Social tech, that the nrl choses not to use

gREVUS

Contributor
i caught this show talking about special effects used in real time in american sports.
ive long been critical of the nrl for ignoring useful tech and treating the fans like idiots when they claim the bunker gives perfect results.
this video while a bit of fun and interesting in showing what americans can see, highlights what we are missing out on. the worst of it is, a lot of the tech shown is already in use on the pitch. the gps on the players, the camera mapping to put adds on grass etc.
anyway watch the vid, think about those forward passes that we all see that are invisible to the ref, the offside plays, the fake 10 meters etc and just how easy it would be to accurately make those impossible calls
enjoy

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qkWWcjeL_zM&pp=ygUNY29ycmlkb3IgY3Jldw%3D%3D

i caught this show talking about special effects used in real time in american sports.
ive long been critical of the nrl for ignoring useful tech and treating the fans like idiots when they claim the bunker gives perfect results.
this video while a bit of fun and interesting in showing what americans can see, highlights what we are missing out on. the worst of it is, a lot of the tech shown is already in use on the pitch. the gps on the players, the camera mapping to put adds on grass etc.
anyway watch the vid, think about those forward passes that we all see that are invisible to the ref, the offside plays, the fake 10 meters etc and just how easy it would be to accurately make those impossible calls
enjoy

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qkWWcjeL_zM&pp=ygUNY29ycmlkb3IgY3Jldw%3D%3D

I've thought for a long time that forward passes should be able to be reviewed using a digital line across the field from point of release.

It is like some of the technology becomes in vogue and then goes away as they decide they prefer some others. Sure you can't use all of them as you flood the viewers with information, some of it redundant.

I have always liked the break down of plays they would do before games. Using the graphics to show the pass options, possible hole runners or where they are aiming kicks. It would be good to have more of this during the game instead of before or during the week during shows like the Matty Johns Podcast. It would need to be during breaks or after tries as not to interfere with the game. Would also need to swap out some of the commentators as some can only comment on what is in front of them or do jokes.

Some of those tracking animations in that video would be useful. Animate a teams sets so you see where they start and where move the ball.

Most of the technology we get seems to be for the sponsors or to show the score. They also seem to be more during the bigger games which I understand but with the higher broadcast deals they could use it to make the games during the year seem like bigger events.

It does have to be balanced though as if you make the broadcast so good people won't go to the grounds. So the the question can also be flipped to the improvements to the game day experience. I know you can sports ears and things now but you'd expect soon there will be wifi at the grounds and an app for the coverage or some other technology at the ground.

It does have to be balanced though as if you make the broadcast so good people won't go to the grounds.
Other sports will, so you need to go for best possible experience for all viewing types.

Netball has just had their revenue halved in a proposed new sky sport negotiation. Potentially death of the competition because the numbers don’t stack up.

As sports viewing options explode (eg woman’s NRL, woman’s cricket, minor sports looking for exposure, etc) I think the market will be saturated and revenue could pull back on the sports that don’t prioritise views (I’m looking at union here as well!). The salary cap in the NRL might even pull back over time?

I've thought for a long time that forward passes should be able to be reviewed using a digital line across the field from point of release.
They always argued that due to forward momentum it was not possible to do this. The vid shows that the computer knows the players forward momentum and could easily calculate the balls position respectively to get accurate calls on review.

Other sports will, so you need to go for best possible experience for all viewing types.

Netball has just had their revenue halved in a proposed new sky sport negotiation. Potentially death of the competition because the numbers don’t stack up.

As sports viewing options explode (eg woman’s NRL, woman’s cricket, minor sports looking for exposure, etc) I think the market will be saturated and revenue could pull back on the sports that don’t prioritise views (I’m looking at union here as well!). The salary cap in the NRL might even pull back over time?
I just finished watching a thing about grass vs artificial turf fields. In it they talked about how sports is the true growth sector of the entertainment economy. I think that with the demise of tv and movies. The oversaturation of streaming and the repetition of computer gaming. A new live, unpredictable entertainment will do well at least in the short term.

Btw. The vid I watched was about the increase of non contact injuries due to playing on turf. An increase of over 20 percent in the nfl

Btw. The vid I watched was about the increase of non contact injuries due to playing on turf. An increase of over 20 percent in the nfl
I read a report years ago about goal keepers getting an in increase in cancer from sliding on artificial turf. Some of the turf is made from recycled tyres.

Don’t know if it’s still the case or there been more recent research?

The ‘Yellow line’ to keep a consistent 10m seems like a no brainer, the technology is 25 years old you’d think it’d be easy enough to develop.
The other one that interested me is the rfid on the players and ball, would clean up a lot of offside/ forward passes surely?

The ‘Yellow line’ to keep a consistent 10m seems like a no brainer, the technology is 25 years old you’d think it’d be easy enough to develop.
The other one that interested me is the rfid on the players and ball, would clean up a lot of offside/ forward passes surely?
I worry about Wayde Egan's flat passes if they introduce this, but it would stop the Broncos cheating their way into GFs so fair's fair.

There is very little tech I would support being added.

Definitely no interest in forward pass technology and really I don't think it's needed. No pass should be ruled forward if not obvious to the naked eye.

All most of us want are obvious forward passes ruled on review. (2 matches v Broncos this season)

Best tech they could introduce would be lines on the field for marginal offside

There is very little tech I would support being added.

Definitely no interest in forward pass technology and really I don't think it's needed. No pass should be ruled forward if not obvious to the naked eye.

All most of us want are obvious forward passes ruled on review. (2 matches v Broncos this season)

Best tech they could introduce would be lines on the field for marginal offside
all i want is that when a review is done, by challenge or by scoring that the NRL use everything available to get it right. Claiming that the bunker is the best and they wont rule on obvious forward passes that are somehow missed by every official at the ground isnt good enough. Especially when it seems to affect some teams disproportionately.
They spend all this time training to penalise players before the game is played, this creates a bias while the game is underway, so taking back some of the impartiality, with the use of tech seems a no brainer to me.

all i want is that when a review is done, by challenge or by scoring that the NRL use everything available to get it right. Claiming that the bunker is the best and they wont rule on obvious forward passes that are somehow missed by every official at the ground isnt good enough. Especially when it seems to affect some teams disproportionately.
They spend all this time training to penalise players before the game is played, this creates a bias while the game is underway, so taking back some of the impartiality, with the use of tech seems a no brainer to me.

I'm more coming from a practicality point of view.

I have no faith the NRL could successfully implement that sort of tech and use it properly.

It would also be a case of creating more problems that it solves when balls that don't look forward are called forward.

We are still waiting to hear whether they will rule on blatant passes next season following the Reece Walsh incident. That in itself would be a major step forward

I'm more coming from a practicality point of view.

I have no faith the NRL could successfully implement that sort of tech and use it properly.

It would also be a case of creating more problems that it solves when balls that don't look forward are called forward.

We are still waiting to hear whether they will rule on blatant passes next season following the Reece Walsh incident. That in itself would be a major step forward
But see your example is exactly why the use of these technologies would make the game better. Also these are real time tech. Instant one look reviews that are definitive. No more long drawn out reviews of mundane things. It wouldnt solve all issues but would quell some of the more blatant oversights by nrl officials

Last edited:
edited above to change would to wouldnt, changes the whole point of my argument.

Back