Player Simon Mannering

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Whatever our thoughts Simon Mannering will go down in Warriors folklore as someone who opitimized and personified the very characteristics of a warrior. Tough as all fuck, undying, unflinching and always put the team first.

This comparison has been numerous times but he truly was leagues Ritchie McCaw. Unfortunately for most supporters who are inclined to judge a persons contribution based on highlight reels poor Mannering will never ever get the plaudits he deserves unlike his Rugby Union equivalent.

By the same token though you can't just be a tacklebot in league. Not these days. No position can just rely on a single facet of the game no matter how extraordinary you might be at it. If you want a tacklebot lock than I'd look at Micheal Luck over Mannering. If I'm being perfectly honest Mannering doesnt make my Warriors GOAT 17. This is where Mannering falls short.

I blame Ivan Cleary for training Mannerings pass and offload out of him. This is a view shared by many and not just of Mannering but that whole era of players. He was perfectly capable when he started at centre. It was painful to see him act like a deer in headlights when presented with a 3 on 4 overlap then instinctively wrap the ball up safely under his wing.

Im not sure where this misconception of Mannering being a great attacker came from but he wasn't that player for many years before retiring. As much of a fan of him as I am, even in my deepest alcohol induced blur could I ever make that statement as its just untrue. This is why as much power as he had with coaches he was almost always played at lock despite him favouring the edge.

All in all though Simon Mannering is a Warriors legend. A Kiwis legend. Quite possibly the only player that will ever play 300 games for our club. That alone will see him exalted by many a fan forever...

Reactions: 7 users
wizards rage

wizards rage

Whatever our thoughts Simon Mannering will go down in Warriors folklore as someone who opitimized and personified the very characteristics of a warrior. Tough as all fuck, undying, unflinching and always put the team first.

This comparison has been numerous times but he truly was leagues Ritchie McCaw. Unfortunately for most supporters who are inclined to judge a persons contribution based on highlight reels poor Mannering will never ever get the plaudits he deserves unlike his Rugby Union equivalent.

By the same token though you can't just be a tacklebot in league. Not these days. No position can just rely on a single facet of the game no matter how extraordinary you might be at it. If you want a tacklebot lock than I'd look at Micheal Luck over Mannering. If I'm being perfectly honest Mannering doesnt make my Warriors GOAT 17. This is where Mannering falls short.

I blame Ivan Cleary for training Mannerings pass and offload out of him. This is a view shared by many and not just of Mannering but that whole era of players. He was perfectly capable when he started at centre. It was painful to see him act like a deer in headlights when presented with a 3 on 4 overlap then instinctively wrap the ball up safely under his wing.

Im not sure where this misconception of Mannering being a great attacker came from but he wasn't that player for many years before retiring. As much of a fan of him as I am, even in my deepest alcohol induced blur could I ever make that statement as its just untrue. This is why as much power as he had with coaches he was almost always played at lock despite him favouring the edge.

All in all though Simon Mannering is a Warriors legend. A Kiwis legend. Quite possibly the only player that will ever play 300 games for our club. That alone will see him exalted by many a fan forever...
Sums him up perfectly - exceptional player that had the attributes to make him our Ritchie McCaw; but all round game mean he wouldn’t make the greatest Warriors 13.

Reactions: 1 user
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
personally i have always thought that the greatest warriors are yet to come. Well once Manu retired actually. But i still think it applies. Results are what will make them historical, and so far the Warriors hasnt had any.

fizurg

fizurg

Personally I think he would have made a better flanker in union. His huge motor and massive strength in the tackle would have seen him win many a turnover. Was tall enough to be a line out option too.

Reactions: 2 users