Support/Announcement Some new features

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
OK, time to discuss a few new features that i have been trialling in recent weeks, and some new ones that will be coming soon.

Keyword Alerts
- You are now able to setup keyword alerts, so when a new thread/post is posted using those terms, you get notified via email.
- Link to get there is via your account section, or via your menu as shown below
upload_2014-1-30_12-16-50.png

This is what the section looks like...
upload_2014-1-30_12-20-0.png

In the example above, i would get an email if the keywords mateo, vatuvei, gubb or shaun johnson popup in all the forums. I have named the set of keywords as Players. This may be really useful for you if you end up searching for the same things all the time.

Enhanced Social Media Interaction
- This is something that is currently being trialled. I know a few of you have already used this, perhaps without meaning to.
upload_2014-1-30_12-28-42.png
upload_2014-1-30_12-29-45.png

As you can see, recent status, as well as when you create new threads or even replying to posts give you the option to post the response on Facebook and Twitter. If you have linked your facebook and twitter accounts, you are able to post to those accounts, as well as the websites social media accounts by ticking those options. This still needs a bit of tinkering as ideally replies to posts shouldnt be sent to facebook or twitter. Please take care if you have selected to post new threads to social media and not abuse the system in place.

Featured Threads
Newsworthy threads can be featured/rotated at the top of the forum listing. Additionally they will be featured on the front page. When a thread you have created has been featured, you will receive a notification.

Calendar Entries
You may have seen that at the top of the forum list, there is a link to the preseason thread, as it is still the preseason. Gameday threads will be presented on there. This will help organise the threads better especially if they are date sensitive, and allow you to search threads better. For example Feb 14/15 is linked to the Auckland 9's thread as you can see via the link below.
https://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/calendar/?month=02&year=2014

Facebook/Twitter/Google Registration / Invite Friends
If you link your account to your facebook and twitter accounts, you will be able to invite your friends to this forum via this functionality.
First things first, you need to link your facebook, twitter and google accounts.
upload_2014-1-30_14-11-23.png

Once you have linked that, click on Friend Inviter (also shown in the menu above) to select who of your friends to send an invite to. I will go into more detail if needed but its pretty self explanatory.

External Link Enhancements
Links to external sites will now show the favicon (image identifier) of the site being linked.
Examples are as below. You dont need to do anything, just type/paste the link.
upload_2014-1-30_13-59-33.png

upload_2014-1-30_14-2-33.png

Just a note, if you are going to copy and paste articles, put the article inside the Quote toolbar item along with a source of the link outside it. Please check that it looks fine to read after you have copied and pasted. It only takes a couple of extra seconds. If it still looks weird, report the post and ask the moderator to clean it up a bit.
upload_2014-1-30_14-3-39.png

Moderation Alerts
You will now receive alerts if your post was deleted or modified by a moderator. As always, if you need a moderator to modify your thread i.e. add polls, change title, report that thread explaining what you want changed. Additionally if you see offensive posts or posts that do not conform to the rules of the forum, report the posts.

Tipping Comp / Virtual Bookie Enhancements
oman will soon create a thread on the launch of the new tipping and bookie comps. All stats and NZW bookie balances will be reset. He will explain further soon.

Dark/Light Themes
For some the website is too light. For others its too dark. For some the text is too small. Well how bout you customise how you want the site to look like with a few clicks? You will be able to do that soon. This is an extremely time consuming process so i need some testers for this. If you would like to help, please send me a conversation.

Arcade
I dont think anyone plays the arcade games anymore (as it is buggy and the scores arent being saved for certain games). I will be removing that in the not too distant future. Does anyone object? It might make a return once its more stable. fanrrior fanrrior Inruin Inruin InsideBall it affects you guys the most i guess.

New Recent Posts/Threads Section at top of Forum List
Most would have probably noticed this by now. Will be styled better in coming days. This is faster loading, probably has more functions, user customisable on how many entries is shown, and most importantly removes a certain dependency.
upload_2014-1-30_18-45-46.png

Coming Soon
- You will be able to tag people in status updates or the ensuing comments.
- The editor that you use to post will slightly change and items be rearranged. A new spoiler functionality will also be provided.
- Probably a few other things that i cant recall/aren't that important right now.

Attachments

• upload_2014-1-30_12-24-17.png
    upload_2014-1-30_12-24-17.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Is fine by me. Might be an idea to bring the arcade back for limited time,. like on bye weeks or over offseason and run some sort of competition? just a thought. don't know how much is involved in doing that sort of thing. the site is awesome and has been constantly evolving and that is part of the appeal for me. Always seems to be something new.

