Rumour Shaun Wane to NZ Warriors in 2015

I dont see the point in Elliott being replaced. Is he our actual coach or just keeping Shauns seat warm? Rather see Elliott implement his vision and if he fails then fuck him off...
Yeah this idea of a 'football manager' irritates me a bit, its just adding bureaucracy which will lead to more people pointing the finger if things go wrong. If the Panthers fail I'm sure Gould will just blame Cleary so what does Gould add to the club? Cleary would be responsible no matter what. It would just be another level to blame between the coach and Scurrah imo.

We've not heard anything more than you, with the only real note on the subject being that Shaun's wife went over to NZ with Sam's mum (my god that sounds weird reading it back).

If Shaun does come to you (I'll be disappointed) there's a couple of points to note.
  • Wigan wrestle less under Wane than we did under Maguire.
  • You team will have the hardest pre-season ever.
  • He's a very structured coach (as Sup42 mentioned... very similar to Melbourn)
  • There are never excuses for players having off games
  • Players get dropped regardless of who they are if they are out of form and a junior in their position is ready for the step up
  • All the players in the wigan structure (juniors to first team) really respect Wane and would run through walls for him

Will it happen? Who knows? I guess we'll see but I'll be less confident of Wigan's chances without him

And may I say those are big bullet points

Did Leuluai ever play under Wane as a head coach? Would be interested to know what he thought of Wane as a coach, if he had, especially considering the rumours of what he thinks about Elliott...

He played under Wane as first team coach!

I've not seen any comments from Leuluai, but then I haven't followed him as much since he left!

Surely they wouldn't be so stupid as to decide Elliott's for the chop before his second season? By all means, have Wane on speed-dial, ticket and bags ready if things get seriously dire but...geezus pleeeezus...

The only way the move for Wane would make sense was if Elliott's move to a director of rugby position was planned and wanted by him.

I know the mole has suggested that its not necessarily as coach but I can't see another position he could fill. It would be a bit too much of a come down from coaching the English double Champions to being an assistant coach in the NRL (I know McBanana has but see my comments on him in any England threads before we played to know my view on him... here's a clue... its not good). Maybe Wane as director of rugby to put similar structures in place as Wigan have, but really I can't see another role for him but coach.

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
Thanks, Riding Pie

Wane's strengths seem to be the Warriors weaknesses. I'd love to see a hard nut get the Warriors gig, especially if he has the balance of being able to manage relationships too

• You team will have the hardest pre-season ever.
this is obviously debatable,but i dont buy into it......im quite confident that if the Wigan lads had a pre-season down here in this weather,it would be thier hardest EVER

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with that Nahz in regards to hardest preseason ever, every year almost every insider/player in every team makes that statement, especially when they change clubs and then every year a couple of teams always get accused of coming in under done.

I can live with this director-of-football gig for Elliott with the right coach taking over. Wasn't it talked about right from the start? Elliott has the technical skills, and the strategic mind, but appears to lack the people skills to keep his team focused long term. So a directors role with the right staff to push his vision could be good.

As long as he doesn't end up another Phil Gould.

With regards to the preseason, as evidence I'll hold up the grand final. We basically won by being the fittest team. Something we've been for the last 3 years. Last season he had the team cage fighting. In fairness that's slightly tamer than Maguire did. He cancelled warm weather training and sent the team to the far north of Scotland to do training with the SAS. (The north of Scotland in winter is bloody cold! Apparently they were in tents with drill sergeants getting them up throughout the night at random times for exhaustive drills) at the time the boys really needed to bond as a team though and I think that was a big part.

While some of this may be down to Bitcon our finess trainer Wane REALLY likes to beast his players. (PS please don't take Bitcon as well)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sup42
With regards to the preseason, as evidence I'll hold up the grand final. We basically won by being the fittest team. Something we've been for the last 3 years. Last season he had the team cage fighting. In fairness that's slightly tamer than Maguire did. He cancelled warm weather training and sent the team to the far north of Scotland to do training with the SAS. (The north of Scotland in winter is bloody cold! Apparently they were in tents with drill sergeants getting them up throughout the night at random times for exhaustive drills) at the time the boys really needed to bond as a team though and I think that was a big part.

While some of this may be down to Bitcon our finess trainer Wane REALLY likes to beast his players. (PS please don't take Bitcon as well)
You just can't beat that SAS training , they get inside.
Training in the cold is worse than the heat. The cold kills you quickly of course.
We should be using the SAS if they are available for our team building. Gym trainers are notoriously tough people , SAS trainers know a lot about killing people quietly.

I'll take the Fitness trainers any day of the week.

Reactions: RidingPie

well theres a balance to some degree then,weather hot or cold pending on what climates one fairly immune too or not....and for what its worth will make this Warriors/Wigan match coming up a tad more interesting

Reactions: Sup42
wouldnt the Wigan side have one of the strongest personall on paper in the ESL comp,if not the strongest prior to any pre-season training anyway?

That Wigan side didn't... ish. The season before we'd finished 6th (I think) and most fans of other teams thought we'd over achieved. At the time we were viewed as a spent force. OK we had Sam Tomkins but many people still thought Kyle Eastmond would be the better player. The players we had in then only NOW look impressive. The years before they'd looked average (again with the exception of Tomkins who always looked a star) and we were only two years ahead of our famous relegation scrap.

Reactions: Harlz