Rumour Shaun Wane to NZ Warriors in 2015

The rumor that the Wigan coach will replace Elliot has popped up again today. Sounds like it will happen next year. Prepare for another rebuilding phase

Peter Peters just talked about it on radio sport, they are trying to call the Warriors now

His sources at Wigan say its a done deal
Peters gets up my nose. Radio sport love him , he's not shy of a dig or three at the New Zealand game , still he's in the Sydney inner circle.

Was Peters talking about 2014 0r 2015 ? apologies for asking , January of the new year is a time this year and next year are still fluid concepts in conversation.

Peters gets up my nose. Radio sport love him , he's not shy of a dig or three at the New Zealand game , still he's in the Sydney inner circle.

Was Peters talking about 2014 0r 2015 ? apologies for asking , January of the new year is a time this year and next year are still fluid concepts in conversation.
Well supposedly Wane is contracted at Wigan this year (2014) so it has to be next year (2015)

Reactions: Sup42
The bit I heard was saying 2015, but Elliot to stay on as Football manager. Something about the deal with Tomkins was getting his coach a job as well.

Seems a bit strange - you'd have thought they'd have learned their lesson with Bluey :confused:

Though if it is true - it speaks volumes about Tomkins as a player, the kind of guy you'd move halfway around the world just to coach ;)

Last edited:
The bit I heard was saying 2015, but Elliot to stay on as Football manager. Something about the deal with Tomkins was getting his coach a job as well.

Seems a bit strange - you'd have thought they'd have learned their lesson with Bluey :confused:

Though if it is true - it speaks volume about Tomkins as a player, the kind of guy you'd move halfway around the world just to coach ;)
I bet it's going to be a rumor the Warriors management drag out all year now, just like Tomkins recruitment

This story grew Legs at the Wigan end very Quickly after Sams signing was rumored.

The threat at that end was perceived as real.Can we have a Shaun Wayne thread to invite comments from Wigan supporters in the rumor genre ?

Addit : cheers Wallace

Last edited:
Been listening to Radio sport cheers Wallace. Back on Elliot...the rumor says he gets a director of football role.

That's smart if it suits Matt , and why wouldn't a secure job as Foot balling director not suit him ,(Bell has talked about retiring......no in an official capacity...just made comments to fans ) the two might not be linked.......Bell is manager of Football operations is he not ? something different.

tajhay

🏉
RidingPie RidingPie Kittwazzer Kittwazzer Josie Andrews Have you Wigan Fans heard anything lately on this?

I understand the Riversiders* are having their first meeting of the year on the 21st of the month and Wane will be present. Could one of you guys going please ask? :)

* For us NZW fans, the Riversiders is a Wigan Warriors Fan collective who have regular meetings with coaches, players and staff from the team. I love how the Wigan Warriors embrace their fanbase.

Reactions: gREVUS and Sup42
Marshthedarsh said:

Seems a bit strange - you'd have thought they'd have learned their lesson with Bluey attachFull8194

Though if it is true - it speaks volumes about Tomkins as a player, the kind of guy you'd move halfway around the world just to coach attachFull8195

...............................................................................................................................................
Bluey and Shaun Wanes Coaching style are chalk and Cheese. Bluey was / is an attacking coach , secound phase footy fan.....forward intimidation I( traditionally that's what he built his wins on pre Warriors ).

Wigan are a Melbourne Storm clone ( no disrespect intended ) they wrestle well , they are ultra structured , ultra disciplined , and they favor the Storms out the back plays to the Full back ( remains to be seen how this pans out without Tomkins....but Bowen if he stays fit would suit the bill for them ).

Wigan Fans would be the ones to ask about Wane obviously , but from what i saw of them this year, they are fit like Melbourne , they are regimented , they go to what works for them time and again till it wins them the game.

Look at what Maguire took to Souths.

Same Coaching Systems. Shaun Wane is tough they say , he is smart , and his teams grind the other sides down ( that's what they did in both Grand finals last year , ground their opponents , choked the life out of them ).[DOUBLEPOST=1389837703][/DOUBLEPOST]Tommy L and Tomkins have both been quoted in the Media talking about how strict things are run at Wigan.......

Hoodies out Ties and number ones in ?

Attachments

• upload_2014-1-16_14-56-26.png
    upload_2014-1-16_14-56-26.png
    95 bytes · Views: 4
  • upload_2014-1-16_14-56-26.png
    upload_2014-1-16_14-56-26.png
    95 bytes · Views: 4
Last edited:
Sydney Morning Herald League writer Micheal Chammas wrote back in November last year :

"It was the wife of Wigan coach Shaun Wane, who travelled with Tomkins' mother to Auckland in July, who helped lure the English international to New Zealand and away from her husband's grasp.

But perhaps the major factor in the pursuit of Tomkins' signature was the influence of Warriors general manager of football operations Dean Bell, who was on the Wigan coaching staff when Tomkins was in the club's youth academy.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/new-zealand-warriors-win-sam-tomkins-prized-signature-thanks-to-mums-blessing-20131101-2wrml.html#ixzz2qWp7wa9c

Inruin

Contributor
I can't see any problem here. It has been pretty widely accepted (without being confirmed) that ME was looking at a director of football role and that the 2 years was a rebuilding/preparation type thing. If this rumour is true it is a pretty good outcome for the club. I think ME is on the right track, if he stays as coach then I'm happy. If Shaun Wane is taking over in 2015 we are getting (on the face of it) a pretty good replacement and another opportunity for fresh ideas. We also get a team that can't play up because the coach is leaving as he will still be here as well. Should be a fairly smooth transition and hopefully move us even closer to a more professional outfit.

RidingPie RidingPie Kittwazzer Kittwazzer *For us NZW fans, the Riversiders is a Wigan Warriors Fan collective who have regular meetings with coaches, players and staff from the team. I love how the Wigan Warriors embrace their fanbase.

I'd like a meeting system like that - but obviously for the enjoyment of everyone/so things don't get nasty I imagine there'd need to be fairly stringent guidelines for here - ie the number of times each fan can use the c word, throw rotten vegetables at the same player, no torching of cars..

Last edited by a moderator: