Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fucking Fisher-Harris baby! (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
I’m just a punter with a penchant for lyrical gangsterism……I was on the loo where I do most of my business and it just popped into my head. I thought of it before I saw it anywhere else & posted it here asap…. just sayin’ 🤷🏽
You wouldn't be the first man to do some of his best thinking in the lav. I reckon if all the science labs and boardrooms in the world had been toilet cubicles, society would be a hundred years more advanced than it is today. (That's an idea I just came up with while sitting on the lav.)

You wouldn't be the first man to do some of his best thinking in the lav. I reckon if all the science labs and boardrooms in the world had been toilet cubicles, society would be a hundred years more advanced than it is today. (That's an idea I just came up with while sitting on the lav.)
I was sitting in a toilet cubicle "doing my business", when suddenly the guy in the one next to me said: "Hey man, how are you doing?".

A little confused I replied: "Umm, good, I guess."

To my surprise the guy continued with: "What ya doin'?"

Despite being even more confused I manage to mumble: "Oh. umm. I guess the same as you."

Without any hesitation in his voice he said: "Cool. Do you want me to come over and help you out?"

A bit scared, I replied as firmly as I could: "Hey man, I really appreciate the offer and all, but I am not into that kinda stuff and I’m almost done......”

And before I could finish my sentence the guy said: "Hang on a minute El Chuckie, there’s this weird guy in the cubicle next to me, who is replying to eveything I say."
IMG_7879.jpeg

I was sitting in a toilet cubicle "doing my business", when suddenly the guy in the one next to me said: "Hey man, how are you doing?".

A little confused I replied: "Umm, good, I guess."

To my surprise the guy continued with: "What ya doin'?"

Despite being even more confused I manage to mumble: "Oh. umm. I guess the same as you."

Without any hesitation in his voice he said: "Cool. Do you want me to come over and help you out?"

A bit scared, I replied as firmly as I could: "Hey man, I really appreciate the offer and all, but I am not into that kinda stuff and I’m almost done......”

And before I could finish my sentence the guy said: "Hang on a minute El Chuckie, there’s this weird guy in the cubicle next to me, who is replying to eveything I say."
View attachment 4750
Pretty sure I've seen that statue in our trophy cabinet.

Anyone miss Nathan Bwhan as our coach?
We should alway ask any player we're looking to recruit or retain "Wha'd you wahnna achieve at the Wahs?"
Shihad or Alien Weaponry need to record a new version of the Anti-Nowhere League's "So What" and make it "So Wah" and make the lyrics about smashing them other NRL teams...

Makes sense why they pulled out of chasing AFB. Wonder if bulldogs join the dragons and sharks again? Wonder if Luai is for 2024 or 2025 also?

Just screams of desperation. Jerome will be 28 before he even plays a game for them (assuming it's 2025), and 5 years means they'll be paying him 1.2mil in 2029 in his final year when he turns 32.
Absolute madness for a non organising half.

Players like Api, Luai, and Kikau are all good players who are more 'the icing on top of the cake'. They'll have one or two flashy plays a game and will win you a match every now and then off their own back, but they're not going to perform for you week in/week out to get you in to the finals. It's hard to have the icing when the cake itself (Tigers/Dogs) is a pile of shit lol.

Penrith are smart and have kept players like Cleary, Edwards, To'o, Yeo and Fisher-Harris who you're able to built a team around. Those players lay the platform for what Penrith want to do, and players like Api, Luai and Kikau are the ones who benefit from that. Will be really interesting to see how Jerome goes, I can't wait for him to get heckled and laughed at when he can't do shit with the team they have

Have the clubs that have been chasing him mentioned the role they see him playing. At the Panthers he's been the guy that has helped the main guy get them around the field or has benefited off the work others have done getting the team around the field.

Have they chased him to guide them around the field?
Or has it been more as he's the main half on the market and they need a high profile half to build their side around. A bit of FOMO.

Will he attract other players to the club? It will take a few more to turn them around along with development.
One advantage they have is being in Sydney players relocating isn't as big a deal as inter state or across countries. So they can trade their way out of trouble if they work their cap right. An issue they have had in the past.

Have the clubs that have been chasing him mentioned the role they see him playing. At the Panthers he's been the guy that has helped the main guy get them around the field or has benefited off the work others have done getting the team around the field.

Have they chased him to guide them around the field?
Or has it been more as he's the main half on the market and they need a high profile half to build their side around. A bit of FOMO.

Will he attract other players to the club? It will take a few more to turn them around along with development.
One advantage they have is being in Sydney players relocating isn't as big a deal as inter state or across countries. So they can trade their way out of trouble if they work their cap right. An issue they have had in the past.
I think they've bought him because as you mention he's probably the biggest name half on the market at the moment. While I think Luai is a good player in the right system, he doesn't really seem a gamebreaker. I'd rather have Dearden over Luai tbh.