Reactions: tajhay and oman

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
is there an autocorrect feature on the site? I type a sentence and when I reread it there are different words

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
im having a little trouble navigating the site-I figure this is due to a new feature? whats happening is that as I move my mouse around the site I am seeing a grab hand not a pointer. this means that to access this box to create a message I need to right hand click then right hand click again to remove the help bar so that I get a curser inside the box. Other wise I cant click in the box to write the message.

Ryan

Heritage Member
Apr 10, 2012
im having a little trouble navigating the site-I figure this is due to a new feature? whats happening is that as I move my mouse around the site I am seeing a grab hand not a pointer. this means that to access this box to create a message I need to right hand click then right hand click again to remove the help bar so that I get a curser inside the box. Other wise I cant click in the box to write the message.

Sounds like your mouse is on the fritz. Got a spare one to try? Or try setting your mouse OS settings back to default.

Reactions: tajhay

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
Does this happen only on this site or others as well? Also please do as Ryan Ryan suggested by resetting your mouse settings. If things dont get any better start a conversation with me. I will need more info such as your OS as well as your browser and version. I will not be supporting Internet Explorer at all until they get to a stage where they follow internet standards.

Reactions: Ryan

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
Another new feature that has been added is the ability to post comments on posts. Currently this is restricted to moderators and admins, however am willing to bring it into play for everyone if there is enough demand.

You can see it in action at the following URL - https://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/...nd-rumour-mill-2014.17103/page-39#post-423295

upload_2014-3-6_12-3-50.png

As you can see from the above example, myself and Hitman82 Hitman82 commented on the post by Mt Wellington rather than posting after it as what everyone is used to conventionally. Undecided as to whether just allow admins and moderators to use this to comment or clarify if post has been edited, or to explain that the post is offtopic etc rather than just deleting it. Basically be an informative comment.

The other option is to let everyone use it to comment on specific posts, as sometimes the post you might be referring to could be buried pages deep. But we already circumvent that by quoting the original post. Only concern i have is that we might get more of the low-value posts such as 'i agree', 'what he said', 'haha thats funny' etc type comments on the threads, which should be utilising the like system rather than a post. If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to let us know, which follows in line with the policy of the site to only post something that is worth while and of value to other members.

Also do note that you are not able to like a comment on a post, as you can do with posts.

Reactions: Harlz and wallacenz

Hitman82

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Wellington
You also can't edit your comments, from what I can tell?

Do you receive comment alerts?

My initial opinion is it's a handy tool for moderators to use to point out off topic banter or casually address posts which are trending into personal rubbish.

My initial concerns toward making it a public feature is the screen space that could get wasted by multiple "hardout bro" or "lol" type comments.

Probably worth mentioning there's no formatting available in the comments box - unless I just couldn't figure it out ;)

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
You also can't edit your comments, from what I can tell?
There is. Not sure if i gave you access to that but you should have it. (ill check)

Do you receive comment alerts?
Yes the original poster will get alerts that someone commented on their post.

My initial opinion is it's a handy tool for moderators to use to point out off topic banter or casually address posts which are trending into personal rubbish.
My initial concerns toward making it a public feature is the screen space that could get wasted by multiple "hardout bro" or "lol" type comments.
Agreed on both statements.

Probably worth mentioning there's no formatting available in the comments box - unless I just couldn't figure it out
Yeah there isnt, nor is there an ability to quote, put images etc. You can only add comments.

Reactions: Hitman82

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Great tool to explain things like off topic posts for admins but unless everyone who is watching the thread gets an alert then I personally would rather it wasnt available to everyone. I dont want to have to trawl back through pages and pages to see a comment. I feel the reply feature does that well enough. Just my 5 cents...

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
Great tool to explain things like off topic posts for admins but unless everyone who is watching the thread gets an alert then I personally would rather it wasnt available to everyone. I dont want to have to trawl back through pages and pages to see a comment. I feel the reply feature does that well enough. Just my 5 cents...
Agreed. And btw not everyone watching the thread would get the alert, it would only be sent to the person who created the post that someone had commented on it.

I think we will use it as Moderator Comments to clarify things.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Does this happen only on this site or others as well? Also please do as Ryan Ryan suggested by resetting your mouse settings. If things dont get any better start a conversation with me. I will need more info such as your OS as well as your browser and version. I will not be supporting Internet Explorer at all until they get to a stage where they follow internet standards.

ok was looking at the same thing on Chrome and it is working fine but still not working in IE so well put it down to a little update issue from MS.

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
Never seen this before. Went to like a post and this screen came up...
Are you on a slow connection? The only instance that would happen is if you quickly press 'Like' before the page has finished loading.

EDIT- or if your browsers javascript is turned off or your browser cannot handle javascript.

Reactions: mt.wellington

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings