General Simon im the Mannering

ToiletDuck_old

Simon is the Man. He is far and away our best centre. Surely now after him playing the whole game there against the Cowboys he'll stay. No disrespect to Gatis, but him missing the match was probably the best thing that could have happened.

Simon provides much needed go forward out wide, and draws more than one defender whenever he has the ball. He can also muscle up on D and actually prevent players running straight over the Ad line. Playing Lance at centre just to 'have him in the team somewhere' has passed its use by date. Keep Simon in the centres so he doesn't become another Vinnie 'I dont know if im a forward or a back' Anderson.

Simon is the Warriors Matt Cooper.

raypower_old

You could include Wairangi Koopu in the legions of the lost utility. I remember him ripping it up for a great try from centre at Campbeltown a couple of years back only for him to break his arm later in the match.

I drool in anticipation at an Ain't no party like a Jerome Ropati and an I'm the Mannering centres combo. Hotness and moisture will ensue. Oh yes there'll be rising damp.

Jesbass_old

If Hohaia's injury is too bad, I think Gatis may be back in the team at his expense. I expect Hohaia will be available, though.

Skinny_Ravs82

You could include Wairangi Koopu in the legions of the lost utility. I remember him ripping it up for a great try from centre at Campbeltown a couple of years back only for him to break his arm later in the match.

I drool in anticipation at an Ain't no party like a Jerome Ropati and an I'm the Mannering centres combo. Hotness and moisture will ensue. Oh yes there'll be rising damp.
LOL...erm...

Wiki_old

Jerome / Mannering combo would be amazing (in terms of playing skill mind you).

But I am also looking forward to a Ropati / Start combo.

sebastian_old

We've really suffered not having Mannering at centre the last couple of weeks before the Cowboys game, he's just outstanding at centre & musn't be moved now he reminded Cleary last Sunday just how much class in attack & defense he brings to centre. Unless Hohaia's injured i think Gatis should be the one to miss out, he's form was rearly dropping & without him in the team we had our best game of the year.

Skinny_Ravs82

While I'm inclined to agree Simon has had some fantastic games at center, I'm not sure if the coaching staff see it in similar fashion. I'd like to think they do

Jesbass_old

While I'm inclined to agree Simon has had some fantastic games at center, I'm not sure if the coaching staff see it in similar fashion. I'd like to think they do

When he named the team for round one, Cleary stated that Mannering was only in the backrow to cover injuries, because Lawrie wasn't ready at that time, and Koopu was out with injury. He also said he hoped it would only be a short term thing - that sounds to me like he definitely thinks Mannering's best position at the present time is in the centres, and I'm inclined to agree.