Internationals Spoilers and match talk: Australia v New Zealand

Mone_old

No, I can't. But likewise you can't say told you so about the coach either, which you did in essence earlier. Need more games to make that call. Even Kemble got that. Most people on forums weren't after his ass from the get go.

A point though. You can't use Webb because you are arguing with NU that he's not crash hot, and Fa'alogo is average. SBW and 13 I'll give you. No arguments there.

On this forum it was day one, even before a game people wanted his head, after the Wellington test they said it was all Kemble.
I see your point on Webb I cant use him, but Fa'alogo is far from average, he is our only forward who is able to adapt to any role, and play it well, also Cayless was a factor last night, as was Blair, they were both missing from Kemble's team

Last edited by a moderator:

JonB_old

Well the first half was awfull to watch, the tries they scored were very soft. However we had a very good second half as we all know.

We might of been a bit better than they were in the forwards but they were just amazing in the backs especially there number 7, he was the key difference between the two teams. Where they have an awesome play maker we have a sub standard one who is our only choice.

Mone_old

Changes I would like to see for the World Cup:

1. Sam Perett to replace Webb at fullback.
2. Vatuavei to replace Perett on the wing.
3. Inu to replace Nightingale.
4. Ropati to replace Sa in the centres.
5. The halves to be replaced with Marshall and Luke.
6. Halatau to start at hooker with Hohaia as sub.

With that backline, we can beat Australia.

Kav
Sa's aggression and enthusiasm was the shining light in the first half, how can he not get a spot somewhere.

Mone_old

One thing that really bothered me was our attack inside the Aussie redzone, there was no plan of where or who they would attack, it was just run, run, no setting up a play or anything. Also they were so flat in attack in the redzone they couldnt put the defense in 2 minds.They need to slow down when they are there, there is no use playing the ball fast and running it if there is no plan of attack.

PB_old

On this forum it was day one, even before a game people wanted his head, after the Wellington test they said it was all Kemble...

Fair enough. I'll take you word on that. Doesn't mean that Kemble was right, of course. Not his fault, really. It's not like he didn't try, but compare his success at lower levels to Bluey. Even Bluey got the arse (Or jumped first. Same thing.) He is the Lance Hohaia of coaching, just like Hohaia is the Marc Ellis of players..

I see your point on Webb I cant use him, but Fa'alogo is far from average, he is our only forward who is able to adapt to any role, and play it well, also Cayless was a factor last night, as was Blair, they were both missing from Kemble's team

I don't rate Fa'alogo... yet. Big? Check. Good genetics? Check. Prone to stupidity? Judiciary proven. A bench player at best.

Lots of people were missing from Kemble's team, Mone. Happens. The players thought he wasn't up to it. The players knew that a lot of people were out and they were down a man too. But that's a record that we both need to stop playing. At least until we've got some more games down.

Mone_old

Fair enough. I'll take you word on that. Doesn't mean that Kemble was right, of course. Not his fault, really. It's not like he didn't try, but compare his success at lower levels to Bluey. Even Bluey got the arse (Or jumped first. Same thing.) He is the Lance Hohaia of coaching, just like Hohaia is the Marc Ellis of players..

I don't rate Fa'alogo... yet. Big? Check. Good genetics? Check. Prone to stupidity? Judiciary proven. A bench player at best.
No way, even this year in NRL only 4 games, he has a line break, a line break assist, a try assist, he averages 99 metres per game, 28 tackles and misses only 1.8 per game, you seriously wont find many better than him anywhere.

Lots of people were missing from Kemble's team, Mone. Happens. The players thought he wasn't up to it. The players knew that a lot of people were out and they were down a man too. But that's a record that we both need to stop playing. At least until we've got some more games down.
They had to put the blame somewhere for why they were beaten by superior players, because thats too hard to admit.
None of the guys coincedently that I gave MOM points to were in Kembles team.

