Rumour Shaun Wane to NZ Warriors in 2015

My first point wasn't meant as a comparison between McLennan and Wane, Super League coaches or not, just an observation about RidingPie's comment about a new coach blowing away cobwebs and how that didn't work for 2012.

If Wane is already being lined up as coach for 2015, if I was Elliott I'd be somewhat tempted to quit now...No, take that back, I would quit now, knowing that however I did in 2014 I was going to have to relocate in 2015. And (if the rumours about player discontent are true), player discontent and the attendant disrespect will just grow legs if everyone knows I'm a dead man walking before the first 80m of the NRL season....

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
My first point wasn't meant as a comparison between McLennan and Wane, Super League coaches or not, just an observation about RidingPie's comment about a new coach blowing away cobwebs and how that didn't work for 2012.

If Wane is already being lined up as coach for 2015, if I was Elliott I'd be somewhat tempted to quit now...No, take that back, I would quit now, knowing that however I did in 2014 I was going to have to relocate in 2015. And (if the rumours about player discontent are true), player discontent and the attendant disrespect will just grow legs if everyone knows I'm a dead man walking before the first 80m of the NRL season....
But if Elliot is moving up the ladder to a higher position why would he quit now?

Reactions: 2 users
Looking at the LeagueLive App on my mobile; there is an article that Wane has agreed to a new deal with Wigan.

Not sure on the length but it looks like he has done a handshake deal with their Chairman while they are away in America preparing for the World Club Challenge.

Reactions: 1 user

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Wigan coach Shaun Wane is set to commit his future to the Super League champions.Wane's current contract ends this year and he has been linked with a move to the NRL with New Zealand Warriors, where he would be reunited with Sam Tomkins.But Wane has confirmed that he has verbally agreed a new contract with Ian Lenagan and all that remains is for him to put pen to paper."I had a chat with Ian in America and we've agreed a long-term contract but it's not been signed yet," Wane said at the club's pre-season media day at Orrell."I want to stay here for the next few years but I want to better myself, and if I can do that elsewhere, then it's exciting, going to the NRL. It's something I want to do."Wane also admitted that he would one day like to coach England, and has an eye on the job for the British & Irish Lions which the RFL is expected to reform for a tour of Australia in 2015."I would love to," he said. "I know I can offer something to the job if it ever became available. Obviously they are fixed up at the minute with Steve but you never know what's around the corner.Patriotic"I am very patriotic. I love my club and I love my country and, if ever I got the chance, it would be fantastic."Meanwhile Wane is bullish about Wigan's prospects in this season's Super League following a successful training camp in Florida."The lads have come in really focused and intent on making sure we are better than last year," he said."We didn't win the league leaders' shield and we lost seven of our last nine Super League games."I just thought we lacked a bit of consistency and we took our eye off the ball a bit, travelling to places like Wakefield for instance."I know the reasons for that and we have fixed that. All pre-season we have been working on fixing it."It's going be more competitive this year - Salford have made some great signings - and, with us winning the double, people are going to raise their game when they come to us."That's going to be good for us because we need to be on the ball more."https://www1.skysports.com/rugby-le...-set-to-sign-new-contract-with-wigan-warriors

Well that's very interesting. Makes you wonder who we'll go after should Elliot fail again this year. Elliot only signed a two year deal so if we miss the 8 again you'd have to think he won't be with us next year.

I'm quite glad about this news, all that said though, nailing staff down to a long term deal is typical Ian Lenegan. Do you think when Sam signed his 5 year contract (a little over 2 years ago) we all thought he'd stay 5 years, of course there were one or two people who genuinely thought he would but most of us realised that with the NRL cap going up and its club being awash with cash that it was not a realistic prospect. The long term deal means that contracts have to be bought out instead of letting players/staff go for free. I see this as protecting the club first and foremost.

That said, my personal feeling was that Wane probably needs a couple more years before he goes to the NRL. In his first season he made some mistakes, which it was great to see he corrected in the second. It will be interesting to see where he goes from here, he hasn't had a stable team for multiple years, whether its this seasons loss of Tomkins, Richards, Mossop, or last seasons Tommy L, Finch and Hock (and the rumour is that Green is returning to Aus at the end of this year... I'd love to have a stable halfback combination for a few years!).

Reactions: 1 user