Player Shaun Johnson

Keary will only leave the Roosters if he's going to retire. Say what you want about the club and Politis, but they look after their old boys. Cordner, Friend, and Keary will be next. No way they will cut him unless he requests (why would he).

I agree though, Volkman with Metcalf as 6 next year is way too slim, especially experience wise if Shaun retires (which I think he will TBH). Off contract next year below;

FIVE-EIGHTH

Matt Frawley, Ben Hampton, Lachlan Lam, Matt Moylan, Hayze Perham, Jaeman Salmon, Billy Walters

7 players off contract

HALFBACK

Phoenix Crossland, Kurt Falls, Cooper Johns, Albert Kelly, Jock Madden, Anthony Milford, Sean O'Sullivan, Brandon Wakeham, Sam Williams

Hate to say it, but Matt Moylan is probably top of the list, with O'Sullivan and maybe Milford. We would have to wait until November and go for an early release on these guys;

FIVE-EIGHTH

Dylan Brown, Tyson Gamble, Jackson Hastings, Adam Keighran, Kurt Mann, Cameron Munster, Paul Turner, Cody Walker

8 players off contract

HALFBACK

Jakob Arthur, Bailey Biondi-Odo, Luke Brooks, Jake Clifford, Adam Clune, Kyle Flanagan, Ben Hunt, Drew Hutchison, Lachlan Ilias, Shaun Johnson, Lachlan Miller, Kodi Nikorima, Cory Paix, Jonah Pezet, Brad Schneider, Blake Taaffe, Braydon Trindall, Sam Walker, Tyran Wishart

I think Hunt will be up for grabs November potentially, he would be 33 next year and looking for a final couple seasons. Dragons haven't gone far with him, but he is a controlling experienced 7. Could be worth it for the right price.

Throwing the sink at Brown is another option, but he won't be released. I don't think he would offer value being a true 6, when we need a commander. Maybe Volkman will be that guy.
Jackson Hastings is a leader and would be a great half for the next 4 years and if we could put Walsh at 6 and get a good fullback, what a side that would be!

Reactions: 1 users
Benji raises some good points.

A few points to argue against it. Johnson himself said he wanted to come back and lead the side around the field seeing as he was more experienced. Also, his strength was his running game, which is pretty much non-existent now. Changing the jersey or his role isn't going to dramatically change that. A lot of these guys are still thinking of the younger version, age and injuries have changed him.

At Cronulla, he was good at getting guys into space due to the threat of his running and his ball playing. His kicking was also a lot better. He also had better structures around him which fall back on coaching and the overall squad.

At the moment we look to be banking on him getting back to Auckland and his family to turn around his form. If it does great, secondly if it works, how long will that last?

Reactions: 3 users

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Benji raises some good points.

A few points to argue against it. Johnson himself said he wanted to come back and lead the side around the field seeing as he was more experienced. Also, his strength was his running game, which is pretty much non-existent now. Changing the jersey or his role isn't going to dramatically change that. A lot of these guys are still thinking of the younger version, age and injuries have changed him.

At Cronulla, he was good at getting guys into space due to the threat of his running and his ball playing. His kicking was also a lot better. He also had better structures around him which fall back on coaching and the overall squad.

At the moment we look to be banking on him getting back to Auckland and his family to turn around his form. If it does great, secondly if it works, how long will that last?
imo Benji has always seen Shaun Johnson as a mini me. and in many ways they are so similar, i get that. But eventually, after his rugby stint, Benji realised he had to bring something different and did, while Shaun Johnson talked differences and has delivered the same old same old

Reactions: 4 users
Shaun Johnson cant deliver jackshit behind the momentum our team fails to gain, we get dominated from the first tackle. We are going nowhere until we fix that.
Once we fix getting momentum on the first 3 tackles and give our halves something to work on then we can bag out Shaun Johnson, until then we need his long(ish) kicking game to get us out of the constant field position pressure we put ourselves in.