Wests Tigers close in on Jarome Luai with multimillion dollar deal | Daily Telegraph​

Jarome Luai has made the biggest call of his NRL career to leave premiers Penrith – and potentially join the Wests Tigers.
The Daily Telegraph can reveal an emotional Luai informed Penrith head coach Ivan Cleary and his teammates of his intention to leave at the end of next season at training on Saturday morning.

Luai’s decision has triggered increasing confidence within the Wests Tigers camp that they can secure one of the biggest signings in their history on a five-year deal worth $6 million.

Rugby league was awash with rumours on Friday night that Penrith superstar Jarome Luai was poised to agree a monstrous deal with the Tigers as early Saturday morning, although sources close to the talks insist no deal has been done.

Rival suitor Canterbury have been told they remain in contention, while there is a suggestion a third club have also weighed-in with a significant offer.

The Tigers are the clear frontrunner after talks advanced to a significant level over the 48-hours.

Penrith superstar Jarome Luai is believed to be edging closer to a call on his long-term playing future. Credit: NRL Images.Credit: NRL Images.

Penrith superstar Jarome Luai is believed to be edging closer to a call on his long-term playing future. Credit: NRL Images.Credit: NRL Images.
The Tigers have tabled a monster $1.2 million per-season deal for Luai. The electric playmaker would be 32 years old in the final year of the deal.

Under the NRL’s new guidelines, Penrith would have 10 days to respond once Luai has agreed to accept an offer from the Tigers or any other club.

The Tigers, having undergone a major overhaul earlier this week with thedeparture of their chair Lee Hagipantelis and chief executive Justin Pascoe,appear on course to pip the Bulldogs to Luai after tabling a monstrous multimillion dollar bid.

Penrith have also tabled a two-year extension to keep Luai but their offer was well short of the bids by the Tigers and Bulldogs.

Coach Benji Marshall has taken a personal interest in his pursuit, making it a priority for the club. Interim chief executive Shane Richardson has also intensified his focus on Luai, a player he has coveted since his time at South Sydney.

Luai is believed to have edged closer to a call over the past 24 hour, having held further talks with people close to the clubs pursuing his signature.

The Tigers backed off moves for Addin Fonua-Blake and Justin Olam to focus on Luai and his decision could have ramifications for both those players.

Fonua-Blake is also in the sights of Cronulla and St George Illawarra while the Storm remain open to Olam’s departure, having decided to move in another direction.

Olam is expected to start the season well down the pecking order in Melbourne if he stays, hence the Tigers’ initial interest in bringing him to Sydney.

Wests Tigers interim chief Shane Richardson is backing a push to sign Jarome Luai. Picture: David Swift

Wests Tigers interim chief Shane Richardson is backing a push to sign Jarome Luai. Picture: David Swift
They shifted their attention after failing to strike a deal and it has fallen squarely on Luai as he ponders his future. No club has more to gain from his decision than the Tigers, who are in the midst of a transition after the independent review into club governance recommended wholesale changes at the very top of the club.

Meanwhile, the architects of the most dramatic overhaul in Wests Tigers history have sung the praises of departed chair Lee Hagipantelis and chief executive Justin Pascoe.

Consultants Tony Crawford and Gary Barnier made more than 40 recommendations after interviewing key personnel at the club and across the game.

The most significant changes involved the departure of Pascoe and Hagipantelis. This masthead was interviewed as part of the review and received an email from Crawford and Barnier on Saturday outlining the impact Hagipantelis and Pascoe had on the club.

Crawford and Barnier also showered praise on the Tigers shareholders - the Holman Barnes, Wests Magpies and Balmain Tigers - for voting in favour of a majority independent board.

Chair Lee Hagipantelis and chief executive Justin Pascoe were both pushed out the door at the Tigers. Picture: Ian Hitchcock/Getty Images

Chair Lee Hagipantelis and chief executive Justin Pascoe were both pushed out the door at the Tigers. Picture: Ian Hitchcock/Getty Images
“By doing so they have put the interests of Wests Tiger ahead of their own,” they said.

“This is a courageous decision, which we believe will serve the club well.”

Amid talk that Hagipantelis could look to end his major sponsorship given his criticism of the review and key figures, Crawford and Barnier said his contribution to the club as the major sponsor remained important.

Crawford and Barnier said Pascoe left an immense legacy at the Tigers.

“Justin’s decision to also put the club first was selfless,” he said.

“Justin’s legacy will undoubtedly be the Centre of Excellence at Concord. Justin drove this project with great determination and this facility will serve the club for many years.”

That original Twitter announcement is jumping the gun a bit.

Yes it sounds like he will likely go there (Tigers) but if you read the article the current status is he's decided he will be leaving the Panthers.

It is understandable with offers to stay vs what he'll get if he will leave. He's likely thinking a change of scenery will be nice especially with the money being offered.

The main thing with going to the Tigers. He'll sign as Benji is the coach and taken an interest in him, gone over plans. There is no guarantee Benji will see out 2024 if you look at their last 5 year plan.