Northern_Union

Kiwis

1. Webb
2. Nightingale
3. Inu
4. Soliola
5. Vatuvei
6. Marshall
7. Roberts
8. N.Cayless
9. Luke
10. Asotasi
11. Williams
12. Fa'alago
13. Mannering

14. J Cayless
15. Kidwell
16. Sa
17. Hohaia

Extended Squad for WC

18. Pritard
19. Luiluai
20. Perritt
21.Haletau

Thats a Squad that can win us the WC

Mone_old

I dont think the halves are right NU only my opinion but we dont need 2 ball playing halves, no one does that anymore.They play from hooker and halfback.Cant believe Frank wouldnt make your 17. He made 112m in 33 minutes, amazing.
I'd go with

1. Marshall
2. Inu
3. Matai.
4. Soliola
5. Vatuvei
6. Sa
7. Roberts
8. Cayless
9. Luke
10. Asotasi
11. SBW
12. Fa'alogo
13. Mannering

14. Lima
15. Blair
16. Pritchard
17. Halatau

Northern_Union

We don't need to follow the pack with two ball playing halves. Why can't we have threats at 7 and 6? Just because the aussies use a lock at 6 doesn't mean we have to.

Mone_old

We don't need to follow the pack with two ball playing halves. Why can't we have threats at 7 and 6? Just because the aussies use a lock at 6 doesn't mean we have to.
It doesnt make 2 threats, it just means that nobody is running the game.
You cant have 2 dominant halves someone has to take the lead and the other is more of a runner support guy.

Northern_Union

It doesnt make 2 threats, it just means that nobody is running the game.
You cant have 2 dominant halves someone has to take the lead and the other is more of a runner support guy.

How do decide that no one is running the show?

for near on 100 years two attacking halves worked. When Sterling and Kenny were at 6 and 7 do you think no one run the show? Or Johns and Fittler? Toovey and Lyons for Manly, Daley and Stewart for NSW and Australia?

There is absolutely no reason what so ever not to play two attacking halves other than like good sheep we must follow Australias lead.

Mone_old

How do decide that no one is running the show?

for near on 100 years two attacking halves worked. When Sterling and Kenny were at 6 and 7 do you think no one run the show? Or Johns and Fittler? Toovey and Lyons for Manly, Daley and Stewart for NSW and Australia?

There is absolutely no reason what so ever not to play two attacking halves other than like good sheep we must follow Australias lead.

Those examples illustrate my point, Kenny and Daley played more like centres who can pass when paired up with Sterling and Stuart, and Johns ran the show when teamed up with Fitler.
Toovey didnt do much ball playing, he was more a running half

2big2strong_old

Kiwis

1. Webb
2. Nightingale
3. Inu
4. Soliola
5. Vatuvei
6. Marshall
7. Roberts
8. N.Cayless
9. Luke
10. Asotasi
11. Williams
12. Fa'alago
13. Mannering

14. J Cayless
15. Kidwell
16. Sa
17. Hohaia

Extended Squad for WC

18. Pritard
19. Luiluai
20. Perritt
21.Haletau

Thats a Squad that can win us the WC

Do you honestly think Hohaia played better than Halatau? and Kidwell is better than Pritchard? man that's crazy talk.

PB_old

Wheres the flaw?

Hoahia covers every position in the known universe and luiluai is there to cover the halves.

Hohaia and Leuluai should never be in a black jersey again. They are that bad.

We need to bite the bullet and get a hooker in. Masada Iosefa from Penrith or Fein. Luke to halfback. Webb to stand-off. Roberts is halves cover and if Ropati is selected he covers 6 and centre. We have wingers such as Nightingale and Vatuvei, and Inu and Perrett give us F/B cover it they don't push someone else out.

Plenty of options that don't involve using Roberts in the frontline, or the two muppets.

Northern_Union

Those examples illustrate my point, Kenny and Daley played more like centres who can pass when paired up with Sterling and Stuart, and Johns ran the show when teamed up with Fitler.
Toovey didnt do much ball playing, he was more a running half

Ahhh i think i see our problem, i'm talking attacking halves and your talking ball playing. My fault i used the term ball player in stead of attacking halves.

But i see no reason why we have to follow Australias lead and played the game down a 25 metre corridor in the middle of the park and turn a 5/8 into a another forward ALA, Bird.