General Simon Mannering Becoming A True Captain.

sebastian_old

I thought Simon has gone up a level, lately. His leadership and form, has been great during our golden period.

That semi, he really lifted the boys, i thought. He spoke to the boys, tried to gee them up, when things were against us. Went straight to the ref when Inu scored, knowing the game was on the line. To make sure the ref checked.

Is Simon becoming a great captain?

bigstuboy_old

always had it in him. i think ever since he got given the captaincy his whole game improved and now he is questioning the refs more . to me he was the only suitable candidate for the role he's gunna be here forever and he is always gunna be in the starting lineup.

Jesbass_old

I think captaincy and leadership are incredibly difficult to judge from the outside, even though I've seen many fans write Mannering off as a bad captain. He definitely seems to be a man who leads from the front - that much is clear.

Ryno_old

He's been amazing.

I had my doubts at the start of the year and when the results werent going our way about him as a player and captain.

But when he went back into the backrow he has really gone into beast mode. His runs are good, his defense is amazing, and he's doing the little 2% ers everywhere. I still think he can go missing when times are tough and the boys need a rark up but I think he is learning how to do this.

Big ups to him anyways.

numbnutsnz_old

Early on when we were losing he was terrible. Looked totally lost, showed no leadership and was lucky to be in the team let alone captain. Since moving back to the second row he has lifted his game in every aspect. Perhaps someone had a chat to him or he sorted things out himself, but he has certainly become a leader and a potential premiership winning captain.

Fazz_old

Maybe more then anybody having a chat to him, he's just grown into the role. He repaying the club for their show of faith for sure. It's turned out to be a very good call. He looks to have gotten a lot more comfortable with talking to and questioning the refs now as well. The fact that his form has reeally picked up in the last few months doesn't hurt either.

Jesbass_old

He was saying himself on The League Fix that he feels like he's grown into the role throughout the season and is a lot more comfortable than he was this time last year. He also highlighted that early run of losses as the most challenging part of the season for him from a captain's perspective.

Fazz_old

You can tell with his performances too! Good to get it from the horses mouth though.

Spence_old

I like the bloke, always have, always will. I questioned his form earlier this year, but never his character. I, too, was unimpressed by how the club handled the change of captaincy. It took away what should have been a very special moment for both Mannering and the club. However, with all that behind, I'm looking forward to seeing him to continue develop. Who has the most caps for a captain, Mannerings pretty young, could he challange? Oh Cayless was made captain at a ridiculous age, like 20 or something, right?

Lego_Man_old

Although i initially questioned the decision, i have backed Simon for a long time. Was an inspired move by the club to give him the captaincy. My favourite part in the Tigers game was when we were getting shafted by the refs and he got up and just went nuts. I think he was just so pissed off that his intensity went through the roof, literally lifting the rest of the boys with him.

a.c.e_old

He was always going to get there its just great to watch it unfold. I thought he was plugged in 2yrs too early, but hes taken it on well.

Lego_Man_old

A couple of little things i love about him:

1. His beard.
2. When he's being interviewed, the way he takes exaggerated massive deep breaths before he answers a question.