Reactions: 7 users
imo Benji has always seen Shaun Johnson as a mini me. and in many ways they are so similar, i get that. But eventually, after his rugby stint, Benji realised he had to bring something different and did, while Shaun Johnson talked differences and has delivered the same old same old
I've said previously Benji should be someone Johnson should have watched to see how he evolved later in his career. If he wants to play on past his natural gifts and be curtailed by injuries he needed to have evolved.

Benji late in his career was good to watch in a different way to the younger Benji. Calm and could come in and help his side apply pressure by a kick to the in-goal or produce something with his passing game which had evolved over his career.

Shaun Johnson cant deliver jackshit behind the momentum our team fails to gain, we get dominated from the first tackle. We are going nowhere until we fix that.
Once we fix getting momentum on the first 3 tackles and give our halves something to work on then we can bag out Shaun Johnson, until then we need his long(ish) kicking game to get us out of the constant field position pressure we put ourselves in.
The unfortunate thing is this should of been the best Warriors pack he'd play behind.

We had poor go forward before things fell apart but still with Addin Fonua-Blake and Lodge on the field there was something to work off. It was more when those two came off. Now Lodge is gone and Addin Fonua-Blake has been injured.

Afoa and Pene haven't been great this year. I was looking forward to Pene's arrival as he should have been a point of difference with his leg speed.

The fact that the coaching staff haven't promoted or named some of our bigger guys the last few weeks since Lodge departed and Addin Fonua-Blake got injured is pretty telling.

I saw these the other day....

In my opinion that was his best.

Back in the day, he was fast. Now he's a shadow of his former self. How sad is that?

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
He was showing some form and starting to look like he was winding back the clock against the Dogs in a particular game last year until that nasty hamstring tear which would be very difficult to rehabilitate from and hasn't looked the same this season sadly. Was still a solid effort in his return game last week though.

This try is my favorite, right up there with the greatest tries of all time:

• Love

gpred

Contributor
He was showing some form and starting to look like he was winding back the clock against the Dogs in a particular game last year until that nasty hamstring tear which would be very difficult to rehabilitate from and hasn't looked the same this season sadly. Was still a solid effort in his return game last week though.

Probably my favorite too. I always think of this when I think of Shaun.

I feel sorry for him, as you can tell from his interviews he is trying, but he must feel like a prisoner in his own body, the mind is willing but he just can't do what he used too.

Same happened to the likes of Darren Lockyer, but he was able to adapt and become a great playmaker. Shaun's amazing talent shot him in the foot here, as he was so gifted he never saw the need to adapt and hone other skills until it was too late, which sadly it now is.

Reactions: 4 users

tajhay

🏉
For me this highlights what has caused his decline...Is it me or is he carrying a lot more weight on his frame?
It seems to me he's at a good weight. His timing seems really off, esp with his passes. Seems very pre meditated in his plays. Don't expect him to run around players, but not having players in motion around him doesn't help him either.

Our plays in general seem very premeditated and as has been like forever, we don't do decoys or players running lines very well (or at all).

So much made of our bad defence, but our attack is just as bad.

Reactions: 8 users
Our plays in general seem very premeditated and as has been like forever, we don't do decoys or players running lines very well (or at all).

So much made of our bad defence, but our attack is just as bad.
Our ruck speed seems pretty poor across the board, which when we do run our plays always feels like we're running against a set defence thats ready and waiting and can easily shut down anything we throw at them.

And i think what also compounds our attack is wether by instruction or we just dont have the quality in our roster to acheive it, we dont have much of a 2nd phase game to attack off......wether thats through offloading, linebreaks or tacklebreaks....which is the bread and butter of most good attacking units and breaks down defensive structure....we sort of once again are left relying on individual brilliance or an opposition mistake.

Reactions: 5 users

That try and the one that beat the Storm and got us into the 2011 GF. My favourite tries ever.

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks for posting the Johnson highlights. I went down a bit of a YouTube rabbit hole watching more highlights.

Brought my son across to have a look. Also showed him the 2003 over the head pass against the Broncos and the Friend back flip pass. Had to show him the club wasn't always crap and has provided some great moments.

Reactions: 9 users