daj3_old

That was one of the best things I've heard from a commentator. You tell them Phil! I thought the comment about Issac Luke becoming captain was a tad ignorant though. Heard of Roy Asotasi, Phil?

Still NZ's future looks bright regardless. Cayless, Faalogo and Fein are the only guys that won't be round in the next few years.

Kid-Dynamite_old

This is what I've been saying all along!

Jesbass_old

That was one of the best things I've heard from a commentator. You tell them Phil! I thought the comment about Issac Luke becoming captain was a tad ignorant though. Heard of Roy Asotasi, Phil?

Still NZ's future looks bright regardless. Cayless, Faalogo and Fein are the only guys that won't be round in the next few years.

Yeah, Asotasi is still 26. His best performances are yet to come. More likely to follow him are Simon Mannering, (only 22 but already in the leadership group), and eventually Russell Packer, (still 19 but has 'leader' written all over him).

Northern_Union

Apart from when the PNG centre, Jessie james something or rather, put a big don't argue on Ropo who was the fastest man on earth for about 5 metres at running backwards.

2big2strong_old

I thought the comment about Issac Luke becoming captain was a tad ignorant though. Heard of Roy Asotasi, Phil?

To be honest, I'm a fan of Asotasi but not a huge fan of him continuing on with the NZ captaincy. Sound outrageous? Here's my reason...

..Earlier this year, he along with SBW said playing for NZ is an honour, but they'd much rather be playing for Samoa. Both said this year would be their last World Cup year with NZ.

Mark my words, next World Cup year Roy Asotasi will be captain of Samoa. I heard it from the horses mouth.

I'd much rather someone like Isaac Luke that's 100% passionate about the Kiwi jersey and about League. Of the candidates, Roy Asotasi wants to captain Samoa, Mannering would like to prove himself in Union and Nathan Cayless is just useless as tits on a bull, and 45 years old. Isaac Luke is a passionate Kiwi that loves the Black jersey so much he skipped the birth of his second child so that he could stay in camp for the Centenary test. Now that's someone that would die for the jersey I love.

Northern_Union

I honestly can't recall him saying anything 'idiotic'. He was heaping praise on the Kiwi boys. He talked of how impressed he was with Adam Blair's efforts especially in his urgency in defence, and also said that Isaac Luke should be the Kiwi's captain in waiting (if he was coaching the side).

IMO, Phil Gould is one of the wisest football brains to ever walk the earth. He is almost always spot on with his analogies and comments. You need only to look at his coaching record (especially S.O.O where he is the most successful of all time) to know that he knows a thing or two about footy. Anyone that thinks he says stuff lightly or 'idiotic' are either a.) being ignorant. b.) don't know the ins and outs of league. c.) dirty Queenslanders. d.) all of the above.

Who would have thought there was two Phil Goulds in rugby league, one has the wisest football brains in the game, and the other an arrogant cock that talks crap.

Skinny_Ravs82

To be honest, I'm a fan of Asotasi but not a huge fan of him continuing on with the NZ captaincy. Sound outrageous? Here's my reason...

..Earlier this year, he along with SBW said playing for NZ is an honour, but they'd much rather be playing for Samoa. Both said this year would be their last World Cup year with NZ.

Mark my words, next World Cup year Roy Asotasi will be captain of Samoa. I heard it from the horses mouth.

I'd much rather someone like Isaac Luke that's 100% passionate about the Kiwi jersey and about League. Of the candidates, Roy Asotasi wants to captain Samoa, Mannering would like to prove himself in Union and Nathan Cayless is just useless as tits on a bull, and 45 years old. Isaac Luke is a passionate Kiwi that loves the Black jersey so much he skipped the birth of his second child so that he could stay in camp for the Centenary test. Now that's someone that would die for the jersey I love.

To be honest you just don't know who is really and truly genuine about who they want to play for, and while what you say about Luke is right I hope, the way it goes you never know how quickly one's opinion can change.

Jesbass_old

Who would have thought there was two Phil Goulds in rugby league, one has the wisest football brains in the game, and the other an arrogant cock that talks crap.

I reckon if you take away the 'talks crap' part as long as it's pertaining to the game itself, I think you've hit the nail on the head. One of the wisest footballing brains, and one of the most arrogant.

Jesbass_old

To be honest you just don't know who is really and truly genuine about who they want to play for, and while what you say about Luke is right I hope, the way it goes you never know how quickly one's opinion can change.

Actually, if anyone knows, it's 2b2s. If 2b2s says:

Then that's what Roy Asotasi has himself said. He isn't speculating.